Were you born with a silver spoon in your mouth?

school or college or work

• Total voters

Rosyryan

Visit site
I don't suppose we struggle but my husband would be a bit mad if he found out how much I spend on 1 horse and pony, plus propping up finacilly 2 sons 1 at Vet school the other at med school,maybe i need to get a job!

SusieJane

Visit site
More plastic spoon, than silver!

My parents worked their guts out. Dad was a fireman, Mum a char, but left us nothing financially. What I did get was invaluable lessons that hard work will get you what ever you want.

Met my wonderful hard working hubby, and we decided to make the best of every penny, of every day ~ thats our motto!

Both born on rough council estates ~ now have 30+acres farm in Kent, plus properties we rent out.

Can't tell you the times we've cried with stress, wondering if its all going to go pear shaped, worried how we going to get through winter etc,

But through it all, I have been a MILLIONAIRE!!

Poor in Purse, Rich in Love ~

Patches

Visit site
We're not really any of the options on your list as I refuse to accept that class and wealth are totally connected.

We don't have credit cards as we don't believe in credit or loans etc. If we want it, we save first. Nothing to do with being middle class, just being sensible with money.

We live on our own farm which has been in my husband's family for three generations (four now we have a daughter I guess). It's paid for and the farm pays for all utilities. My husband doesn't draw a huge wage from the farm but what he does draw is totally disposable income.

We don't have holidays, simply because we have a dairy farm to run and cows don't milk themselves. Don't bother with posh cars as we don't often venture far from the farm. My husband and I are not materialistic in any way shape or form (although he did HAVE to have a new LCD tv lol)

I don't own posh, expensive horses. I'm only a leisure rider not competitive.

Basically, we live a simple life through choice. Living the way that we do does mean we have money at our disposal to make life comfortable enough to enjoy the simple pleasures we desire.

Certainly would never class us as middle class. Don't know anyone personally who works longer hours than my husband does. Farming is not easy. Years gone by, farmers would've been considered noble gentry, now we're just known as the dirty farmers who live on a smelly farm! Middle class people may not necessarily be wealthy though, they just move in higher circles.

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
probably yes, but during my teens it fell out!

Parents both from wealthy old money familys, (mums side invented something 100s of years ago, dads side had business interests in the midlands) My granny wasn't allowed to join the pony club as it was full of common peasants and had governesses etc (so very much wish she was still alive, the hysterical stories she used to tell me!

my dads parent then bought them thier 1st house, & my mums parents gave them thier stable block (huge victorian number) to convert with the proceeds of the 1st house so until i was 14/15 they never had a mortgage, credit cards or anything, we had ponies, nice holidays and a great life style,

aged about 13 they split up & sold our then house, with my mum buying the land & building back, we then spent 5 years fighting the planning authorities to get permission to convert the barn into a house (living in a static caravan for the most part!!) Finally it was converted 3 years ago & my mum now has a stunning (if rather to big for just her) barn conversion, owns & runs her own business and has a very nice lifestyle thank you

Admittedly we still kept the horses/private school etc through out most of this and although when my brother failed his 11+ and went to state school when he failed his GCSEs he got packed off to boarding school to 'sort him out'

OH & I have a nice 4 bed detached house, owned yes, mainly by the bank, partly becasue to buy that without a mortgage where i live we'd need more than just old money and nice diamonds, and yes for now we will always need a mortgage, but we have nice cars , horses and at least 3 holidays a year, but OH works very hard and earns a very good wage,

as sooty says money has nothing to do with class, & the above illustrates it well i think