What Are Your Absolute NO Points Re Horses?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
No windsuckers, cribbers, box walking. Does my nut in to see/hear it. A horse who had been at my yard for 15 years ruined the fencing! No bucking/rearing/bolting, not even in excitement, I'm far too much of a wuss these days.

No hot horses, I need something that can live with little work and not be bonkers.

Has to be easy to catch, load, travel.

Sarcoids I've dealt with and they're all gone so unless they're massive/in awkward places, I'd cope *wonders if exclusion might be lifted on insurance*

I'd never have a feathery thing again, his feathers are a trauma.

Mares: I just don't ever want one.

littlen

Visit site
I have the most perfect horse in every way, on the ground and ridden except the fact that he is claustrophobic and can't cope with being shut in anywhere (stable/lorry etc)

If I ever bought another I would test it in enclosed spaces first because it's a nightmare!

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I don't really mind!

The only thing that would put me off would be a horse that has a history of rearing over, and 'proper' bolting, all the rest I can work with/ re school.

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
Humm nothing that has learned a fool proof way of putting people on the floor - no bolting, rearing, bucking but sharp and hot is OK (indeed I like that to a degree)
Have seen too many cribbers have complications but weaving I have lived with happily enough, sarcoids I have had horses with these and had no issues but that's just luck I guess. No apparent lameness though as I like to ride plenty! No back issues - tends to make them buck! Nothing seriously aggressive to handle though a bit of grumpiness is sortable. Must be good in traffic as livery by main road - must accept being mounted from the floor (thus noting over 16hh) must hack alone ....
fussy eh?

Lyle

Visit site
I don't mind having to work through issues which are borne from lack of education, but nothing that is an ingrained habit because the horse has a nasty streak!

I don't mind aloof horses, but can't stand ones that stand there calculating what their next nasty move will be. I worked with one once who just had the nastiest look on his face the whole time. He wasn't just your typical grump, he was genuinely nasty and incredibly calculating.

Will not own anything that kicks on purpose, I hate it and it's just way too dangerous.

Nothing with wonky legs, crappy feet etc.

I suppose most things can be worked through, so it depends to what extent the horse will take these nasty habits as to whether or not I'd tolerate.

Sleipnir

Visit site
I can work with catching, loading, traveling, and most training/behavioral issues, including bucking, but I wouldn't buy a know bolter, rearer, a horse with health issues like back, joints, sarcoids, and I also wouldn't buy a mare and a grey one.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Latest replies have given me a few more:

Couldn't have something that won't be stabled

don't have the time for something that needs working lots each day

don't think I'd want a mare but would consider the right one

Nightmare before Christmas

Visit site
Something that is a ticking time bomb if it hasn't been ridden by day three!
Separation anxiety .. I just CANNOT deal with horses who cant think for themselves, it makes me nervous around them!
The list is endless but then I'm a very very lucky boy and my horse is perfect :D

Day 3!! Mine has to be worked hard everyday!!!! And no feed

Pennythetank

Visit site
I will generally ride anything that doesn't try to kill me but am picky when it comes to finding a horse for myself.
- must be scopey and honest, I can handle no basic flatwork in place as I can (and enjoy to) work on that but I cannot work with something that can't climb over a pole.
- must not try to kill me, I can deal with excitement expressed through bucks/rears but if they know how to get me off I'm not interested.
- needs to travel well, bad loader is ok.
- I won't touch something that hasn't good basic conformation. If I wanted to sell on, it is going to be easier if the animal isn't fugly.
- I hate coloureds and greys. I like my horses clean if I leave my yard but am not interested in spending my life scrubbing dirty hocks!
- must hack/work alone.
- I cannot deal with separation anxiety. I had to work around it with a horse before-never again!
- no feathers - never again! If it's a cob/heavy it would be hogged, clipped and pulled before it sets foot on my yard.
I'm not fussy at all am I??? 😃

Doormouse

Visit site
Behaviour - anything that intends to drop me. High spirits etc all fine but not a horse that continues the bad behaviour until I'm on the floor. Before I had my daughter I had plenty of horses that were sharp and difficult on the ground but could not afford to have one like that now, so that too is an absolute no.

Health - poor conformation. Why start with potential problems? Have had a sweet itch sufferer and hated it, felt so desperately sorry for the pony that he had to live looking like a chargers horse and on such a strict regime so would prefer never to have that again. Also find good doers far harder work than the skinny minis.

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
Proper bolting - ie when the horse bolts blindly, ignoring everything in its path - would also be a non-starter.

Not disagreeingw ith you, just that I was always lead to believe that bolting was the result of the horse trying to 'escape' pain...so theoretically this could be adressed.

Sarcoids a big non-no (my friend has one with them around the eyes which = surgical removal every couple of years). Kissing spines another no-no...after the heartbreak of Peggy-Sue :( admittedly we didn't find out till a few months later, but I couldn't go through that again...breathtaking when it was alright (see avatar)but devastating on a bad day.

I don't mind difficult/tricky/ diamonds in the rough but they have to have some natural talent/ability etc. especially to jump.

I've alwyas said and will maintain that I would never have anything with dodgy conformation, but must admit to "choosing" my sister's cob which is a very peculiar shape allround (Think short neck, huge withers and shoulder, considerly smaller backend, sort of table top back and interesting hind legs) but she is a darling and my sister only wants o hunt and hack, with a bit of PC on the side..no health complaints yet and sister and pony ar happy as larry.

Last edited:

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Impolite horses who batter and/or walk through you. Horses that kick or bite, that don't respond to aids when asked. I've learnt through our past and present horses that I can cope with mini rears, not bucking, can cope with fidgeters, sweet itch, don't want another fence walker, and ideally like a horse that doesn't mind about being left alone, or travelling alone or in company. All the normal ones I suppose!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Over the years we have dealt with just about every behaviour problem you can think of but I'm too old now and have lost my bounce-ability, so refuse to buy anything less than straight-forward to ride. Anything less than excellent in traffic is a complete deal-breaker.

As for health issues, having lost 3 horses far too young, 2 of them from conditions which they must have had when they were bought but that no-one knew about, I would never buy anything with a known issue. And no more greys.

wyrdsister

Visit site
Nothing that broncs, absolutely nothing with serious mounting issues (had two, never again!). Can live with excitement rearing and bucks. Wouldn't touch a true bolter or anything dangerously bad in traffic.

Health wise: nothing with rotten feet! I have an EMS and navicular mare, love her to bits but the management is soul crushing. Wouldn't be keen on another KS horse either and having experienced my partner's horse dying from melonoma-related complications, I'd avoid greys as well!

Boulty

Visit site
Being a known, repeated bolter would be a no. (Current horse has bolted once with me when he spooked at a cow... not an experience I ever wish to repeat) As would be a horse who when having a tantrum / panicking actively tries to put me on the floor. (I wouldn't begrudge the odd buck or rear or episodes of dramatic spooking... although not having to deal with these would be wonderful)

I also wouldn't knowingly take on a horse with arthritis that I wished to use for ridden work as my experiences with this disease were not positive.

I would probably be put off by a horse who is a bad traveller (depends what they do if I'm honest) but being iffy about loading wouldn't necessarily put me off.

Would need horse to be sensible in traffic as I hack on roads a lot, not bothered if not totally bombproof as long as is still controllable when scared.

Wouldn't knowingly take on a horse that's bad to clip if I could avoid it (current one is a nightmare and I'm not convinced he will ever be 100% as think a lot of it is that he's sensitive / ticklish and it's a pain in the bum if I'm honest)

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
Nothing that is aggressive when turned out. I'll consider a rearer but it would have to tick every other box imaginable, same with a bolter.

puli

Visit site
For me the horse has to be good at loading that is a must for me.
They have to be good to hack alone they cannot nap
I own a bolter and it is scary so I would never get on a horse that has bolted before
I would never buy a horse that has reared

scotlass

Visit site
Rearers (never again), true bolters, lack of respect for fencing (through it / over it), separation anxiety, won't hack out alone, anything not totally bombproof in any traffic. No EMS or sarcoids

MargotC

Visit site
Dealbreakers for me were I looking to buy a horse again:

- Known medical conditions (would not willingly purchase an existing/potential future problem when there are other, healthy horses out there to spend the same money on).

- Problems with feet or hooves beyond VERY minor temporary ones (again, there are sound horses out there to start off with).

- Separation anxiety. So many considerations have to be made in everyday ordinary handling even, it affects other horses and owners on yard, and if anything unforeseen happens it means extra stress for all involved. Would not go there again.

- Inability to hack alone. Being able to handle and ride a horse when needed without being tied to others on yard is a must.

- Dangerous behaviour ie. kicking during handling, extreme barging, rearing, bolting. Any horse who spends more time on three feet or less, than it does on four feet...

- Overly energetic behaviour whilst ridden or inability to stay still when asked to. As a rider I prefer the laidback ones and would rather have one that needed a nudge now and then to move (not napping, that is) than one who feels like a ticking bomb under you. I'm not as adventurous and brave as I was in my youth!

I don't mind a bit of spooky behaviour as long as the reactions aren't too extreme. It can be worked on. I also don't mind mild stable vices if the horse is 100% in other ways.

I have no doubt forgotten some things but based on personal experience the above are definitely important points to me.

Bernster

Visit site
Interesting how many things are a no no for some but not for others. Kind of encouraging really. Worrying though how many say no greys, having just bought one, I've known lots of greys and none have had sarcoids. Only horse I did know was a bay. And having had both I wouldn't discount on the grounds of gender. Odd how it still seems to be ok to be sexist or colour based where horses are concerned. Sorry that sounds more serious than I intended. It's late!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
must be able to hack and good in traffic, no "bolters" be that running blindly or just taking off, I won't have anything that bucks or rears either ! I can cope with the occasional high spirited hop or mini-rear but anything else I wouldn't touch. Having said that I'd rather have something that dances around than a planter.. I have schooled a few horses to go through water and nothing is worse than having one that plants and just won't budge! at least if they dance around you can fairly quickly get that movement closer to the water. On the subject of stopping/ planting, anything that habitually refuses is a big no. I have one that is not reliable when jumping and only jumps the fences she likes, so I can't take her to any new venue as she needs to have a good look at new jumps first. Has to be good to load and travel and good to clip and be handled on the ground. I also won't have anything that has vices or any kind or any medical problems. To be honest I don't tolerate much bad stuff in a horse as there are too many nice ones out there to put up with a bad one !

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Poor feet - I've had to many pulled shoes/abcsesses despite trying everything to choose something where genetics are against the feet again.
Attitude - I ride as a hobby, I want my horse to be pleasant to be around. Something that tries to attack or purposely dump you isn't.
Napping - While I've "cured" my current horse and we can hack now, I think napping goes back to an attitiude and I want something that willingly works without you having to to convince it every time.
Nerves - Similarly, a truely nervous horse is never fully cured and I don't want to have to put up with it forever.

acorn92x

Visit site
I enjoy sharp, spirited, forward going rides and am happy to sit to bucks and leaps of excitement or the occasional lift of feet off of the ground and would possibly consider a bucker if it was perfect aside from that but I wouldn't touch a rearer. A friend of mine had a horse go over backwards onto her and ended up with a broken ribcage and vertebrae. True blind bolting would put me off but I'd rather deal with that than something which reared. Napping would also be another no-go, I'd rather be having to calm something down than get it moving. It would also have to hack alone as I prefer to be by myself on hacks than go with others. 100% in traffic would also be a must, I think I could work with all other things!

I'd consider something which cribbed, weaved, could bite or might occasionally kick if you walk to close to it but I would absolutely never, ever, ever consider something which was a pain to catch or which was bad tempered in the stable (EG: Tried to pin you against a wall or something awful like that) or which was a door kicker or floor scraper. They are 3 things which I cannot stand under any cirumstance!

Health wise I wouln't touch anything which had sarcoids or had bad leg and/or hoof conformation. My old pony had EMS/Laminitis so would consider that as I have a good understanding on how to manage it, would also consider something with SI as again, have had experience with that and if managed carefully, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Oh, and no coloureds! Nothing against them but they aren't really my cup of tea! love blacks, greys or anything in a block colour with white markings :)

Last edited:

Nutsaboutnags

Visit site
For me I wouldn't have a stallion as I'm just not experienced enough but either mares or geldings are fine....
Always said no vices at all, nothing below 16'2 (I'm 5'9 and long legged!) no buckers, biters or kickers and def no health issues at all......
Anyway I have a 16h mare, who grew a sarcoid within weeks of purchase and every now and again broncs like nothing you've ever seen..... We have isolated the prob to hock pain and this is now in hand but guess what - she still handstands through excitement!! I haven t got back on her yet but am working her on long lines and she is .... Very...... Uummm, gymnastic!!
I've learned that whatever your shopping list has on it, the situation will change and there are no absolutes!
My mare is a stunner, a total softie to handle and floats on air when she moves so I can put up with all the above!

9tails

Visit site
Interesting how many things are a no no for some but not for others. Kind of encouraging really. Worrying though how many say no greys, having just bought one, I've known lots of greys and none have had sarcoids. Only horse I did know was a bay. And having had both I wouldn't discount on the grounds of gender. Odd how it still seems to be ok to be sexist or colour based where horses are concerned. Sorry that sounds more serious than I intended. It's late!

I said no greys. I know two grey horses well and look after them for their owners when they're away. The first one loves to be filthy and his owner is forever scrubbing him clean, I'm too lazy for that and can get away with less than pristine with my brown one. The other is a mare and extremely clean preferring to roll on piles of hay rather than dirty ground. Both have a plethora of melanomas around their docks.