what do I use - want "white" inside new stable

Grinch

Visit site
SOooooo excited found new stables for my 2 - they are brand new and coming next week. I really want to paint the inside white !
1. What shall I use?
2. Do people think its a good idea?

windand rain

Visit site
Presuming they are wood then several layers of white primer, then undercoat and then gloss paint for out doors so oil based. Personally I would only do that above the kicking boards if at all as below that level they will get very dirty and messy. Congratulations it is great getting new horsey things

JustKickOn

Visit site
Keep in mind that the white will get dirty quickly and it takes a lot of time and effort to keep it looking smart. Every poo stain will show up on the wall!

I did once see stables painted black for the bottom half and white on the top half which looked smart.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
If they are wood, then any preservative you put on in the future can (and most likely) will bleed through to the inside.
As others have said, only paint white above kick-board level.

Or you could use a lining board like white faced poly-ply (like is used in horseboxes for ceilings etc) on the upper parts as it is light to handle.

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
I just emulsioned mine with a roller (fully ply lined inside), they do get dirty lower down especially if you have one that poos next to the wall but I redo twice a year, jet wash and then repaint it only takes me a couple of hours to do each job and that is for 4 stables. They look so much brighter inside when they have been painted.

khalswitz

Visit site
Keep in mind that the white will get dirty quickly and it takes a lot of time and effort to keep it looking smart. Every poo stain will show up on the wall!

I did once see stables painted black for the bottom half and white on the top half which looked smart.

This. The black and white I've seen too and looks very smart.

Adopter

Visit site
We have always done our stab!es, black on bottom, and either white or magnolia on top, stays looking good all the time and as others have said reflects light in so you can see what you are doing!

pansy

Visit site
I have seen brick stables painted white inside , but never wooden stables - does it work well with wooden stables ?

Grinch

Visit site
Would you use normal dulux emulsion paint then ! :) - I am so looking forward to them coming and I like the black and cream idea very smart :)

RockinRudolph

Visit site
Every breeze block stable I have ever been in has been black and white. I'm sure I read somewhere once that back in the day, the black was actually something like tar to kill germs and the top was white to maximise the light. You will need masonry paint rather than regular paint for brick.
I've never seen wooden stables painted black and white though but I'm sure it would look just as smart.

Last edited:

Britestar

Visit site
My newly build stables made of breeze blocks are painted white with masonry paint. I wanted the bottom half to be black but that paint was way too expensive.
They look really nice and light.

windand rain

Visit site
Ifyou use emulsion it has to be silk or better still eggshell finish as matt finish washes off and you will be at it forever. Best black paint is expensive but is the bitumen paint which kills germs and looks smart for a long time and lasts longer

Shamrock123

Visit site
Hi, What about Barn Paint made by Bedec. It's designed for wood and comes in lots of colours! It is an exterior paint very durable and almost leaves a rubber sealed layer over the wood. I use it mainly for the outside of the stables but have a thing about white stable doors so have used the white there. It will certainly wipe/hose down better than emulsion. Not cheap though, hope this helps :)

Asha

Visit site
I would recommend chlorinated rubber paint, like the famers use in the milking parlours. Just hose it down when your horse has made a mess. It comes in different colours too. Just google agricultural paints, and im sure you will find a supplier.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I just had stables built too and was planning to paint inside white, but have decided against it. Its too much effort as chipboard soaks up so much paint I'd have to do quite a few coats and really can't be bothered! Taking ages to paint the outside green at the moment! Good luck if you do go ahead ;)

cobden

Visit site
I have timber stables and the bottom half is lined with black rubber wall mats, with the top painted white - it looks really well :). Given my time again I would probably line the boxes out with stokboard.

Grinch

Visit site
I have ordered kick boards - do like the sound of this black and white/cream - thank you everyone I will take pictures and try and post up when done x

daughter's groom

Visit site
This thread reminded me of a funny story. When my pony was away being broken to drive I decided to paint his (rented) stable. I painted the top cream and started to paint the bottom 4 layers of stone in what I thought was black. After painting a few stones I realised it was drying out purple but carried on as I thought it would be better to finish off than leave it half done. Next day it actually looked quite smart and with purple haynet draped on a stable ring, purple buckets artlessly placed to draw the eye, and a purple stable rug thrown carelessly over one wall, would have won the approval of Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen at least. However when I proudly presented it to returning pony he snorted and said, "If you think I'm going live with that tasteless scary decor you can think twice," then legged it down the lane to the field. Ungratteful little b*****!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I painted the bottom half of my stable like a brick red/burgundy type shade and the top half is white. It looks really smart.

My charming, but very unhorsey, OH went as far as colour matching the pooh stains on our previously unpainted stable walls, so now we have white on the upper portion and "Tudor Brown" up to kickboard height. Looks V. smart!

Grinch

Visit site
This thread reminded me of a funny story. When my pony was away being broken to drive I decided to paint his (rented) stable. I painted the top cream and started to paint the bottom 4 layers of stone in what I thought was black. After painting a few stones I realised it was drying out purple but carried on as I thought it would be better to finish off than leave it half done. Next day it actually looked quite smart and with purple haynet draped on a stable ring, purple buckets artlessly placed to draw the eye, and a purple stable rug thrown carelessly over one wall, would have won the approval of Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen at least. However when I proudly presented it to returning pony he snorted and said, "If you think I'm going live with that tasteless scary decor you can think twice," then legged it down the lane to the field. Ungratteful little b*****!
That so funny - I hope my babies like it -they have had a terriable life my little boy was beaten and my gorg cob mare was used as a foal machine - they are 6 and 10 - I have a way to go with the boy as he needs to 100%trust me he has come on so much can't wait till summer
The mare is the sweetest horse I have known so kind and gentle.

Grinch

Visit site
What do people think about this product as the Bedoc paint is very good but out of budget at the moment....

Ronseal Brushable One Coat Fencelife Forest Green 9Ltr

long lasting, fade-resistant protection to sheds and fences. Excellent coverage. Dries in just 1-2 hours. Safe for use around pets and plants. Covers approx. 6m²/Ltr.

Milkmaid

Visit site
I used 'garden fence' paint that is safe for pets on the inside of my wooden boxes. Black on the bottom, white on the top. I also have rubber wall mats on the back walls.
Used masking tape for the lines.
Looks super, clean & bright :) I have a picture somewhere will see if I can add it

attachment.php

Last edited:

ribbons

Visit site
Mine are the same as GinaB. Bottom 2 feet is brick red, the rest is white (on breeze block) looks lovely. I use exterior masonry paint and re do every two years.
The fronts and partitions are beech wood which I treat with boiled linseed oil. (Must be boiled sort or remains tacky forever) again, every two years.
Congratulations on your new stables, enjoy.

Visit site
We use normal Emulsion paint for the White and then the bottom half of the stable is black to keep it cleaner and smarter. The black paint is bitumen based. It is a good idea to have the bottom half black, as ammonia from Urine may stain this part of the walls and you won't be able to tell if it is black! Hope this helps :)

Bennions Field

Visit site
I paint my timber stables with normal white silk emulsion on the top half and repait each summer with a roller - takes couple of hours at most and dries within 24hrs. on the stock boards at the bottom I use dark brown creosote(stops the little darlings eating the wood), to be fair it was done originally 10 years ago and once since and doesnt need more than a brush off at the end of the winter with a good stiff dandy brush :) having the white at the top helps make it really light and airy, the farrier always comments that its light enough to do the horses inside on wet days without any lights on ;) sadly i'm restricted to brown creosote outside by the planners, but they look smart in the summer once they are re done, and its kept the wood preserved too :)