What do I know?!

palo1

Visit site
To be honest I would be thrilled with mid 60's dressage however hard I worked at it and I would be hugely encouraged to keep going. :) Last time I did a BD test I got 58% on a horse that was never designed for dressage (the one comment on his 5 stage at 3 was that 'he won't make a dressage horse!!) nor has the interest in it. We hadn't worked in a school more than a couple of times before the test and I was purely out to have fun. I was actually quite impressed with that result so anything better than that would be considered quite a success here :D:D I truly don't mind that many people might see that as mediocre - it's fine for me. As for jumping, well I would LOVE to jump a hedge (a sort of small one...) with confidence on both of our parts and be able to enjoy some hunter trials with Alw but I have done those things before on a mad little cob and know that isn't impossible. I don't feel particularly disheartened by this trainers comments, especially as we don't know each other well but I was genuinely disappointed and confused wondering if she could see things that I really can't. I think it is probably a combination of things and no matter how nice she is, if she doesn't 'get' us and feel inspired to help then it is probably going to lead to disappointment and frustration all round. The main thing is that I want Alw to be able to enjoy her work and stay as sound and healthy as possible for as many years as possible. It needs to be fun for all of us!!

palo1

Visit site
'She is a baby, I'm not writing her off just yet' would be along the lines of my response.

Everyone has a type, its just learning to accept that not everyone likes the same flavour.

Yes - I suspect she prefers tbs and Irish types (she has several of each) and perhaps can't see the appeal of a buzzy little native!!

j1ffy

Visit site
I have just caught up on this thread and I'm pleased you've decided not to go back. I have trained with someone who sounded similar - although she was a very good trainer for the basics, she seemed keen to keep everyone training at a level rather than helping them to really progress. In hindsight I think she didn't have the experience that her social media presence suggested so she didn't have to tools to assist a combination beyond Novice, maybe Elementary level.

That was many years ago and I've had a wide variety of trainers since. I find the best ones are those that have seen a lot and ridden a lot of different horses so see beyond the competition potential and love finding the key to a particular combination. It requires a passion for coaching instead of results IMHO. The team at AM Dressage are great examples, the three have very different styles and can be blunt ;), but all seem to have that desire to help you find the tools to improve.

Alw looks absolutely lovely on the other thread and I have no doubt that you'll achieve everything you plan and more!

palo1

Visit site
I have just caught up on this thread and I'm pleased you've decided not to go back. I have trained with someone who sounded similar - although she was a very good trainer for the basics, she seemed keen to keep everyone training at a level rather than helping them to really progress. In hindsight I think she didn't have the experience that her social media presence suggested so she didn't have to tools to assist a combination beyond Novice, maybe Elementary level.

That was many years ago and I've had a wide variety of trainers since. I find the best ones are those that have seen a lot and ridden a lot of different horses so see beyond the competition potential and love finding the key to a particular combination. It requires a passion for coaching instead of results IMHO. The team at AM Dressage are great examples, the three have very different styles and can be blunt ;), but all seem to have that desire to help you find the tools to improve.

Alw looks absolutely lovely on the other thread and I have no doubt that you'll achieve everything you plan and more!

Thank you so much! Yes, onwards and upwards :)

oldie48

Visit site
so much of this rings true for me.
There's also a difference between an owner/rider wanting to train their horse up as well as they can within their own limitations, and someone thinking they are going to be smashing out the 70s scores all the way up the levels. A good trainer will be able to tell who is who and what is the appropriate definition of success for each combination. We've started toward GP stuff with mine, not because we're nailing 70% at small tour because mine is a 60s horse all the way up and that's a bloody good effort for her, but she's ready for it. Some trainers might be snooty about combinations that are not going to get stratospheric results, but I like that mine sees my horse for what she is and we are learning together just doing our best :)
As some of you may have realised, MP and I train at the same place but with different trainers who work in very similar ways and I never feel there are limitations set. My trainer and I know MPs is the same, will be very honest about my horse (and in my case, does recognise that I am not a spring chicken so will let me stop for a drink of water if I look as if I am about to expire!) and that's good. They both train the partnership to be as good as it can be, for MP that's heading towards a GP outing, for me it's different but of no less of value to them. I come away from every lesson feeling challenged but wanting more. That's how we should all feel after a lesson.