What could my husband ride?

Goldenstar

Visit site
And here’s H as a young horse so you can see how much muscle bulk they develop I would not have had him carrying that weight then D35F624C-B6E5-4BB4-9887-F2A5F76512D3.jpeg

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm about your husbands weight and dont ride as I'm too heavy. nearly 17 stone plus tack is an awful lot of weight for any horse to carry through two small saddle panels.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I'm about your husbands weight and dont ride as I'm too heavy. nearly 17 stone plus tack is an awful lot of weight for any horse to carry through two small saddle panels.

It is a lot but if it’s the right horse who is mature and well muscled and the saddles are right a horse can carry weight ,all my draughts have their saddles made for them and have two saddles H and Sky have 18 inch custom saddles for when the boys ride them and 17 and half saddles for when the ladies do they have different flocking and panels the two saddles the 18 inch saddles help them carry the bigger riders although neither will hunt carrying seventeen stone but H could the picture does not do him justice he’s huge in his body and he’s got proper bone .he was a MW in the first picture he’s XW now .
It’s hard to imagine that he started out as he is in the upside down picture .

LadyGascoyne

Visit site

It might be that we don’t find the right horse (or at least, one in my budget) and he sticks to groundwork with Mim, which he is doing at the moment.

He’s a very big guy, and no argument that he’s too heavy for the average horse but he’s also very strong and balanced so if we were to find something with the right confirmation, I know he’ll be the lightest rider that a 6’2 heavy set man could be.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Gosh he’s a lot lighter, really interesting!

So if you buy young you have to train and wait for them to develop carrying strength in the young horse shot that’s MrGS and he would be 12 stone seven there the horse was doing short days and not being pushed .
H has never carried seventeen stone but he could especially if you are not thinking about hunting which is a bigger task it’s hard work for them .

Julia0803

Visit site
Really enjoyed following this thread.

I’ve got half an eye out for my son’s next horse. His loan horse sadly went back a few months ago as despite our best effort vet couldn’t fix his SI issues. He was 17.2 warmblood, really narrow.

I think this time round i would feel much happier going for something, shorter, solid, wider (and hopefully less prone to breaking and costing a mortgage to feed each month!).

We have a slightly different problem, that he’s taller than OP’s husband. I haven’t measured him in a few months, he was just over 6’4 then, so probably closer to 6’5 now... but weighs just under 11stone. So no weight, all gangly limb!

If anyone has some pics of other halves/family/friends of similar height riding I’d love to see? I’m trying to visualise what he could ride. In an ideal world I’d rather he stayed under 16.2, some sort of IDx cob, but I’ve only seen them around the 15.3/16 mark and I don’t know if they’d be wide enough to take up the leg. Really I’d just like our 14.2cob in a 16.2 size! He still looked ok on him at 6ft!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Oh my goodness I think you should go for Pebbles! She's so sweet looking.

I also love the bay ID mare and I'd be getting her posted up here if I had room. ?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We are in North Oxfordshire so not too far at all, and I really, really like her. She’s slightly above budget though so I’m sort of waiting to see if I find something under £4k but will stretch if I have to.

If you like her, I would arrange a viewing and make an offer. I would expect a professional home to be happy to accept an offer, especially from an experienced family home. They sound like a responsible RS, 4 years is a good length of time for a weight carrier to spend being ridden by mainly novices. I have had two who were moved on after roughly that time.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It might be that we don’t find the right horse (or at least, one in my budget) and he sticks to groundwork with Mim, which he is doing at the moment.

He’s a very big guy, and no argument that he’s too heavy for the average horse but he’s also very strong and balanced so if we were to find something with the right confirmation, I know he’ll be the lightest rider that a 6’2 heavy set man could be.

Find something with a short back for its size, that will assist witht he weight carrying.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Just another thing, when you’re doing the ‘what weight can this horse carry’ thing, do factor in the rider’s clothing and the tack. I did this once and found that my 18” Ideal Event saddle (a traditional type of leather saddle) weighed 20lbs complete with leather girth and springer bow balance stirrups, plus it was another stone for my riding gear inc HSI hat, Jodh boots, half chaps and air jacket.

So I needed to add 21/2 stone to my nekked weight to do the sums.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Following with interest! My other half is 6'4" and around 16st 5lbs on average - he has had a handful of lessons on an Ardennes gelding who could carry him all day. If he keeps an interest then it would be lovely to have a horse we can both ride one day and I always figured a good ID would be the way to go. Really interesting to follow the options here! I hope you find something. :)

Clodagh

Visit site
Really enjoyed following this thread.

I’ve got half an eye out for my son’s next horse. His loan horse sadly went back a few months ago as despite our best effort vet couldn’t fix his SI issues. He was 17.2 warmblood, really narrow.

I think this time round i would feel much happier going for something, shorter, solid, wider (and hopefully less prone to breaking and costing a mortgage to feed each month!).

We have a slightly different problem, that he’s taller than OP’s husband. I haven’t measured him in a few months, he was just over 6’4 then, so probably closer to 6’5 now... but weighs just under 11stone. So no weight, all gangly limb!

If anyone has some pics of other halves/family/friends of similar height riding I’d love to see? I’m trying to visualise what he could ride. In an ideal world I’d rather he stayed under 16.2, some sort of IDx cob, but I’ve only seen them around the 15.3/16 mark and I don’t know if they’d be wide enough to take up the leg. Really I’d just like our 14.2cob in a 16.2 size! He still looked ok on him at 6ft!

I can't find a pic but my stepson is 6'5" and muscular (rower) and he rode my 16.1 hh ID mare. Only for hacks but she never looked at all bothered. In fact she was a sharp mare but as his legs came down well, but not ridiculously, he sat her bad behaviour very well.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Some suggestions...

a052.gif
a045.gif
a050.gif

I'll get m'coat :p:D

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
We are in North Oxfordshire so not too far at all, and I really, really like her. She’s slightly above budget though so I’m sort of waiting to see if I find something under £4k but will stretch if I have to.

I think Pebbles could be a great buy! I googled the seller's number and the mare seems to have come from Enborne Equestrian Centre which has good reviews. There are a few photos of her in the field on their Facebook page.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Coloured mare won’t work for us. Bay ID is a good option, but fairly far away so I’d need to be serious about her to drive. If she’s still available once we’ve shopped around a bit, I may find out if we can see her.