What Breed/Sire would you recommend

DosyMare

Visit site
So we have a lovely Nimmerdor Warmblood mare and debating covering her again next year.
Last foal is a Ustinov, and for the last 10years we have used Warmblood Sire's and made some high quality horses.

I however bought a Warmblood x Irish Cob foal last year as wanted more bone and laid back attitude. Which he is.

So I said how I really liked the look of Cleveland Bays and that's what I want to look at next.

So what breeds do you recommend and Sire's - would you stick with Warmbloods or cross with a more laid back type for a easier life.

Herts05

Visit site
Why not look at a Lusitano? I used a 17.2 luso (Novilheiro and Orphee lines) on my Selle Francais mare and now have a stunning 2 1/2 year old youngster.
He's got great bone and is likely to make around 17 hands I think. Not your normal cross I know but I couldn't be happier and he loves work and has a great temperament.

bobajob

Visit site
Why not look at a Lusitano? I used a 17.2 luso (Novilheiro and Orphee lines) on my Selle Francais mare and now have a stunning 2 1/2 year old youngster.
He's got great bone and is likely to make around 17 hands I think. Not your normal cross I know but I couldn't be happier and he loves work and has a great temperament.

Or an Andalusian, great tempers also.

Lgd

Visit site
Cleveland bays can be quite stubborn in temperament - not sure it is something I would cross on to WB lines.

Pity my little mare's sire is no longer available - he is Russian Orlov and they have a temperament to die for. T is so laid back I just climbed on her after she had 7 months off and rode her with the foal flying about at foot. Never flickered. The foal is by a WB and is as laid back as Mum. Can't find any standing in the UK with a quick search but might be worth a hunt. They are good multi-purpose horses but have a huge pop in them. (I did dressage with mine :D although she has a huge jump)

Could look at one of the bigger traditional cobs, there are some really good movers around now. Plenty graded with CHAPS.

Hollycatt

Visit site
You could use a warmblood sire known to pass on a very trainable, quiet temperament :) ID are gorgeous too. If you already have nice foals from her and its to keep, it might be interesting to use something more unusual as long as they complement each other.

CBFan

Visit site
Cleveland bays can be quite stubborn in temperament - not sure it is something I would cross on to WB lines.

QUOTE]

Cleveland Bays are increadibly intelligent and big thinkers - much like the ID's and can be miss-understood as being stubborn.

They are increadibly genuine, lovely animals with the greatest temperaments. There are however some phyiscally good ones and very very bad ones (as in most breed circles) so be careful where you go. If you would like to pm me I can tell you a few to avoid and also point you in the direction of some more knowledgeable people :)

The CB makes a wonderful cross with arabs, TBs and warmbloods (being a warmblood itself) - in fact a lot of warmbloods have CB blood in them ;)

Polotash

Visit site
I wouldn't cross with ID, but that's me not liking them, I find them dense!! (I know, I know, lots of people love them, don't shoot me down!)

Some PRE crosses I've seen haven't worked that well (conformation wise), just make sure you do your research and see if you can see some other out-crossed offspring.

If you want a slightly older stamp of WB with fantastic temperament look at Catherston Springsteen... or Demonstrator.

Asha

Visit site
I wouldn't cross with ID, but that's me not liking them, I find them dense!! (I know, I know, lots of people love them, don't shoot me down!)

Some PRE crosses I've seen haven't worked that well (conformation wise), just make sure you do your research and see if you can see some other out-crossed offspring.

If you want a slightly older stamp of WB with fantastic temperament look at Catherston Springsteen... or Demonstrator.

Harry did you hear that, Polotash called us thick !!:eek:
picture.php

Polotash

Visit site
Harry did you hear that, Polotash called us thick !!:eek:
picture.php

Teehee, sorry, I know there are good ones, but all the ones I meet (either to school or or as liveries) are a wee bit ignorant... e.g. you open gate to get them out and they whack their head down to eat instead of politely turning so you can close the gate every single day, even when you've taught them what to do umpteen times!!!

Alexart

Visit site
What's her conformation like - any pics? I've seen some nice andi crosses but again as others have said you need to choose wisely as they can be weak in the backend and won't give you more bone, how about a friesian cross? - the WB x sometimes come out beautifully if done with the right mix, warmbloods are decended from them so would give you a bit more bone and possibly more laid back. Or a nice cob type or heavyweight hunter type they can cross well too.

Bigbenji

Visit site
What about one of the larger Welsh section D's?

I know of one who, although young, will mature at least 16h with great paces to add to a warmbloods, temperment to die for and very smart :D

Asha

Visit site
Asha you have been dealing with the wrong Irish draughts! Not every horse in a certain breed is the same please don't tar all ID's with the same brush because you have had a bad experience with a few.

whoa there !! i havent said a bad word against ID's i love em. Hence the photo of my 2 fabulous IDxWB babies. Both off my ID mare. Please re read my post !!!!

elijahasgal

Visit site
I love (and hate at times) my very clever and naughty, but loving, fantastic ID x!!

However, it would depend if you are wanting to keep or sell the baby!

DosyMare

Visit site
I've had a Irish Sports horse before and although he was the best horse I've had he was also the biggest plank when it came to general hacking/xc/hunting. But so talented with his dressage and careful jump.

I'm not keen on the Spanish types in general.
Love the pure Fresian's but not keen on the part breds.

So the mare is 16.2hh, I can't fault her (broodmare due to tendons). This years foal is little and shy.

863c2f59e60b506545d1147359bbb551.jpg

2012 WB foal
a3efc7b4d7af82b99eab2ae71cfe0a45.jpg

Now I have this WB x Irish Cob yearling that I think his just great but not going to be as talented as the other two. But he is no way as highly strung and therefore not a problem and just a pleasure. He is however a big boy. But I can't find any nice Irish Cob stallions. His Sire is deceased unfortunately.
bdc9a36df1ec4c895c3fe5586ec447d8.jpg

I do really like the Cleveland Bays but don't know the good Sire's. As with the Irish Cobs. Or do just play it save again with a Warmblood.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I wouldn't cross with ID, but that's me not liking them, I find them dense!!

You must be kidding. ID's are highly intelligent, even tempered and useful horses and that is why they have been so successful for several hundred years in all sorts of jobs ranging from the army to olympic atheletes, police horses, hunters and family friends.

Ireland's heritage is built on the back of RID's and I do hope both Irish and English breeders of RID's will refute the suggestion the breed is dense.

ID's think for themselves and help the rider out, which is more than can be said for most warmbloods. I have had ID's for a very long time and none of them have been dense.

My Avanti Amorous Archie yearling filly certainly does not need telling anything twice, bright, intelligent and good looking.

Many of todays RID stallions are competing alongside their stud careers which is testament to their temperament, intelligence and honesty.

millitiger

Visit site
Does the mare pass on her front leg conformation to her foals?

I would be looking for a sire with very strong and well made limbs, just going from your photo.

Are you looking to breed to keep or sell? If to sell, I would stick with warmblood but go for a trainable line.

If you want to keep and want something heavier, I would look at IDs as they are commonly used on lighter mares as a good cross and there are quite a few around so you should have a good choice of potential stallions.

Or maybe a IDxTB like Primitive Star who throws really lovely quality progeny but it depends how heavy you want to go?

no_no_nanette

Visit site
I wouldn't cross with ID, but that's me not liking them, I find them dense!!

You must be kidding. ID's are highly intelligent, even tempered and useful horses and that is why they have been so successful for several hundred years in all sorts of jobs ranging from the army to olympic atheletes, police horses, hunters and family friends.

Ireland's heritage is built on the back of RID's and I do hope both Irish and English breeders of RID's will refute the suggestion the breed is dense.

ID's think for themselves and help the rider out, which is more than can be said for most warmbloods. I have had ID's for a very long time and none of them have been dense.

My Avanti Amorous Archie yearling filly certainly does not need telling anything twice, bright, intelligent and good looking.

Many of todays RID stallions are competing alongside their stud careers which is testament to their temperament, intelligence and honesty.

Here's another ID fan who also bred an Archie foal from their mare this year, and I have to say that she is the sweetest and easiest foal that I've had so far out of my ISH mare. She has none of the slightly dotty spookiness of some WBs which often does seem completely without cause - but neither is she in any way stupid. Very grounded and very much her own person. I'm very clear which I prefer!!

DosyMare

Visit site
Does the mare pass on her front leg conformation to her foals?

I would be looking for a sire with very strong and well made limbs, just going from your photo.

Are you looking to breed to keep or sell? If to sell, I would stick with warmblood but go for a trainable line.

If you want to keep and want something heavier, I would look at IDs as they are commonly used on lighter mares as a good cross and there are quite a few around so you should have a good choice of potential stallions.

Or maybe a IDxTB like Primitive Star who throws really lovely quality progeny but it depends how heavy you want to go?

It would be to keep, just do some one day events and hunting.

What ID stallions would you recommend looking into?

Wisnette

Visit site
What about a heavier weight TB?? I know what you mean about warmblood temperaments - I have KWPN's and they're not always the easiest... I do just for a nanosecond sometimes wish I had a yard full of cobs!

If you could find a nice laidback Thoroughbred preferably with good foreleg and good jump, you'll keep the quality, alot of the jumping ability and might just breed a fantastic eventer.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It would be to keep, just do some one day events and hunting.

What ID stallions would you recommend looking into?

Archie, without a doubt. He moves, jumps, hunts, has around 150 BD points and his temperament is superb. He is also owned by a delightful, highly experienced Mrs Jennings who leaves no stone unturned in providing the best possible service for the mare owner.

I was fortunate enough to be close enough to collect the semen for my mare (2 hours on the motorway) so I got to meet the boy in the flesh. His sire Crosstown Dancer is a prolific getter of show quality stock and Archie is a very correct handsome stallion. His looks aside, the temperament was so obvious, he was so chilled and polite, bearing in mind he had just been collected from. No stallion bridle, just his owner, who is rather tiny, handling him on a headcollar. I wanted to look underneath to check he was a stallion !

Cup of tea and a cuddle of the boy, the semen made a trip back up the motorway to the waiting vet. Excellent quality semen, properly packaged and 21 days on I had an in foal mare. Mrs Jennings has remained in touch and takes huge interest in Archie's stock.

Good luck with whatever stallion you choose, but give Archie a good look at, you will get size, quality and temperament from him.

DosyMare

Visit site
Archie, without a doubt. He moves, jumps, hunts, has around 150 BD points and his temperament is superb. He is also owned by a delightful, highly experienced Mrs Jennings who leaves no stone unturned in providing the best possible service for the mare owner.

I was fortunate enough to be close enough to collect the semen for my mare (2 hours on the motorway) so I got to meet the boy in the flesh. His sire Crosstown Dancer is a prolific getter of show quality stock and Archie is a very correct handsome stallion. His looks aside, the temperament was so obvious, he was so chilled and polite, bearing in mind he had just been collected from. No stallion bridle, just his owner, who is rather tiny, handling him on a headcollar. I wanted to look underneath to check he was a stallion !

Cup of tea and a cuddle of the boy, the semen made a trip back up the motorway to the waiting vet. Excellent quality semen, properly packaged and 21 days on I had an in foal mare. Mrs Jennings has remained in touch and takes huge interest in Archie's stock.

Good luck with whatever stallion you choose, but give Archie a good look at, you will get size, quality and temperament from him.

This Archie - http://www.avantistud.com/

AdorableAlice

Visit site
That's him. Pictures of filly foal by Archie out of an Irish cob mare. Lots of pictures of his stock out of TB and ISH etc mares on his webpages.

BillandAlice121.jpg

Alice017.jpg

gadetra

Visit site
If your looking for substance and to improve the front end, then I would reccomend Coevers Diamond Boy. Coevers was a prolific TB stallion of incredible quality and a very good progenitor. Diamond Lad needs no introduction! You can spot a Coevers Diamond Boy a mile off by the front, a real quality front end.
Here is a link:
http://www.coolgrangehousestud.com/coevers-diamond-boy-ish

If you look up Coevers Diamond Boy's on donedeal.ie you can see what I mean!

Good luck :)

DosyMare

Visit site
If your looking for substance and to improve the front end, then I would reccomend Coevers Diamond Boy. Coevers was a prolific TB stallion of incredible quality and a very good progenitor. Diamond Lad needs no introduction! You can spot a Coevers Diamond Boy a mile off by the front, a real quality front end.
Here is a link:
http://www.coolgrangehousestud.com/coevers-diamond-boy-ish

If you look up Coevers Diamond Boy's on donedeal.ie you can see what I mean!

Good luck :)

I can't find a photo of him.