what bit out jumping for VERY strong horse?

lisa_lou

Visit site
Alot of people would say improve the schooling and the fastness out jumping will improve but my horse schools nicely in a snaffle, I need a bubble bit for showjumping as she gets very excited and is very bold into her fences, this just about gives me control and gets a bouncy slower canter into the fences but out on xc course in a 3 ring gag bottom hole she just tanks and i have no control or breaks what so ever!She will not trot till a few strides out just bounces on the spot and sideways plunging to go faster then she tears into the fence flies it and is hard to pull up the other side. Went xc schooling for a couple of hrs at the weekend over 2ft6 2ft9 and my hands were nearly bleeding at the end. She is only 7yrs but way too bold and fast for her own good. I would like suggestions on what bit to try so i have control into the fences and so she listens to me instead of just trying to tank into them. She has so much potential to be a great eventer but just needs to learn to calm down and listen to me. The gag doesnt work, tried a roller with no change also. PLEASE HELP!!

DaisyDoll

Visit site
I jump my pony in a cheltenham gag, it worked when dutch gag with roundings wouldn't, made a huge difference. :)

Cadfael&Coffee

Visit site
Grids and grids at home spring to mind!!

That and- wait for it (I'm at it again lol)-

I'm a MASSIVE fan of the Kineton, but I wouldn't use it with a gag- ive only ever needed it with a dr Bristol snaffle max and it's never failed to give me brakes

Kokopelli

Visit site
Kineton is a fabulous peace of tack and it's a shame it went out of fashion.

What does your horse do head up/ down?

Sometimes I don't think you'll ever get all the speed out if that's the way they go. It sounds strange as well but putting your leg on helps as it helps collect the canter.

ETA: also get yourself a good pair of gloves. :)

Last edited:

charlimouse

Visit site
My horse (the grey in my sig) was deemed dangerous XC. I had no control whatsoever, and I was about to retire him from eventing. Then I just happend to come across this on the internet

http://www.thehorsebitshop.co.uk/product.php?xProd=219

The change was instant. Now all plans of retiring him have flown out the window, and we are enjoying ourselves. So much so he is entered for his first BE Intermediate in a few weeks!!!!!!!!

lisa_lou

Visit site
to kokopelli, i try and ride her calmly in walk turning towards it but she keeps plunging etc cantering on the spot for me to let her go then she just charges putting her head high if i try and pull back, But the 3 ring gag didnt help slow her down, it just made her tuck her head into her chest but no help with slowing down or brakes. I dont like the idea of stronger bits as i would like her to be snaffle mouth at all times but she definately needs teaching a lesson to listen.
Never heard of a kinerton?? What is this?

Cadfael&Coffee

Visit site
It's a traditional type nose band, it works by putting pressure on the nose.

It can be severe if heavy handed/ fitted incorrectly, but with light hands it's the only piece of tack I'll swear by

And you can keep your snaffle!!!!

I don't like gags or strong bits- the Kineton means I don't need them :) even on my super fit tank of a sports horse when he loses his brain lol!!! :D:D:D

Kokopelli

Visit site
to kokopelli, i try and ride her calmly in walk turning towards it but she keeps plunging etc cantering on the spot for me to let her go then she just charges putting her head high if i try and pull back, But the 3 ring gag didnt help slow her down, it just made her tuck her head into her chest but no help with slowing down or brakes. I dont like the idea of stronger bits as i would like her to be snaffle mouth at all times but she definately needs teaching a lesson to listen.
Never heard of a kinerton?? What is this?

I assume she isn't in a pain at all? Or perhaps frightened?

If I was you I'd set a course of jumps up in the school and school around them. Don't even think about jumping them. Do this for a few sessions then when she is relaxed sneakily pop one then continue schooling around the fences.

The kineton is a noseband that hooks around the bit and when you put pressure on the reins it also put pressure on the nose. Works brill for my boy xcing as I struggle with the 2 reins xc.

Cadfael&Coffee

Visit site
And also- grids- definately grid work at home- teach her to realise she can't throw herself over fences all the time in case she comes unstuck- you need to make her think going into a fence, not just throw herself over and hope for the best :D

lisa_lou

Visit site
many thanks everyone, i do do lots of gridwork at home but she just instantly changes to insane on a xc course. charlimouse youve been a big help, i will definately have a trial on a pee wee bit, it sounds just what i need!! Thanks everyone

MinxGTi

Visit site
My horse is just the same, I tried the peewee bit, but it didn't work for us :(
No breaks and to add to it, no steering either!!
I've now got him in a Tom Thumb which he adores, he really softhens in his mouth and relaxes his jaw... in the gag he would just grab a hold of the bit and buggar off, so I would have to circle until he was tired... No good on a xc course!!

berry

Visit site
My mare is exactly the same as yours and no amount of grid work slows her down. I borrowed a friends myler combination with raw hid noseband and have never looked back I can actually ho into a fence in a controlled ( but bouncy) canter.

ridersince2002

Visit site
A mare i ride was an absolute pain in the bum when jumping at home(at shows she backs off a bit, but is a COW in the warm up!) As soon as she saw a fence she would tank off and jump it about twice the size necessary- and shes 16 so not green at all! Somebody tried to tell me it was fear and she was anxious of jumping, but i can honestly say she loves jumping. She was in a snaffle and i had literally no controll so we tried a wilkie snaffle, then one with lots of copper and sweet iron bits and peices on it for her to play with, then in a jointed kimblewick, french link gag, now shes in a gag with a waterford mouthpeice for jumping! At first it gave me so much control, she sofened immediately, the idea was to school her in it and come back to a snaffle, but she goes so well in it that weve kept it, but it seems the longer we keep it, the stonger shes getting in it so a change in due! Idealy i would love to see her in a happy mouth snaffle, but realisticly it would be nice to jsut have something that we dont get funny looks for!

Kat

Visit site
If she puts her head up to evade you then you don't want a gag, they tend to lift the head. Try a kimblewick, or pelham of somesort.

A Dr bristol is a good suggestion too, worth a try.