Wet Food Recommendations

J_sarahd

Visit site
So, Sonny had to have an operation yesterday to remove crystals in his bladder. Vet says they’re most likely caused by his diet - he’s on raw turkey mince and a salmon & rice kibble that was recommended by his breeder.

Vet has suggested changing the raw food for a wet food but the market is so vast we don’t know what is best.

We have bought a few tins of pedigree as suggested by our vet to tide us over while we research what would be best for him going forward.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I put both of mine onto Forthglade October last year and am happy with it (order it from zooplus!). One was on kibble, the other on raw as he'd had alot of anal gland issues, so far-so good.

misst

Visit site
Forthglade, Pooch and Mutt and Naturediet Feelgood seem ok for my sensitive one. Lillys kitchen and canagan are also good for both of mine but a bit more expensive.

IrishMilo

Visit site
I switch between Forthglade, Tesco's own (which is actually better nutrition-wise than a lot of the expensive brands) and Natures Menu.

druid

Visit site
What type of bladder stones? Some are very diet dependant. Can you ask the vet which food they would recommend

Reactions: Aru

Calluna

Visit site
I’m another who uses forthglade (with kibble in our case) and dog does well on it. In an emergency (ie if I’ve been completely disorganised) I substitute butchers tripe, as the cans are really easy to get hold of, and have had no ill effects with the temporary switchover

J_sarahd

Visit site
What type of bladder stones? Some are very diet dependant. Can you ask the vet which food they would recommend

Yeah vet says it’s likely due to raw feed so to feed wet food. She said anything is suitable but mentioned chappie and pedigree - which is what we bought - but I know pedigree aren’t necessarily the best

meleeka

Visit site
One of mine is on Natures Menu and the other on Pets at Home Step up to Naturals which is surprisingly nutritious. Have a look on allaboutdogfood.com for ratings and info.

Petalpoos

Visit site
The Forthglade is occasionally on sale in supermarkets on special deals for £1 a pack, and I have also bought it on Amazon for that price. I always have a look when shopping and, if I see it discounted I buy loads of it (2 shops of 20packs last time) and store it. We are probably not going to see it at sub one pound prices any more with the current inflation rates.

pistolpete

Visit site
Wainwright’s do a wet food too I think. Forthglade sounds a good option. If mine wasn’t doing so well on raw I might change to it.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Wainwright’s do a wet food too I think. Forthglade sounds a good option. If mine wasn’t doing so well on raw I might change to it.

Thank you. Wainwright’s is one I’ve heard is good. I’d love to keep Sonny on raw but definitely not worth the risk (or the vet bills!)

Archangel

Visit site
Naturo and Forthglade, depending what is on offer plus Orijen.

Shocking price rise on Naturo - before Christmas £5 in Morrisons and it is now £6 a box.

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Just started Buddy on Wainwright's (https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0877/wainwrights-trays-adult-grain-free) for calories after he dropped a bit of weight. He gets it with kibble and have balanced it out with bran flakes for more fibre as he had very loose poos, despite the kibble. He now gets quite a mix of food but he seems to be doing much better than he was before. Hoping to cut down on the bran flakes now he's poos are settling. Still playing a bit of a game with finding exactly what's right for him, but Wainwright's trays are reasonablly priced and good in rating and he's put weight on so so far, so good.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Did the vet not recommend a low purine diet? There are lots of brands that do low purine. You can feed raw meat, just check which ones are low in purine.

I don’t think raw food is necessarily an issue. Pedigree is, as you say, not the best.

Odyssey

Visit site
I mix in Butcher's Tripe Loaf with kibble. It's good quality and has no "derivatives", artificial ingredients or grains. You can get 12 x 400g tins in Tesco for £7.50, which is excellent value for the quality. My dog has sensitive digestion and he's fine on it.

My mum's dog had a lot of bladder problems, but she was a lot better on Nutriment low purine raw, which is recommended for dogs prone to bladder crystals etc. Personally I'd research what to feed, as vets aren't always experts on pet nutrition.

Last edited:

YorkshireLady

Visit site
you may find that on the allaboutdogfood site you can look for lower purine as well I think, certainly have a pretty good look at content etc of the feed.

Another here on Natures Menu Country Hunter and I do add in some wilsons cold pressed. I tried forthglade but he really didnt like...

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
Following with interest, my dog has gone off his raw food following a bit of a bug (I knew he wasnt feeling great as he use to wolf it down!). Butchers tripe seemed to be about the best for quality/price for wet food.