What car do you all drive???

katie_southwest

Visit site
Ok so Iv had my Freelander for a couple of years now, but it's just too expensive to keep.
It costs loads in fuel, when things break its so expensive to fix, tyres are twice as expensive etc etc.
Iv decided to go back to a smaller car.
Im thinking of a fiesta or a corsa, I dont go off road or anything , but I do drive across dartmoor (think lanes and uneven ground etc) needs to have enough room for my tack when Im riding, and not too expensive to run.
Any ideas?

ETA Toffee cheesecake for anyone with good ideas :)

Elsiecat

Visit site
A little Mini One :)
Hoping to swap for a Vauxhall Asta soon. Not that there's anything wrong with my Mini, I just like swapping cars! :D

ridefast

Visit site
I have a peugeot 206 diesel, it's my favourite so far, I'm always throwing her round bumpy country lanes full of potholes, then expecting her to do 90 - I mean! 70mph on motorways. Very cheap to run, the tax for a whole year is only £30 and does really well on fuel.

russianhorse

Visit site
Me too tinsel cat - I love changing cars just because

I'm trying to save up for another Vito (it was the best vehicle for the roads round here, and has looooads of room for collection of hay and straw etc lol lol :)

justabob

Visit site
I also drive a Freelander HSE and I agree very expensive to run. I paid £120 for a tyre the other day! Having said that my full service was only £170. Fuel consumption is verging on ridiculous as its always in 4 wheel drive. I love it though and I can tow a TB for short journeys.

xloopylozzax

Visit site
I have a bright yellow limited edition corsa. Not suitable for bumpy tracks, but loads of room in the boot :) bit crap on fuel but I gun it so hey ho...

Mince Pie

Visit site
I drive a Subaru Legacy, generally because I need the boot space for the dog/horse stuff. But they are tough as hell, great in the bad weather,
163007_465252625809_3186854_n.jpg

good for towing and I've only had to replace 1 exhaust on all of my Subarus (now on my 7th!)

Petrol is a big cost however as mine is ancient - when I win the lottery I'm going to buy one with the boxer diesel engine!

Last edited:

LeneHorse

Visit site
My last 3 cars have been Corsas. My X Reg was a great wee car and much more economical fuel wise than my current 11 plate. I think they kept the same engine but put a much bigger body on so it is more spacious than the old model but feels a bit underpowered.
It doesn't bother me as I'm not a speed merchant but if you like something nippy you might find it a bit frustrating.
Good boot room for horsey stuff though. My X Reg was great in the snow - this one hasn't really been tested yet (hope it won't be this winter - can do without the white stuff!)
I can also testify to their bodywork - my 09 plate corsa was written off and I walked away without a scratch - the police at the scene commented if it had been an older car I would not have been so lucky.

Enfys

Visit site
We have a miniscule, horridly uncomfortable and claustrophobic, but extremely economical Mini something or other, blue anyway, I hate the thing, we also have a Nissan Titan which is everything the mini is not :)

Big Ben

Visit site
No help here, My main drive, is my tow vehicle, 6.5 litre diesel, 1/2 ton Chevvy/GMC pickup, it is a combination of tow vehicles, so not sure which brand currently wins.

Or there is the current 'nice' vehicle, 5.4 litre petrol, 1/2 ton pick, that one is a GMC.

Then there is my 'new' truck, which is a 3/4 ton, 5.7 litre petrol, GMC, waiting to get her through the MOT equivalent, so I can get her road legal.

Or the next 'nice' tuck, which is a 6 litre Chevvy, heavy duty, 1/2 ton, but rated nearer 3/4.

Oh, 1/2 ton here is rated differently to the UK, I can tow a goose neck trailer with 8 cows in it with the half ton.

No car currently, there are two Infinities in the shop, one is ours that an old guy ran a red light and crashed into, and another damaged repairable, that the boys are going to combine to make one decent roadworthy car.

But given that 70% of my driving is done on gravel and dirt roads, and that the hardtop in this province is a joke, pick up trucks are actually more of a necessity than a luxury.

cblover

Visit site
I've got a 1.3ltr diesel astra and hubby has a 2.2ltr diesel mondeo....so choice of two really but mainly the astra for me! Great car!

Shutterbug

Visit site
I have a little Nissan Almera 1.6 that does for work and shopping and I have a Nissan Terrano 2.7TDI for the yard and towing (once I get the new tow bar fitted)

Highlands

Visit site
Renault Clio sports tourer, great 'urban' car in black. Turbo diesel, 1.5 ! Cheap to run, great on fuel but tyres ....... Wow! £150 each! Small tax, £20 cheap insurance yet shifts!

WelshD

Visit site
I have a Mercedes A class, I really like it as it has a nice big square boot opening and so is very practical for bags of shavings - I can fit four in the back and one in the passenger seat! its tall too so you get a nice high seating position, also the back seats come clean out very easily so you can have it as a little van.

Its good on the field too and even in the snow and mud doesnt struggle

best of all it has no clutch pedal but a normal gear stick so its soooo easy to drive!

It spends its life as a workhorse, its always full - here it is full of chicken coops!

660_zpsa3f88bbc-1_zps2eb85e46.jpg

Legendary Frazzle

Visit site
ford focus zetech 1.9ltr diesel - 62mpg (at the moment depends on journeys though) - good car fits a lot of crap in it, doesnt cost much to fix although it goes wrong rather a lot although it has got 200,000 miles on the clock. good mpg, speedy, fits lots of hay and saddles in and doesnt mind off roading :)

Last edited:

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
We have a Kia Sorento for towing but I commute long distances everyday so it was costing a fortune. We got a diesel Yaris and it is fab, very economical and feels well made and sturdy. The back seats pull forward to make boot bigger, mine carries tack and all my horsey get up easily.

horseyvon

Visit site
Used to have Peugeots but now have a Nissan Micra. Cheap to run & keep! Great for getting me round the rural roads in Norfolk, including very wet muddy tracks. I am sure it thinks it is a 4x4 :)

DW Team

Visit site
Audi all road A6 3l. Diesel. Long runs get up to 38.6mpg but on short local it drops to about 32ish. I love the Audi for it's road handling. A great workhorse with it's flat load boot space i find it great for the dog and shopping. Horse food loads and unloads so easily. Also I find with the alterable suspension it is great on the muddy yard and awful roads around us.
OH has two cars a econetic Fiesta which he uses most of the time but he has his toy a MG midget who is 40 this year!