What can you see?

southerncomfort

Visit site
Could it be calcification on the last the last rib due to a previous injury? A friend of mine has just this on one of her ribs and it does occasionally ache (I know that doesn't make sense but she swears it does hurt sometimes).

Good luck with the vet today, really hope you get to the bottom of what's going on with him.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
To me he is holding himself like a sore horse, wouldn't like to say where put his posture is not one of comfort. ( I think Casey76 merens had a similar look (turned out pssm on that one)

I do spot the lumps too.

Will be nice to hear what he vet thinks.

Last edited:

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Hi, it went as expected really.

The vet checked him over fully and then he was ridden for the vet. He was good on the right rein but tried to bog off again on the left. Vet feels there is a problem on that side. Lump could be an old injury, which has been aggravated, or it could be nothing. Vet is pretty sure it's not his back, it's not his saddle and he not only doing the bogging off with me, so it's not me. Bloods were taken and pssm will be checked for among other things. Vet said his gut feeling was that it is an injury, he felt a period of field rest should be given and that we would check again then. So Kev is on holiday in a grass field , on his own but next to his mate.
The horse showed his true colours today not flicking an ear at a car sounding its horn continuously, as it went up the hill and a trailer with metal in it bouncing as it flew down the hill, next to the school. I jumped at that one.

PorkChop

Visit site

The vet checked him over fully and then he was ridden for the vet. He was good on the right rein but tried to bog off again on the left. Vet feels there is a problem on that side. Lump could be an old injury, which has been aggravated, or it could be nothing. Vet is pretty sure it's not his back, it's not his saddle and he not only doing the bogging off with me, so it's not me. Bloods were taken and pssm will be checked for among other things. Vet said his gut feeling was that it is an injury, he felt a period of field rest should be given and that we would check again then. So Kev is on holiday in a grass field , on his own but next to his mate.
The horse showed his true colours today not flicking an ear at a car sounding its horn continuously, as it went up the hill and a trailer with metal in it bouncing as it flew down the hill, next to the school. I jumped at that one.

Only just seen your update!

This is sort of good, how are you feeling about it?

Pinkvboots

Visit site

sounds quite positive I suppose you just have to wait for the bloods and go from there, glad his not to worried about his back being an issue I think that is the main worry area isn't it ? I think field rest is a good plan :)

diamondrockharvey

Visit site
Good to hear you have a plan. I hope you can get to the bottom of it!
My cob started pulling away from me (or anyone) and taking off on the left rein when being lunged and also rushing and bucking when ridden on a left circle and it turned out after all sorts of investigation that he was born with a 'U' shaped bone in his right hock so doesn't like loading weight onto it in that direction. He is an angel if you ask him to do anything to the right or in a straight line. Without x-rays we would never have figured out what was wrong with him as when he had a lameness work up the vet said he was 1/10th lame if that! Unfortunately I was advised it is in=operable so he is just kept in light work now hacking in straight lines and on flat terrain and he is well happy with that!
You might be suprised in what you find with your boy. Just hope it all works out well for you both!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Thanks everyone,

I'm happy to have a plan. Some friends have found it strange I've not banged on with X-rays and scans but what to X-ray or scan !?

I've fence off a large grass field paddock and turned him out, apart from face pulling when I took Ffin out, his been happy. He looks relaxed and has already started to pick up. He follows me about when I poo pick.
I've spoken to my Chiro Vet she thinks it's a good move, my instructor thinks it's a good idea and I'm happy to give it a go.

In a month we check if there is any improvement, if there is then we can start again slowly. If not we investigate further. The question will be then how much further.
However I'll cross that bridge if we get there.

His bloods are back and apparently he is fine, although his red cell count is down but not too bad. The vet also check for the stuff beginning with G ,( name escapes me :D) which would be there if he had Pssm and it wasn't , so all good.

A trainer by the name of Jason Webb has been recommended to me as someone who could help me reschool as my instructor has said that it might be a good idea to fine someone with long legs to do some schooling on him, we are all short stops:)

He is a sweet horse, I'm pretty sure he never meant to lose his rider , so it's worth a go to give him every chance.

The invalid.........

Last edited:

LD&S

Visit site
Why the long face Kevin?
I'm glad everyone is agreed about the plan, it makes life so much easier and you don't have PSSM to worry about. I hope Kevin is enjoying his holiday.

fuzzymooch

Visit site
Hi op hope Kevin is feeling better. Re lump I'm glad you have a plan, it always makes you feel more in control :).

If it is an old injury it might be worth seeing a physio/ osteo as it could cause the canter issue. I only mention it because when I got Mr C he'd been shoe horned into aefoum saddle (actually extra wide) and I put his issues (not standing for mounting, only cantering on one leg well - other reign he'd do the wrong lead or feel wobbly) down to back issues from saddle.

Then he had a slip and tweeked something, I got a physio/osteo out recommended by my vet who took one look at him and said she reckoned he was over compensating for an old injury. Long story short several visits later (see her twice a year now) and he's s different horse. After two visits canter dramatically improved. Might not be the same for Kevin but I thought I'd share in vase its of use.

Good luck to you and handsome Kev hope your back playing soon.