What am I doing wrong?

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I know you get time wasters when advertising a horse, but what am I doing wrong?

I have written my pony's full loan advert very honestly. He is not an easy ride, he is strong and knows it and needs a firm yet sympathetic rider. To the right person he will genuinely be an amazing partner in crime.

Originally, I didn't state his height in the advert as he is only 13.2/3 and I knew that height would attract children. I stated he was a not a child's ride twice, additionally to saying how strong he was numerous times. I have since added his height into the advert as I have had a few messages asking and stated again that Haflinger's are built for strength so don't let his small stature put you off, but stated again HE IS NOT A CHILDS PONY!

I have added pictures of him heading up to a jump so it can be seen that he is strong and there is nothing in the advert that suggests he is a child's pony, plod etc. So why am I getting so many emails about him being for a child?

The best one so far is this:

Person: My daughter loves your pony and would love to come and try him!
Me: Can you give me some more information on you and yours daughters age/experience?
Person: Of course! My daughter is 8 and looking for a first ridden to gain confidence on.
Me: I'm really sorry but he isn't the pony for you (went on to explain why)
Person: But she loves him!
Me: He really isn't suitable...
Person: Well I am the judge of that so when can we come and see him?
Me: (Banging head of keyboard) ...

This is hard enough already. Is it bad manners to just ignore any messages... If I reply and say he is not suitable and they come back, is it really that rude to ignore them?

I appreciate that there are some amazing teen riders out there who he would be perfect for, but the last thing I want is for anyone to get hurt or my pony to get numerous joyrides which will just make his fizziness worse.

Any advice other than just to delete the advert and keep plodding on?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think I've found your advert, tbh I think it is slightly wordy but I understand why you want to give as much info as possible.
If I were you I'd change your title to include something like 'suit confident teen/adult' or similar just to try and put people wanting kids ponies off right from the start. I don't think I'd read too much into your photos if i was looking for a pony of that size, so don't expect people to always see what you are trying to show ;)

Ignore the unsuitable ones - you've been perfectly clear in your response, maybe get a final one prepared that is quite firm to the effect of 'thanks for your interest, I hope you find the right pony for you but I'm not prepared to let you try this one.' It's not rude, you are just being firm.

Hopefully you'll get a perfect match soon :)

DD

Visit site
your doing nothing wrong. People don't read things properly and because of the ponies size want it to be suitable for their child so ring anyway. A sign of the times.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Welcome to the club, you are doing nothing wrong, people DO NOT read the blinking ad!
I stated that my lad needs a light weight rider and needs consistent work and of course I get 14+ stone adults ringing and other people ringing me to tell me he is a cob and can take more. If you don't mind I will follow the advice of my highly qualified vet who suggested the weight to me but thanks for ringing and wasting my time!!!
In the end I found it best to only get people to pm me and I make them write what they want and then I only invite suitable candidates to ring me.
Also try to keep the advert short and with relevant info. The rest you can tell them if they are interested.

Merlod

Visit site
Personally I would include his height as it's quite important (as an adult who rides ponies I went to try a 14.2 chunky unreg sec D that turned out to be a 13.3 average build pony so total waste of time) and instead of saying "would suit competent teenager/small adult" I would say "suitable only for competent teenager/small adult, strictly no children/novices"

I totally agree with ingoring the messages, maybe just make a standard (thanks but no thanks) reply to copy and paste and don't engage with them further if they try to argue their case.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I have added his height now with a disclaimer that he is not a children's pony. I just wish people would read the ad, or at the very least listen to my responses when I say he is not suitable for them.

GirlFriday

Visit site
Your problem may well be partly pictures... Cute blonde animals attract more attention.

I've not searched for your ad but it may be worth considering a picture free ad.

crabbymare

Visit site
you are not doing anything wrong. its the people looking at the ad who are unable to read and comprehend that are the problem.

xDundryx

Visit site
Whereabouts in the country are you HaffiesRock? I've got friends dotted around, a few of which ride ponies and have a blast, I could maybe share your Ad if you want to PM it?

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Your problem may well be partly pictures... Cute blonde animals attract more attention.

I've not searched for your ad but it may be worth considering a picture free ad.

I've tried to avoid any "cute" pictures and put mainly action shots that I change every couple of days as I have so many. Preloved don't allow pictureless adverts. I have placed an ad on Horses 4 Homes but it still isn't live 5 days later...

I will see what the next couple of days bring and if its no better I'll try a short but sweet ad instead.

pansymouse

Visit site
your doing nothing wrong. People don't read things properly and because of the ponies size want it to be suitable for their child so ring anyway. A sign of the times.

Absolutely - we've just spend 4 weeks saying no to people wanting to loan our pony for their children when the advert very stated he was only suitable for an adult rider. Thankfully we have now found him a lovely adult rider home and they are besotted with each other.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Whereabouts in the country are you HaffiesRock? I've got friends dotted around, a few of which ride ponies and have a blast, I could maybe share your Ad if you want to PM it?

I am Nottinghamshire and will PM you.

Thanks everyone I do feel a little better.

Irish gal

Visit site
You're doing nothing wrong HR but when you're dealing with the public (as in selling a horse) you will get all sorts - that's just part of it. Just tell those pushy unsuitable mothers that the pony will kill their darling child 'stone dead'. I find that usually quietens them:)

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Haffiesrock what about advertising on a Haflingers owners site - a UK wide one? A lady I know travelled to Devon to buy her Haflinger - we are in Central Scotland. At least then you may bypass the "I want that pretty pony mummy and I want it now!" phone calls. Wishing you better phone calls soon.

PorkChop

Visit site
I don't think you are doing anything wrong either!

It's just part and parcel of selling/loaning.

Don't loose heart, I am sure you will someone who is perfect :)

Mari

Visit site
So it's not just me!
I'm not selling a horse but am looking for a loan home (hacking only as has mild arthritis) & have advertised him as not suitable for schooling or jumping & as only 5 years old is not a schoolmaster or suited to a nervous novice though he is sane safe & sensible.
However he is a stunningly beautiful Palamino so I have had loads of people who obviously think I don't know what I am talking about. Also those who arrange a day/time to come & try him & don't turn up, neither do they message, in fact I never hear from them again. Are these time wasters?
Then there are those who do turn up. Give him a good work out, rave about how wonderful he is & they'll ring me to arrange for me to visit where they would keep him. Never hear from them again either. Are these joy riders?
I don't have a problem answering loads of questions, sending loads of photos & video. I'm exactly like this when I'm horse hunting as I don't want to waste anyone's time by going to see something that isn't suitable.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Same story.. Sold a horse specifically advertised as dressage only, hates jumping. Spent two days answering questions about him by email only for her to write 'he will jump Discovery, won't he?'. I had trouble holding my finger back from the keyboard!

HaffiesRock

Visit site
When I sold a Haflinger years ago, I had a phone call from a gentleman who said it was his daughters birthday and she wanted my pony. I asked about hers and their experience and he said not to worry, they have a large garden. I explained that you cant keep a large animal in a garden to which he replied, he would pay me double in cash if he could come and get the pony today! He was a much loved pony so I obviously said no, but he was for sale for 4k so I can imagine a lot of people would have happily taken 8k no questions asked!

JulesRules

Visit site
I've found your ad and think it is very clear and truthful. Detailed but not boringly waffley.

If unsuitable people contact you I would send a polite "I'm sorry, but I don't think you are a good match " type message and then ignore any further correspondence.

As for the mother who implied she would be the judge of what pony was suitable for her daughter - you did very well to hold back!!! I would have given her a piece if my mind. I'll be the judge of who I loan my horse too and it won't be you!!!!