What could these lumps be?

JustMe22

Visit site
Anyone have any idea what might cause these lumps? They're on his spine and are hard, not soft. He "shivers" when they're touched. The skin is fine and not broken at all.

Horse is off the track just over 6 months and has also lost a lot of weight over the last month to six weeks or so and become quite spooky and fresh despite looking and going great just a couple of weeks before. We are currently treating him for ulcers in the hope that might help but curious to hear what other people think might be causing it.

Thanks all!

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Could be many things, we have one here that had similar and they ended up going scabby and had to be picked off, but this is a very itchy mare.

Allergy or saddle pressure - too late in the year for fly bites

The sort of lumps in your picture are relatively common in horses. They are usually an allergic reaction but the problem is determining what your horse is reacting to. Some vets think they are caused by a reaction to proteins in the body which is sparked off by the heat and rubbing action of a saddle or rug. Others think the lumps are started by a fly or parasite bite. Such lumps are not necessarily itchy but are usually composed of many inflammatory cells collecting together.

It is possible to use anti-inflammatory agents when the lumps first appear. A steroid injection from your vet usually makes them disappear quite quickly but this is a bit too heavy-handed for many people. Anti-inflammatory creams applied to the skin may also work but it depends on how long the lumps have been there and whether they have become fibrous and therefore less amenable to anti-inflammatory treatment.

The main means of stopping further lumps is to make sure the skin over the affected areas does not become too hot and sweaty. The application of cream from your vet may stop lumps developing further and getting too bad or you could try some of the alternative creams on the market such as calendula (marigold) creams or those containing cedrus deodara.

JustMe22

Visit site
Should mention that I'm in Africa so it's summer now.

Thanks for your response Tyssandi :) Appreciate it!

I must say, my other horse has had many allergic reactions and gets sweet itch etc but these lumps really don't feel the same. They're quite large and concentrated only over the spine, nowhere else. They're more like the bumps you might feel on a horse with a back injury - that's the closest I can come to describing it!

The vet is coming later this week so she can confirm but a lot of experienced people have seen them and we all seem to think it isn't an allergic reaction...but then no idea what else it could be.

Saddle was fitted about a month ago, we use a sheepskin pad and an airflow saddlepad with a mesh spinal channel, so I would be surprised if the saddle itself rubs. He does of course get sweaty as it's Africa, so really hope that isn't the cause as hot and sweaty is a bit unavoidable during summer here!

Will definitely ask the vet about anti-inflammatories and possible allergic reactions in any case, but for some reason it just doesn't feel like that's the answer. :/

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Really strange. I also think that an allergic type thing would be less localised in that area, weird. Will you report back when vet has been? :)

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
The sort of lumps in your picture are relatively common in horses. They are usually an allergic reaction but the problem is determining what your horse is reacting to. Some vets think they are caused by a reaction to proteins in the body which is sparked off by the heat and rubbing action of a saddle or rug. Others think the lumps are started by a fly or parasite bite. Such lumps are not necessarily itchy but are usually composed of many inflammatory cells collecting together.

It is possible to use anti-inflammatory agents when the lumps first appear. A steroid injection from your vet usually makes them disappear quite quickly but this is a bit too heavy-handed for many people. Anti-inflammatory creams applied to the skin may also work but it depends on how long the lumps have been there and whether they have become fibrous and therefore less amenable to anti-inflammatory treatment.

The main means of stopping further lumps is to make sure the skin over the affected areas does not become too hot and sweaty. The application of cream from your vet may stop lumps developing further and getting too bad or you could try some of the alternative creams on the market such as calendula (marigold) creams or those containing cedrus deodara.

Nice google - shouldn't you acknowledge your source? http://www.freevetadvice.co.uk/lumps2.htm

JustMe22

Visit site
Really strange. I also think that an allergic type thing would be less localised in that area, weird. Will you report back when vet has been? :)

Not some sort of parasite like warbles is it - do you get them there?

Yep, I think parasites too. My guess would be a Hypoderma spp. as FfionWinnie suggested.

The vet has come to see him and we are treating him for gastrodiscus. It's not too common here, so didn't come up on my radar, but is basically a parasitic snail. We can't actually be sure if he has them right now, but the treatment is much cheaper than the test (much like ulcers) so we will do that first thing tomorrow and it should be evident within a day if he is suffering from gastrodiscus.

If he is, it should also then become obvious fairly quickly whether that's the cause of the weight loss and strange lumps - but it can cause serious protein deficiency, and as I said to my instructor, the lumps are sort of reminiscent of rickets like I've seen in malnourished dogs.

The only bizarre thing is that if this is the cause, it was most likely picked up at the racing yard (due to the climate and environment in which gastrodiscus thrives) and he has been down here since April, so I am not sure what the reason would be for symptoms only appearing so late.

Will update as and when we know more!

Nice google - shouldn't you acknowledge your source? http://www.freevetadvice.co.uk/lumps2.htm

You are much sharper than me!

Turitea

Visit site
I am really curious to find out what it was in the end. Have a few other ideas. Worked a few years in veterinary parasitology (sheep/cattle) hence my interest.
Hope your horse recovers soon. :)

JustMe22

Visit site
Well the vet came and we treated for gastrodiscus but there were none! The lumps have spread to over his wither now. Vet is coming back on Monday and we'll reassess. Bit of a mystery!