WHAT BREEDS WOULD YOU LIKE TO OWN

appylass

Visit site
I'm very happy with my highland :) He was a long time dream. If I had oodles of land I'd have a couple of Suffolk mares to try and help preserve the breed. Wouldn't say no to a nice Exmoor and Dartmoor too! Oh and another appaloosa - but he'd have to be as brilliant as my old boy!

Damnation

Visit site
I always wanted a WB and I got a WB (She is basically a TB X) but having owned an ex racer TB, I would jump at the chance for another one. I would LOVE an Andalusian, a Welsh D or a hunter type cob, oh and a friesian, and a shire, and a Tenesee walking horse. Infact, if I could have one of every breed in the world I would :rolleyes:

Tinseltoes

Visit site

Wow nice selection of horses. I love those horses in the link,wouldnt mind one of those,especially the spotty one,if I had my own land that is,and Id love a friesian.and the mustang.Another medium/heavy weight coloured cobblet would be nice too!!!
Too many to choose from. Wish I had my own land Sighhhhhhhh

noodle_

Visit site
i have my dream horse - warmblood x cob.... shes an amazing "person!" :)

But as well as her id like - andalucian, full bred warmblood and a new forest!!!

new forest was going to happen next year until I realised if i buy a 2nd, the first cant go out and party as much as we could without a 2nd soooooo :/

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
Wish my Haffie was bigger so I could ride him - he is such a sweet person. Anyone out there recommend a good heavy breed?

If you're looking for a weight carrier, maxi cobs are the best way to go. Heavy horses aren't always the good weight carriers people automatically think they are. They are designed to pull weight, not carry it, and so for their height/weight they are actually relatively poor weight carriers.

Last edited:

Ally_F

Visit site
I already have a TB - although it was the one breed I never wanted ... But I love him and wouldn't change him for the world.

Always wanted a Quarter Horse - so I bought one! just can't wait to ride her now, I'm sure this will be the longest year of my life! :rolleyes:

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
If you're looking for a weight carrier, maxi cobs are the best way to go. Heavy horses aren't the good weight carriers people automatically think they are. They are designed to pull weight, not carry it, and so for their height/weight they are actually relatively poor weight carriers.

All depends which heavies you are talking about. Fany is well up to carrying weight. She is 14-2hh and has a lot of bone, I can't get my hands around it! She carried the dealer we bought her off and he must have weighed around 18 stone. Ardennes are compact rather than rangy like some of the heavies.

FDC

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
All depends which heavies you are talking about. Fany is well up to carrying weight. She is 14-2hh and has a lot of bone, I can't get my hands around it! She carried the dealer we bought her off and he must have weighed around 18 stone. Ardennes are compact rather than rangy like some of the heavies.

FDC

Fany is only 14.2?!?!? :O :O :O :O :O
Whenever I've seen pictures of her I thought she was at least a hand bigger than that!
I think when I wrote that, I was thinking more about english heavies tbh (as thats what I have and work with!), and that is what is most usually avaliable. But your right, some of the continental breeds in particualar are better weight carriers than their english counterparts.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Wish my Haffie was bigger so I could ride him - he is such a sweet person. Anyone out there recommend a good heavy breed?

Ardennes (Trait Ardennais) rather than Trait Du Nord are lovely horses, they are surprisingly nimble and surefooted, have nice active paces and good natures. They carry weight well and are good doers, which not all the heavies are. They don't usually need shoeing or rugging. Fany gets no hard feed so is easy to keep.

However, they can be stubborn, in fact I've never met one that isn't. Not chuck my weight around, kick / bite you stubborn, just plant my feet and refuse stubborn. They are also fully aware of their strength so need careful training especially around being bargy.

That said, they are sweet natured, kind and gentle. True gentle giants. Fany has never bitten, kicked or been in any other way aggressive. She stands perfectly for vet and EDT. Leans a bit on the farrier though. Stood perfectly for 2 hours to be clipped, that was her first time, never moved a muscle.

I don't believe any horse is 100% bombproof but she has never shied at anything! Even an angle grinder starting up next to her just got a look.

She can jump, but the Whittakers are not after her! She can do flat work but Totilas is not quaking in his hoof boots!

She is pretty too, well in my opinion anyway! Overall I would have another Ardennes any day.
FDC

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Fany is only 14.2?!?!? :O :O :O :O :O
Whenever I've seen pictures of her I thought she was at least a hand bigger than that!
I think when I wrote that, I was thinking more about english heavies tbh (as thats what I have and work with!), and that is what is most usually avaliable. But your right, some of the continental breeds in particualar are better weight carriers than their english counterparts.

Actually she is only 14-1 and a half! But don't tell anyone! She must have had a life time certificate for showing in Belgium, as she did extremely well over there. I know what you mean about the English heavies, we live around the corner from Cumbrian Heavy Horses and they have a weight limit of 14 stone I think.
FDC

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Over the other side of the hill from me, there are some stunt/film horses. Alot of them are PRE and I once met a lovely dapple grey PRE of theirs out hacking. I'd love to have him, but sadly even though he didn't suit stunt work one of the main stunt rider's sons kept him as their happy hack, *sigh* but he has a lovely home so :)

I'd love an akhal-teke too.