What are these insects that are breaking down the horse poo?

popsicle

Visit site
Hi everyone!... Just a random question really. Have noticed that a couple of times a year, the horse poo seems to be broken down into 'sawdust' almost within a couple of days and when you poo pick the barrow is full of tiny little insects... Anyone know what they are?

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Dung beetles - fabulous little beetles that eagerly break down the dung. They get a beautiful iridescent purple tummy when they reach maturity :)

Ollie's Mum

Visit site
My guess would be dung beetles too.

I once tried to gather up some poo with my poo picker rake and wondered why a bit seemed to be moving of it's own accord :confused: Turned out I was trying to scoop up a little mouse :eek: Time to get to Specsavers methinks!!

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
Yep dung beetles - they also lay eggs in horse poo which I only discovered last summer after panicing that they were worm eggs! Lol!

Toffee44

Visit site
My guess would be dung beetles too.

I once tried to gather up some poo with my poo picker rake and wondered why a bit seemed to be moving of it's own accord :confused: Turned out I was trying to scoop up a little mouse :eek: Time to get to Specsavers methinks!!

Did that today, there I was laying a fresh bed and my bank kept moving!!!!! :confused: Little mouse then tried desperately to climb up the wall as I was giving the bank a pounding....I then screamed like the inner girly girl I am :)

Beausmate

Visit site
Are these the bronze coloured beetles, about half a cm long? I must say, while I think they're doing a fine job of reducing my muck heap, it takes ages to pick the fluffy poos and is slowly sending me potty!! :D

Ladydragon

Visit site
Did that today, there I was laying a fresh bed and my bank kept moving!!!!! :confused: Little mouse then tried desperately to climb up the wall as I was giving the bank a pounding....I then screamed like the inner girly girl I am :)

I know I shouldn't, but that really did make me laugh... :D

Tormenta

Visit site
No not dung beetles, they tend to be found in the poo when you pick it up or flick it over, I think she is talking about heaps of little flies, I sometimes even find them in November if it is still warm, they crawl all over and through the poo and don't fly away even if you are scraping it up (maybe just off and on again) They are appeariing with us again now and in the last few weeks, no beetles yet here though :)