What bits do you use - just being nosey!

Gorgeous George

Visit site
Thought I would post as NL is a bit empty at the moment! I am just curious as to what bits people use and whether you use the same bit for everything or different bits for different things.

I'll kick things off:
Flatwork, schooling, dressage comps: myler mullen mouth hanging cheek.

Hacking and jumping: used to use a dutch gag, experimenting at the moment with a kimblewick and mullen mouth eggbutt (obviously not at the same time
grin.gif
grin.gif
)

smile.gif

Ottinmeg

www.equestrianimage.com
just trying a hanging cheek waterford as since her teeth have been fixed she is majorly leaning on the myler.If that works then she will have that for every day stuff and for stressage she will have a hanging cheek french link. ( i think ) when i can afford a hackamore she will have that for everything except dressage of course!

only_me

Visit site
mine has a french link for everything.

I am trying though to find a bit that really suits him as he's not 100% in it, am currently experimenting with straight bar happy mouth
smile.gif

LadyRascasse

Visit site
my mare has hanging cheek french link for everything though i seriously considering a pelham for jumping. and my boy (when actually not skiving off with some problem of another) is in a pelham for everything except flat schooling which he has a straightbar eggbutt snaffle

D

Donkeymad

5 x Liverpool Driving Bit
1 x bitless.
Can't remember what the cob has when ridden ( ridden is a rarety)

Cobbysmum

Visit site
Myler comfort for the tb, copper roller for the cob and french link hanging cheek for the ponies. Cobby has to have something in his mouth to play with or you cannot get him to pay attention.

Cash

Visit site
Old boy:
Eggbutt french link for flatwork, and usually hacking and jumping at home
Dutch gag for 'silly days'
smirk.gif
hacking in company, showjumping. Did for XC once- never again
crazy.gif

Pelham for XC -and sponsored rides
smirk.gif

New boy: loose ring french link snaffle for everything- bliss
grin.gif

Flint12

Visit site
Loose ring with a lozenge. . . for everything idealy but if he is feeling full of himself he goes in a dutch gag on second ring down

f_s_

Visit site
NS french link lozenge, French link loose ring, KK spenger training snaffle, Fulmer snaffle, Dutch gag, hanging cheek snaffle, Happy mouth Gag. Copper roller D ring snaffle.

FinkleyGladiator

Visit site
Full cheek french link snaffle for everything if eventing (cause im lazy and then I can take 1 bridle with 1 bit!)
Dr- Verdinbend (sp.?)
Hunting-Pelham
smile.gif

fornema

Visit site
Fern 13.2hh pony- double rein pelham for XC, SJ etc up to 3'6'' and dutch gag for XC as so strong

Millie 15.2hh TB- Frenchlink snaffle all the time

Nema 15.2hh TBx Conni- Pelham with roundings or a hanging cheek snaffle at all times

Ezme

Visit site
Awww I wanted to be different but little donkey beat me to it!

Single driven= All horses, straight bar liverpool (really goes to show that bitting doesn't have to be that compliacted if you have an adjustable bit!)

Pairs driven= All straight bar buxtons (similar to liverpools but have a fancy S bend and an eggbutt style mouth attachment as liverpools shouldn't be used on pairs because they squish faces)

Ridden we have a eggbut and a fulmer with a peanut and they all go in what ever is about! Admittedly riding for them is generally a stress releaving activity and we're not asking them to really work. Only real exception is magnus who isn't fond of bits in general (has worked with his tounge over the bit for the whole of his life) so if I ride him it's generally in a headcoller!