What are the 2012 achievements that made you smile most?

only_me

Visit site
Some lovely photos on here :)

Big achievement one has to be me actually graduating from uni with a 2:1 and becoming a "professional" :eek:

Horse wise, for Billy to have come on so much, his first win at PN and going clear xc in all his events this year, including a clear inside the time at his first CIC* in the 6 year old class! All the more impressive considering he only did 3 novices before that. It has shown me how brave he is xc and how much he loves it! Hopefully in 2013 it will be onward and upwards! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PANdzZnVrdU

Another achievement is that I worked on a horse safari abroad - all using my own initiative and creating my own contacts! :)

And a photo of Billy doing what he does best!
billydonkey.jpg

Quadro

Visit site
Its been a bit of a rubbish year but having started fatty eventing (a horse we were told to put down) jumping dc everytime with 11th being our worst place and 1st being our best!
The arrival of a very very cute connemara yearling who everyone seems to instantly love ! Also realising what an amazing friend i have in someone on this thread ;)
Q

charlimouse

Visit site
Jem finishing the season 7th in the BE foundation points league table and coming 3rd in the Yorskshire and North East Eventers League.

IMG_0001_NEW.jpg

Getting Pickle (need I say more?!). The most awesome little horse in the world. Finishing the season with a win at BE90 and gracing the pages of H&H with a picture and headline! I can't believe he is only 5, a very wise head on young shoulders!

665941_10151267146860149_528684811_o.jpg

PickleinHH.jpg

ihatework

Visit site
If you had asked me 6 weeks ago I'd have said I'd had an utterly rubbish year. My lovely 6yo had an accident in February which we thought we got away with, but gradually over time it became apparent we hadnt :( that combined with allergic asthma means his competitive future is dubious.

Then I had an amazing stroke of good fortune and have the ride on a lovely new horse, ride my first ever affiliated elementary a fortnight ago and enjoyed every second of it. Even came 2nd :)

Karran

Visit site
I'm not competitive but mine's answering an advert on a whim and taking charge of a stroppy 5 year old new forest. I have never had anything so green or young to play with and I beat his napping and bucking demons, taught him proper canter rather than scrabble, legyield and halfhalt and even plucked up the courage to do my first teeny jump in 15years.
I hacked out on my own all over Surrey with him and ended in a lovely 4hr hack at Esher Common kicking up autumn leaves.
Sadly I can't play any more as my job is too far away for commuting to him but I'm proud that I turned the silly pony into one that's safe to hack alone and one his young owner now rides happily and safely.
Job done. :)
I also got to see all the olympic eventing so another highlight.

Next year I turn 30 and have vowed that if I pass my probation at work and get kept on I'll finally take the plunge and get my own. No more borrowing ponies, rs rides and loans and shares.

Can't wait :)

JGC

Visit site
What a lovely thread! So lovely to hear of everyone's achievements.

So this year has been a pretty terrible year, starting with me coming off my youngster and breaking my ribs on the 2nd January! Only a few rides on her before she got a progressive ethmoidal haematoma. So first achievement is getting her better. This is her after her last check-up all doped up:

IMG00204-20121029-12311.jpg

Next achievements were my first wins and my first 70+% score with my older mare (she'll never make a dressage horse) at novice equivalent:

MALAFRETAZ2012217.jpg

Next achievement is getting my beautiful boy back to health after nearly eight months of illness:

IMG00199-20121017-1257.jpg

Then going jumping again with an adorable schoolmaster, having lost my nerve three years ago:

CCE016.jpg

3Beasties

Visit site
I haven't achieved very much at all this year compared to all of you, horse wise I've had a very quiet year on the riding front but since the Summer I have -

Sold my trailer, past my lorry test and bought a lorry (major deal for me as I am now independent for the first time ever!)

I sold two horses having never sold one in my life (one was my youngster who just hadn't grown big enough and the other was one that I 'found' but wasn't right for me so I re-homed him as and when I could).

I also bought myself a second 'ridden' horse as my older TB is ready to start taking it easy when I am wanting to start competing now that I have a lorry.

Due to work emergencies and various problems with new beasty I haven't achieved what I hoped I would with her yet but I'm hoping next year will be the year I really get cracking and start to get out and about.

This is the new beastie -

20120912_115310_2-1_zpse2800923.jpg

Hoping that we get over our teething problems soon and we can start having some fun :D

lucemoose

Visit site
In March I had to make the decision to put my best friend down. It keeps hitting me and Im full of what ifs and maybes and couldawouldashouldas..
230079_10150195302418518_624095_n.jpg

But I think I did her right, it was for her and not for me so that is something I must take away as being the hardest part of ownership.

I had the honour of looking after one of Londons finest in a short tenure as Met Police staff
549368_10150780171803518_2118528769_n.jpg

I then went to work as an instructor in HK, OMG, I am amazed by how much of the world there is to see and how endearing that it is much smaller than you think!
527073_10151063082328518_1532286381_n.jpg

And now I am in NZ, with a young TB who recently came 10th at her first ODE with a score of 25 in the dressage...
319052_10151250122463518_1605435690_n.jpg

AND I think Ive managed my Christmas shopping too....AND got on a plane without Valium this year!

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Genuinely don't have one, I can't think of just one moment as literally ever second with Mally I am grinning like a fool!

If I had to pick one though, crossing the finish line on our first ever BE100 a year to the day that she saw her first ever XC fences. Given that was supposed to be our end goal, I suppose you could say I was smiling just a little! ;) quietly weeping into her mane might be a better description mind you!
Thinking about it I can't believe that was his year, BE100 are so easy for her now, I can't believe I ever thought of them as big and scary! On that note, flying around Keysoe (and her saving my bacon) is probably another big smiley moment, the biggest track I have ever walked and she ate it up. :D

3Beasties

Visit site
In March I had to make the decision to put my best friend down. It keeps hitting me and Im full of what ifs and maybes and couldawouldashouldas..
230079_10150195302418518_624095_n.jpg

But I think I did her right, it was for her and not for me so that is something I must take away as being the hardest part of ownership.

Was she the chestnut who bucked a lot? I used to really admire your stick-ability!

Sorry that you had to make that decision :(

CrazyMare

Visit site
Taking my home bred 4 year old to the SPSS Young Event Pony classes and not being remotely out of place. And having the realisation while we were there, that despite not having been able to jump much all year, I have a super scopey little pony on my hands

Not an amazing pic, but shows her pop!

30998_10151224351862162_1438159117_n.jpg

I just need to hope she measures over 142cm in the new year, and we are off to try our hand eventing!

561913_10151224352152162_1422128403_n.jpg

The birth of this little chap - Who came home with a 9.25 vet and 9 temprement from his Futurity evaluation

643884_10151146429112162_1864680244_n.jpg

Will be sad to see him go to a new home

416998_10151236148497162_1541125348_n.jpg

My older mare still feeling awesome, and still taking on the jumps (at opening meet, we jumped a hedge I couldn't see over)

527197_10151132171037162_1465097913_n.jpg

Worried1

Visit site
I've had a real mixed year, a few lows but some real highs too!

March Diva produced a stunning bay colt by Royaldik
IMG_5615.jpg

He was everything I could have asked for, added to which he has the loveliest temperament! After Futurity where he just missed Elite, Someone made us an offer which we couldn't refuse. So he has been sold but to a wonderful home and will remain with us to be produced.

Arthur came 3rd at the novice Hickstead Masters semi-final and I was so proud of him given the hurricane conditions!
IMG_0463.jpg

Sadly my lovely Ron was PTS and for a while I was heartbroken
477104_10150798911192664_522832663_11812600_874412852_o.jpg

At the regionals Arthur was a tit! And did this...
ibi_04918_web.jpg

Which meant no amount of this
ibi_04912_web.jpg

Could make up for it!

Blitz did his first advanced :D and that tail coat got dusted off after 6 long years ;)
IMG1_0135web.jpg

It was here that the best ever pic of Mr W was taken...
The infamous cooooooeeeeee!
IMG1_0058.jpg

The search for a new horse for me began and we stumbled across this...
P5211967.jpg

I liked her a lot!!!!!!!
Now we look like this...
998E7C7C-C9AD-423C-BFB9-38155FC03E83-813-000000753F1CDADB.jpg

My wonderful old boy Finn retired but not before him and my arse became famous thanks to a fat news story!
63C21EC1-C64B-48CE-BBE5-C8FB0033548B-1508-00000142834325BF.jpg

Arthur was 7th in Elementary Open and Blitz was 5th in Advanced Medium at the Area festival at Pacesham.

In 2012 we lost three of our oldies Casper the fox terrier was 14, Ben the black lab was 12 and Tekkel the Tekkel hound was also 13.

One of our wonderful grooms left to go travelling to Oz and we still miss her :(

Twiglet

Visit site
Lovely thread :)

My biggest achievements this year are the firsts of everything with the ginger beast...his first XC schooling (uber cool about everything he met), his first dressage comps, getting him jumping in the school, and generally getting to know him. He's a bit special :D And watching him grow faster than I ever thought possible :p

buzzstandingoverayear.jpg

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
Lovely thread and great pics!

:) My stand out moment has to be jumping 2 wire fences out hunting :)
Never asked Beau to do anything like it before and he just popped over :D :D

Also just generally going hunting. Been a life long ambition and so,I am delighted to have had the chance.

Scarlett

Visit site
My 2012 didnt get off to a great start. Early in the year my lovely mare was diagnosed with navicular and my OH's horse, Rascal, hurt himself in the field and was facing 18 months off too :( I'd gotten a new exracer in Dec last year and he was still settling in and getting over some physical issues, things looked a tad bleak for a while.

We have ended 2012 however with my mare in foal to a wonderful staliion, she is sound having gone barefoot and I'm just crossing everything we get a healthy foal and she can return to work next year. She is currently in a field of mares and foals, fat and happy :)

Rascal is also back in work following 6 months off with a suspensory tweak, having a hock injected and a course of accupuncture to deal with his SI issue. My OH cantered him last weekend having been prepared to not be riding him again until next winter. He's also sound barefoot and moving better than ever. Rascal has been on loan to us for 4 years and we have just been able to buy him, we go to pick up his passport tomorrow and I expect there to be tears shed between me and his old owners :)

Lastly Indy, my asbo exracer, has finished the year far better than I ever hoped, he's fit, sound, looks great, is lovely to ride and is the most cheerful horse you could ever meet. He's a pleasure to have and own and not what I expected to end up with at all :)

This pic in particular puts a smile on my face, mostly just due to the look on his - Indy last weekend, our one year 'owniversary'...
DSCF1296.jpg

Last edited:

DuckToller

Visit site
Lovely to see so many happy stories, genuinely made me smile for people, as had the *****tiest of years myself.

Sold my beloved mare after a knee-jerk reaction to some problems, and hugely deeply regret it, can't believe I let her go, bought a more established horse for daughter which almost immediately did a tendon and will be barely field sound at best, then friend's horse that daughter jumps stopped at PC championships and had to retire (daughter mortified and lost a lot of confidence although horse was later found to be sore), had two old friends pts, then our terrier died in my arms a few weeks ago, totally unexpected although he was 12.

Anyone beat that? I am sure a few can, but let's keep this a happy thread :)

2013 can only get better and I might be able to face horse hunting in the new year - oh god, that's just depressed me again.

ilvpippa

Visit site
Gaining a real bond with my tricky tb. Still have our bad days, but these are usually over stressage. Realising what an amazing hunter she is!

caramel

Visit site
Going for a 2 hour hack, cantering in the open, all in control and we had a fab time! When others came cantering past us he didn't even try and race or go with them :)

Cedars

Visit site
Personally for me, my young horse being backed and going off hacking. Such a small achievement (and I've not ridden her out the school yet!) but she's taken everything in her stride and been a superstar. Really proud.

My OH's highlights have been his first eventing season. Only at 80/90, but to begin with a very successful season out which built up his riding ability to levels previously untapped.

Our low for the year has been having Hen put down at the end of the season, followed by a monstrous horse hunting process which ended in a failed vetting last week :( gutted. Back to the drawing board in the new year.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Very similar to ops, watching my daughter bring on her pony. She backed her herself spring '11, aged 6 & except my input on the ground (and help prepping for backing) has done it all herself. At 11.1 & dainty, whilst a tiny competent teen to ride away would have been nice, I don't know any under 6stone with tack & under 5'. So progress slightly slower. However this summer she jumped her first course in a consistent canter, done little prelim tests at home, won or been placed in local show classes every time. What really made me smile was a mum outside a first ridden class daughter won muttering about it being ok for people who can buy ready made expensive push button ponies like ours & loads of lessons. No, £10 & a lot of work. Also watching daughter unintentionally jump my 14.2 over something a lot bigger than she's used to, or actually ready for. Pony kept her onboard, daughter slightly rattled. But then asked to jump it again because the fact it was a bit scary made it more fun. Mean mummy said no, but secretly looking forward to next year when her ability catches up with her confidence.
And the fact my 23yr old, childhood 14.2 is still the picture of health.

EventingMum

Visit site
Lovely thread – thanks Measles. Well done to everyone, no matter how big or small each achievement is significant and the pleasure horses have given us all is evident.

This year hasn’t been our best at all due to my ill health and son’s limited time due to his business growing significantly, which is obviously great but does mean compromises have to be made. However there are still some highlights:

The year started off with a pre season dressage competition. Our 2* boy had his first out a year after breaking his jaw. He did the novice and elementary coming 2nd in both with high 60’s % scores. The following day we took our mare and the very immature 6 yo for his first ever competition. The mare did the elementary coming 2nd again with a high 60’s % score and the 6 yo did the prelim coming 5th with around 64% (can’t remember the exact scores). So all in all a good start :)

Son was a guinea pig rider for a lecture demo on what dressage judges are looking for. The 6yo did a prelim test and went well and the older boy did a medium test and also went really well especially as dressage isn’t always easy for him. So with some lovely comments and good advice we felt well prepared to tackle that phase of the events we had planned.

Our plans to get out eventing were delayed with so many cancellations however we eventually got ready for Burgie. Devastatingly the older boy damaged his tendon the week before and we still don’t know what the future will hold – this horse has given so much he really didn’t deserve this :( He’s still off and has had shockwave therapy and is up to 2 30mins walks in hand a day. He’ll be scanned again next month so keeping our fingers crossed. We have no expectations now, being off for 2 – 3 seasons will make a return to level he was at difficult but hopefully we can give him a happy life one way or the other.

The 6yo did get out to some BE90’s and proved he is keen to learn. He coped well with his first event but a week later went to Hopetoun where he did a lovely test for 23, had one down sj and clear xc (albeit with TP’s) finishing 2nd :D As the season progressed he gained confidence and there’s lots to build on for next season but for now he’s enjoying a rest and still growing.

At a loose end we took the mare out to a dressage comp last month. The poor mare gets put on the back burner regularly through no fault of her own – I would sell her but finding the right home wouldn’t be easy as she needs a rider who’s prepared to get to know her as so would be unlikely to go well at a viewing, it’s taken son a long time to fully understand her. However she was delighted to be out and won her class (elementary) by over 5% gaining a respectable 68.7%.

Last month we also backed the mare’s homebred 3yo son. This had been delayed from the summer due to my on-going ill health. However he has been a star, very easy and straight forward. He’s happily walking, trotting and cantering and has worked over some poles and popped some small fences. He’s now being turned away till next year where we’re hoping he’ll continue to be so good and potentially be an eventer for son, it would be nice to think at some point in the future he had something capable of competing at a higher level again.

Finally – well done if you got to the end of this – may I thank everyone for their contributions on here, due to being incapacitated over the last few months you’ve helped me pass the time and kept me amused, educated and horrified in varying degrees – I hope everyone has a successful 2013 :D

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
After being on a non-starter competition wise this year due to all the rain (1 1/2 tournaments in total!!!) I'd have to say passing my Cat C so I can drive my lorry!!!! :D

Butterbean

Visit site
Best moment of the year for me was taking my horse to a walk and trot test. It was a huge achievement as he has been retired in the field for over 3 years following a horrendous 2008 when he had surgery for kissing spines, then an eye problem which resulted in weeks of hospitalisation and eventual eye removal, followed by a tendon injury. When he was in hospital I vowed that one day we would get out once again even if only for a walk and trot test and this year we did it; he seemed really pleased to be ridden again.

yayb2_zps0592e473.jpg

showjumpingfilly

Visit site
Well done to everyone.

Highlight of my year was Blue Chip - hadn't been before and I loved it - even if I didn't get anywhere in my final my horse tried and thats what mattered.

Another high has to be BN regionals - i only did one after neither of us jumping anywhere since the previous summer and she went clear - so proud of her.

The rest of the year has been horrendous - horses misbehaving and other non horsey troubles. Hoping 2013 is a much much better year!!

diamondfs_85

www.bridgewaterridingclub.com
Qualifying blue chip, scope , jumping clears in fox and jumping my 1st 1.30 at aintree premier show. Never ever thought I'd find such an amazing horse on loan that has restored my battered confidence and my love of the sport so much. He is my horse of a lifetime and I owe him so much :)

daffy44

Visit site
What a lovely idea for a thread, thank you Measles. One of my highlights for this year was doing my first Inter 1 with a reasonable percentage, it was so lovely to have my first time at that level on a horse I have produced myself since she was a just backed youngster, so it was a first for both of us. She has also qualified for the Petplan Championships at psg, so i an extremely proud of my lovely, lovely girl.
Another highlight for me was backing my fabulous youngster, who i bought as a very young foal, and to finally get to ride him was wonderful! He is proving to live up to all my expectations, being placed in the top ten in two Premier League shows, and qualifiying for the 4yr old Championships on his first try.
Now i just hope they stay sound and well in 2013!

SKW

Visit site
Buying my first horse after a long hunt and a few failed vettings. He's absolutely wonderful, and he's already teaching me so much.

EstherYoung

Visit site
What a lovely thread :)

I rode my pony for the first time:
397236_3738649985601_1120102395_n.jpg

We thought the year was going to be a washout when young Felix chipped his pedal bone but he came sound and the vet said we could take him showing. Despite being a bit of a weed he wasn't outclassed (judge said some lovely things about him) and he behaved like an old pro:
540425_3476767638706_1398275263_n.jpg

And I ran my first half marathon:
12775_3794315257198_1623387430_n.jpg