What counts as "too big"

moo17

Visit site
I am 5' tall and weigh seven and a half stone. What is the smallest I could ride (obviously build and breed is dependant, but just generally).

my mums friend has an 10.2hh sheltie who has become a bit of a handful for her daughter to ride. she wants me to school him a little.

thanks !

3Beasties

Visit site
I would happily let you ride my 12hh Section A (Right hand Piccy in Sig) who I would say is a finer build then Shetlands. If the owner is happy to let you ride the Shetland then you should be fine, just obviously keep sessions short and don't do to much with him, if you feel he is struggling with your weight then don't carry on.

MrsElle

Visit site
When I was younger and thinner I used to work at a riding school and would ride the shetties during winter (kids at school, too dark to ride after) to exersise them. I am 5'2" and was 7 and a half stone.

You'll be fine
smile.gif

moo17

Visit site
haven't got a pic of him i'm afraid.

thanks guys
smile.gif

i think i'm going to try it out and see, i'm not going to do a lot with him and if he feels like hes struggling i'll be straight off.

Dubsie

Visit site
My 10 year old daughter is 5ft1, weighs exactly 7st and is getting too long in the leg for her 11.2 Welshie, whose owner says she's fine for anyone under 9st. As daughter is all leg, I'm imagining you're more in proportion, in which case I don't think you'd look too bad on a 10.2 Shetland as they're usually more rotund and sturdier than the (now quite fit) Welsh is, and certainly you'd not be not too heavy.
Think it would do the Shetland the world of good to learn that not every rider can be taken advantage of. I think it sounds fun. Enjoy!

misst

Visit site
The kids who race the shetlands in the "grand national" and the "derby" sometimes weigh more than you and some are taller (though they have become a bit stricter in the last few years).

I was told Shetlands used to carry men over the highlands and islands of Scotland in the old days.

rubyrumba

Visit site
I used to ride works shetland as he was very naughty to say it nicely for their small young children. Then I was 17 and quite tall but only weighed about 8 and 1/2 stone( I was way too skinny but soon grew out of that! lol). He still managed to try to buck me off too!