western saddle fit? (photo included)

kitimo1

New User
Visit site
Hello,

I bought this today from my horses last owner. They are very experienced and have always rode western.

I am just a little worried as he has such a tiny short back and ive heard that this can sometimes interfere with kidneys?

We do walkouts and nice hacks with him-nothing too strenuous.

This is his original saddle that he was brought up with.

Thanks!
cheswesternsaddle-1.jpg

CowgirlACH

Visit site
The saddle needs to sit a little more forward on the withers. Plus, the saddle pad is far too small for a western saddle. Have you ever considered an arabian western saddle? They are designed for the short backs of arabians and the large ribs as well.
smile.gif

Honeypots

Visit site
I would say its a touch long although the actual seat doesn't seem to interfere with him... I'm no expert though..sorry. I have a similar problem so will be interested in the replies..

Very, very cute cobbie though
smile.gif

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
I disagree - surely if it sits further forwards on the withers it is going to seriously restrict his shoulder movement?

OP - I think you shouldn't worry too much about the length of the saddle as the panels are such a wide weight bearing surface, but if you are in need of some reassurance then perhaps find someone local who is more experienced in western riding to check it out?
Is he giving any indication of discomfort at all?

CowgirlACH

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree - surely if it sits further forwards on the withers it is going to seriously restrict his shoulder movement?

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends- You'd really have to see the saddle in person. I agree with you on the wide weight bearing surface making it less of a problem. The only thing you have to be sure is that the saddle is not rubbing him by being so long.

Keltic

Visit site
I think its in the correct position at the front it sits the same as the one I use. I have just compared pics although i have the opposite problem as she is too long in the back!! anyway here is a photo for comparison (like your cob!!)

HPIM0161.jpg

Cahill

Visit site
perhaps try the pad with the fringes along the bottom instead of the sides.
i think it looks a little long but would not put it more forwards.
i bought a western saddle 2nd hand and had some one out to ckeck it.i have a little lift on mine at the back and was told it was ok for now. and i picked his brains a lot too.

here is my unfit (but not for long) cob.

PC110750.jpg

please let me know if you are selling yours.

ps i have a proper nice think felt pad now.

kitimo1

New User
Visit site
Thankyou all very much for your help!
smile.gif

I only collected this saddle today so hopefully time will tell as to whether or not it is correctly fitted. It was nice to recieve advice from other western enthusiasts!

xxx

spanishmustangs

www.spanishmustangs.org.uk
That saddle is too long for that horse IMO. It should finish at least a couple of Inches in front of the hip. It is sitting in the right position just behind the shoulder blade though by the looks of it.
It looks like a really big seat. How tall & heavy are you?
I'm 5'6 and weigh 10 1/2 st. I take a 15 " saddle. That looks like a 17", measured from the horn straight back to the cantle.

appyjude

Visit site
Saddle too long......think about what will happen to it when you put weight into it. Where are you located webbsy,. chances are I can put you in touch with a western saddle fitter in your area.

Also check out http://www.western-saddler.co.uk/ Maria is great and travels all around. The weight baring surface of a western saddle is no compensation for a correctly fitted and correct length saddle.

Just for info, I have emailed her this link......

Jude.

westernsaddler

New User
Visit site
Thanks Jude for the link
smile.gif

Webbsy - the saddle is certainly way too long for your horse. The rear silver concho should never go beyond the last rib. Your saddle certainly goes way beyond the last rib. The saddle already looks too low over the shoulders so chances are it will be bridging which will add even more weight to the weak point behind the last rib and over the shoulders.

Normally you should indeed be able to place the saddle over the shoulders. This is only possible, comfortably, if the saddle has enough flair in the front to come out over the shoulder to allow enough room for free movement.

Lastly, under a treed western saddle you must always use a good quality saddlepad. A blanket/Polypad or anything not properly designed to absorb shock is of no use. A western saddle differs from english in that it has no shock absorbing capabilities built in. That is why you need to buy the best quality pad you can afford. A blanket will add nothing to your horses comfort.

So to summarise - your saddle looks too wide over the withers/shoulder area and is way too long for your horse in its present set-up. I would not ride in this saddle at all if you do not want to damage your horse. Sorry to be so blunt - but I would want to know if it was me
smile.gif
It is possible that if you get a decent pad that will lift the saddle you may be able to move the saddle forward over the shoulder and therefore you may be able to move it far forward enough to not interfere with his loins. But you must watch that it is not restricting his shoulder movement and that you can get your hand easily down over his/her shoulder with you onboard.

Good luck
smile.gif