What breed/s in this dog??

MasterBenedict

Visit site
So we were having a healthy debate today about the breed or cross this dog possibly is. It is approx 8 months old. I would be really interested to hear the wise opinions of you lovely forum members :) apologies for the terrible photography!

a8de33c95218baea2777255958838cd8_zpsa46gcqa1.jpg

62f41027d3ad2104556c592ba4654455_zpsreulvel2.jpg

bbffb42dd8a809dc4614bf1cf19b6870_zpsjpvmsnqd.jpg

18dd1a85686119fe3ab799eb38eeca45_zpsq9eizory.jpg

ef4398ca051b2744cfbc9458fd1a6bb9_zpsa4dl0yny.jpg

{97702}

Visit site
Oh most definitely, but what is the cross??

With no offence to the dog concerned, who is a real sweetie looking at the pics, but quite honestly it could be anything? I don't think it is a Shar Pei cross, the wrinkles are a dominant gene or they wouldn't be passed on in the breed and they are not prevalent here....

Possibly overthinking things here :p

Sandstone1

Visit site
He does have wrinkles though, look at his head. Also I know a shar pei cross who does not have wrinkles at all.
Anyway does the Op know what cross he is? Otherwise we could all be wrong and we will never know the answer anyway!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Honestly, he looks like a bog standard "staffy" ie one bred by idiots from parents who are staffy types but probably not purebred. Just be grateful he looks like a staffy not a pitbull or you'd have to really worry :)

Zero00000

Visit site
Honestly, he looks like a bog standard "staffy" ie one bred by idiots from parents who are staffy types but probably not purebred. Just be grateful he looks like a staffy not a pitbull or you'd have to really worry :)

This is what I thought!
He's not far different to mine, and they were from a friend, dad was a good staff type but the mum was just a bog standard byb type

MurphysMinder

Visit site

That is what I thought. Just because a dog doesn't totally conform to the breed standard doesn't mean it is a cross.

chillipup

Visit site
Lévrier;13422948 said:
For me, that is not an EBT body shape or muzzle type? I am definitely over thinking things now, sorry....

**slinks away from thread quietly**.... :) :)

You're right Lev, but there's just something about the small piggy eyes and a rather short tail that reminds me of an EBT. But hey, what would I know...looks a cutie whatever the little boy is.

SpringArising

Visit site
It's not just a bad example of a Staffy. It has way too much bone. He's definitely been crossed with something heavier but God knows what.

He's very cute either way!

lula

Visit site

My thought too. Just a lovely little staff. what makes you think he's crossed with anything OP? a few wrinkles mean little at that age. That's not to say he's definitely got no other breeds in there, but as some of the other posters have mentioned, it really is hard to tell what as there are no specific traits. It really is a guessing game.

Plus, Shar Peis are expensive pedigree breeds.. If you had one would you really let it wander around entire to service any free roaming staffs as surely no one would deliberately breed such a cross?

Last edited:

twiggy2

Visit site
Plus, Shar Peis are expensive pedigree breeds.. If you had one would you really let it wander around entire to service any free roaming staffs as surely no one would deliberately breed such a cross?

We have them on the books at work, they are given a silly name, we also have shar pei cross beagle and lab!

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I think it's just a staffie too.

Re why would someone let a shar pei service a staffie (or whatever)? Because there is a very good chance that the breeder of the dog maybe put breeding endorsments on the pedigree so that one could not breed and register litters. However what's to stopping the owner from then breeding cross breeds anyway?

Sandstone1

Visit site
Shar peis are breed to staffies by some less than responsible breeders to sell as status dogs.
Not saying he is a shar pie x just that it's possible. Anyway you will prob never know so I'd just think of him as,a staffiex

Teaselmeg

Visit site
I think he is Staffie x Staffie/Shar Pei. Just enough difference in his head to warrant something else being in there. People will cross anything with anything to produce a dog with a silly 'breed' name or as a status dog. Someone told me yesterday that her dog was attacked by a staffie x husky - just why would you think that was a good idea !

Cahill

Visit site
prob more dogs are bred without any thought to line/registering/paperwork. just a quick few quid in the pocket :(
also there seems a fashion for bull-lurchers and this could be one?

{97702}

Visit site
I would say far too much bull to be a bull lurcher Cahill? I don't understand that particular fashion at all (although I hear that if you are a poacher they are good after deer?)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
If you 'cut off his head' with your hand, he doesn't have that much bone...just a big noggin.

I actually think he looks mahoosive/much older than nine months.

Clodagh

Visit site
My mum had a staffie lurcher thing, apparently you get a few that are good for coursing badgers, but a lot of wastage that are too staffie like or too long dog like, and they get dumped (or disposed of, anyway). She got hers from a rescue, looked just like a staff but a smidge too leggy.