What breeds of horse do you NOT like?

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I like this one....
Adam_Frans_van_der_Meulen_-_Louis_XIV_at_the_taking_of_Besanccedilon_1674_zpshi1idxhj.jpg

Why is my old headmistress riding that horse? Just needs the nuns habit.

Visit site
Horse aside - how long is that guys lower leg?!?!

...............Horse is probably about 14.2h, the standard height for the late 17c.

Yes but the lower leg seems to be abnormally long in comparison to the rest of his body. I know he has heeled and topped boots but it still looks mighty long!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Hugin (sadly no longer with us...) was a lovely example of the old type of knabstrupper, the baroque horse, 15 - 15.2, muscular but elegant with strong hindquarters, tall & massive neck, mobile hocks and very active paces. The Danes, along with Friesian, Lusitano and PRE breeders, are now trying to make "sportshorses" out of them :-(

HashRouge

Visit site
Hugin the knapstrupper stallion owned by bent branderup is so beautiful he could win anyones heart, and he is completely blind, he is an utterly stunning example of the breed.
Well I don't know. He's pretty but he's still too spotty for my liking!

To be honest it's horses for courses and not a thing wrong with that.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Yes but the lower leg seems to be abnormally long in comparison to the rest of his body. I know he has heeled and topped boots but it still looks mighty long!

Erm, it's a painting...so the proportions are, em, artistic...

Cobgoblin...you were taught by Louis XIII! How old ARE you?

Orangehorse

Visit site
I really dislike these bone-headed coloured cobs. I know, I know, there are some good ones, some win showing classes, go hunting, can jump, etc. etc. but they would be far from my first choice.

I'm not a big fan of Welshies in general. The A, B and C can look utterly sweet but can be little sh....ts, we know what. And I think Section Ds are fine in Wales, when you have a convenient Welsh mountain to ride them up and tire them out, but I have know some bonkers, hysterical, steam rollers of that breed!

I have had some good Shetlands, so don't dislike them. Also New Forest and Connemaras. Of course, nothing can beat a beautiful thoroughbred, even though I don't want to ride them anymore.

tristar

Visit site
the unicorn is magical creature, who has no need for common and everyday objects such as haynets.

i think its a bad reflection on us to dislike a breed,
because most horses if trained properly can be beautiful and have their own special qualities, if they are given the chance.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site

no no no nonono.... that is basically a 17c depiction of a pony tanking off, which Thelwell copied.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I've been taught this lesson over and over!
Not only that, but those individuals can change so much. My welsh was daft, ungenuine, backward and generally horrid when I first got her - I've just come out of the school beaming at how much she has changed - now willing, forward, ultra trainable and the daftness has turned into a quickness to learn. Complete turnaround.

Beautiful Sukistokes, I love blue eyes, I find them quite mesmerising.

Thank you ,
He is my baby:)
I like the blue eyes, it's interesting because you can really see where they are looking. For example I was always told the eyes followed the ears, well they don't always, sometimes moses points his ears one way and looks another. He always spots the camera.....the tart!!

Last edited:

GemG

Visit site
Cobs, esp hairy traditional ones, sorry, if that was the only type of horse you could have... I wouldn't be interested in horses. Not keen on Fell/Dale either.

Isn't it funny how you develop your own preferences through your own experiences etc!?! Non-horsey people think they're all [horses] the same, when quite clearly, they most certainly aren't!!!!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
GemG Isn't it funny how you develop your own preferences through your own experiences etc!?! Non-horsey people think they're all [horses said:
the same, when quite clearly, they most certainly aren't!!!!

To be honest under the skin, under the feather and bone they are all the same. Just like dogs we have simply not been breeding them selectively long enough for them to be that different. Minor traits maybe but not the deep programming where it counts.

I like horses, if I had to be without, what ever it looked like, I'm not sure I'd really want to live. Feel the same about dogs.

I do have a type, heavier, with bone and hairy , short backed and difficult to fit a saddle to.

However I dislike no breed or type of horse, I find beauty in them all. Even the poor over bred " scrub" stock. They are as deserving of appropriate care as any " better" horse.

I hate nothing equine because I love horses in all their diversity. Same with dogs.

Merlod

Visit site
It depends on use really; I like something smart, comfortable, versatile and intelligent – native ponies seem to tick all the boxes for me. I particularly like welshies. I also would consider an arabian but not a "seahorse" headed one.

I don’t like tb’s/trotter type things – ugly heads, spidery with no substance. I get that they are fast but that’s about it.

There are a few breeds that I don’t dislike but they don’t do anything for me under saddle – I would much rather see cobs, friesians, fjords and heavy horse breeds in harness.

Rollin

Visit site
Well I seem to like everything that's been shown in photos so far.

Blue eyes - yes
White sclera - yes
Flouncy cobs - yes etc...

I'm just wondering where the photo of Rollin's lovely Cleveland Bays is? :p

Thanks Faracat. A 16h Bay and Boring. CB filly both parents Quality Assured, Being schooled by a lady who competes at Prix St Georges.

photo_zps3f81cbdb.jpg

Rollin

Visit site

Let us go for it guys. How about why you would never own a TB? I ask this because when I lived in the UK my TB owning friends spent a lot of time and money with their local vet. This does not mean I don't like TB's but I would ask a lot of questions before buying one.

little_critter

Visit site
Thank you ,
He is my baby:)
I like the blue eyes, it's interesting because you can really see where they are looking. For example I was always told the eyes followed the ears, well they don't always, sometimes moses points his ears one way and looks another. He always spots the camera.....the tart!!

My girls eyes certainly don't follow the ears. I tried to teach her lesson 1 of clicker training (you don't get the treat until you show no interest in the treat). She quickly learned the 'rules' and you can see her pointedly looking away scrutinising the far corner....but 1 ear on the treat at all times. It's truly comical, like "la la la, I'm not looking at the treat, I'm NOT looing at that treat, if I keep looking over here you will give me the treat"

Sprat

Visit site
Let us go for it guys. How about why you would never own a TB? I ask this because when I lived in the UK my TB owning friends spent a lot of time and money with their local vet. This does not mean I don't like TB's but I would ask a lot of questions before buying one.

I don't think I would completely rule out a TB, but it would have to be put together well for me to be interested. There's a lovely old ex racer at my yard who is just stunning, has good feet, sane, generally no issues. I wouldn't mind one like that.

I don't think I would be able to ride one side of a recently OTTB though.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
You are right, he is gorgeous. If the rest of the breed was the same stamp as he, then I doubt so many would dislike them.

I really wouldn't buy anything narrow so TB's or Arab's, standardbred, FT etc. I wouldn't personally buy a cob type or anything under 17hh unless a real stamp of a horse. I'm not keen on lusitanos, gelderlanders, modern fresians, Andalusians (unless a stallion) or anything grey.

I don't dislike any of the above, but still wouldn't purchase any of the above.

What I really hate is a prissy horse that's over dramatic and fannies about. I don't mind spooking and a bit of life about them, but like a horse to have the same 'sod it, lets give it a bash' temperament as me!

I think a lot of people think Arabs are narrow spindly things but most are really not both of mine are in X wide saddles and have a leg in each corner, and most people that ride them comment how wide they are one of mine like sitting on a barrel his ribcage is huge, I am not trying to convince you to like Arabs I know they are not for everyone but I just had to comment on the narrow thing:)

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I think a lot of people think Arabs are narrow spindly things but most are really not both of mine are in X wide saddles and have a leg in each corner, and most people that ride them comment how wide they are one of mine like sitting on a barrel his ribcage is huge, I am not trying to convince you to like Arabs I know they are not for everyone but I just had to comment on the narrow thing:)

Agreed, even my dainty PBA is a MW minimum (W in jeffries :eek:), back shape is an odd one as despite being built like a tank with regard amount of bone and amount of shoulder and bum Topaz is still only a MW due to her shaping behind the withers.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Agreed, even my dainty PBA is a MW minimum (W in jeffries :eek:), back shape is an odd one as despite being built like a tank with regard amount of bone and amount of shoulder and bum Topaz is still only a MW due to her shaping behind the withers.

I have known much taller horses to have narrower saddles as well, my friends sports horse of 16.1 is a medium fit and she is like sitting on a razor blade compared to my small stumpy 15h barrel of an arab.

its very deceiving as looking at your Topaz you would think she would need a much wider saddle.