What bits do you use and why?

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Don't use bits. I ride bitless. I wouldnt ride if I had to rely on a lump of metal in his very delicate mouth.

Can of worms? :D

I guess I'll join the club of people who shouldn't ride. Cobby is in a hanging cheek Neue Schule at the min. We need to upgrade to something a little stronger, but the amount of different bits out there is mindboggling :confused:

sandy3924

Visit site
Sandy what about people who compete? Then you have to wear a bit! I could never ride my big horse bit less I would die!

Visit http://www.bitlessbridle.co.uk/

And as for competing why do it, if to achieve your goals, you have to use a bit that inflicts pain on the gums, tongue and roof of the mouth. The mouth is so sensitive yet research has shown that at least 5kgs of pressure is commonly used on each rein when only 250 grams is actually necessary. Bitless all the way for me.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
However my big horse is jumped in a cross noseband a and a Dutch gag with the rein on the bottom :( hate it but he is soo strong so If anyone has a better suggestion please let me know!

I think if it's working for you then don't worry you need to be safe and precise when jumping. We changed Topaz out of this combination as although super light and a pleasure to ride in it, it started causing her to back off as I wasn't able to completely give the contact enough which resulted in this:
002_zps19dc021b-1_zps03850d21.jpg

As you can see the bit is still rotated even though I'm trying to give over the fence, she can put funny strides in so I struggle to always let go if she takes a stride I'm not seeing/not there :rolleyes::D. This I think, started to eat away at her confidence:(, so we schooled her a lot at home, ie lots and lots of transitions, if she got strong in canter then back to trot, halting before/after a fence from a certain number of strides etc. Now I'm taking her out in the snaffle and fingers crossed her confidence is improving.

x

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Gag for old mare......straight bar Pelham if she really decides not to have brakes

Loose ring sweet iron snaffle with a copper middle bit that is slightly tilted for the appy and the race horse.

Pongwiffy

Visit site
Surely if that specific design of bitless bridle is the ONLY one that will provide PAIN-FREE & comprehensive communication as is claimed on that website, riding without a bit isn't always a kind option either .. :confused:

As with any tool or aid - it is how you use it that counts. Most aids produce some form of discomfort in order to evoke a response. Pressure is still pressure whether it is inflicted on the nose, the tongue, the curb groove the bars or the poll and the aim of every rider should be to get the required results with the least amount of pressure possible?

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Have a look at the site. Learn about the inside of the horses mouth and then make a comment.

I've got a Dr Cook, thank you. I'm aware of how they work. Fact of the matter is if you're riding with the use of a bridle, be that bitted or bitless, you're applying pressure when you use the reins. The mouth is sensitive, so is the face. My horse was unhappy bitless, and hauling on his head, IMO, is worse than squeezing on a bit.

It's a case of each to their own. If your horse is happy bitless, that's fine. Understand that not all horses work the same, and the use of a bit doesn't mean that people shouldn't be riding ;)

Johnny999

Visit site
Yes. Can of worms without a doubt :D.

But all horses are idividual and so are their owners.
Bits and bitless all have their place.

I tend to bit for the situation as much as anything else.

Does get very fired at shows with occasional silly moments, so normally a waterford gag.
At home it used to be a dutch gag, but moving down a step to hanging snaffle or loose ring snaffle for schooling.
That said I'll also use a hackamore or a head collar and reins and jump on bareback for 15mins of exercise in the school if not actually schooling.
Perhaps one day our communcation and understanding will be good enough to go xc in a hackamore or loose ring.

And yes the rein weight info is really interesting. Have been playing past few weeks with some spring balances. When working really correctly, not only does it feel amazing, but 100-120 grams is plenty.

flump

Visit site
That's what I thought shadow flame, no bit does not equal no pressure! It's just moving the pressure elsewhere!

The micklem bridle I has can only really be used with a snaffle as where the noseband lies but the bitless side to it can be used from mild to severe.. Will use a bit thanks!

Bertolie

Visit site
I dont ride my horse bitless because I dont agree with using a piece of metal in his mouth, I ride bitless because my horse has such a small mouth that anything in his mouth causes him discomfort. When I first got him he was ridden in a 3-ring gag and I would have been happy to carry on using this had it suited him. I tried an awful lot of different bits before my vet confirmed that his mouth was exceptionally small and he was therefore uncomfortable.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
CS has been in a neue schule team up for like, forever....but have just swapped to a cotswold sport tongue saver snaffle (to go with his neue schule mors l'hotte curb) and i really really like this, just gives me a tiny but more half halting power now he is starting the GP work, without being so sharp he drops the contact :)