What do people think to this foal?

Clodagh

Visit site
I think she is absolutely stunning, but not an age that I am experienced enough to comment on beyond that. Maybe post the query in breeding?

Speedyfluff

Visit site
She does look very beautiful with a lovely head, neck and shoulder. She MAY be a little straight through the hock, but hard to tell in the moving pictures. Also, does she have an umbilical hernia?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It is impossible to evaluate those pictures, you cannot see the limb conformation. She is short in the neck. I assume it is the colour that is the attraction, I know nothing about the breed, the dam is a cross breed and no idea what the stallion is, does he have a competition record or progeny that can be investigated ?

If you are after a potential competition horse there are some very nicely bred foals on the market for similar money. Foals from proven stock.

MasterBenedict

Visit site
Striking looks . Only about 15 miles from me.

Hands off!! :p

It is impossible to evaluate those pictures, you cannot see the limb conformation. She is short in the neck. I assume it is the colour that is the attraction, I know nothing about the breed, the dam is a cross breed and no idea what the stallion is, does he have a competition record or progeny that can be investigated ?

If you are after a potential competition horse there are some very nicely bred foals on the market for similar money. Foals from proven stock.

Definitely not after a competition horse, more of a general all rounder/riding club type. Not so much the colour, but the breeding. I already show my boy a lot at national appaloosa shows, so would be nice if I decide to get another to be able to take both.

Ps. I have a video I can link if anyone wants to see?

vanrim

Visit site
She looks pretty good to me. I wouldn't say she is short in the neck looking at all the photos but one not particularly good photo does make her appear that way. The only thing negative I would say is that Appaloosas have a tendency to some breed specific medical problems so it might just be worth doing a bit of research or asking your vet before you make a decision.

SpottyMare

Visit site
I was looking at her the other day (she popped up on facebook) and wondering if I could afford a third... ;) I love her. Everything I've heard about the stallion is good - and from the pictures I've seen he's a really good example of a foundation appaloosa. I don't know of the mare though, so can't comment on her.

My mare is 1/4 CB and 3/4 appaloosa and it's a lovely mix.

On another note, did you go to the BApS Nationals?

Last edited:

MasterBenedict

Visit site
Hi SpottyMare, love the stallion, I have been watching his young stock for a while now, drool!

Do you have an picture of yours?

Didn't go to the BApS shows this year, did the ApHC but planning on the other way round next year. I have spoken to the breeder and she can be overstamped to be eligible for both :)

SpottyMare

Visit site
Just copied this off Redheart Appaloosas page as they've used him, quoting his owner:

“Atta is a 16.2HH 100% Foundation Bred Appaloosa Stallion. He is homozygous for black and carries one copy of Agouti (bay). We imported him to the UK in 2012 from his home at CT Ranch in South Dakota. He is a big softy, very laid back but also very clever. He is ridden but we haven’t ridden him yet, we are moving farms shortly and when we have an arena we will ride him and loose jump him. He is particularly special genetically being PATN1/PATN1 plus his height so we have been keen to breed with him as opposed to doing other things! I have attached a copy of an appaloosa filly by him owned by Martha Mitchell, this filly is winning a sports horse class of 18 youngsters. Altamount Sports horses used him last year too and had a cracking filly. If I had to go back and import again it would still be Atta we love him to bits.”

SpottyMare

Visit site
Yep - I keep an eye on him too! :)

I went and watched the ApHC on the Saturday! I can register mine as part bred with them, because although the stallion and the dam's parents were ApHC registered, I think that the dam herself wasn't.

Can't remember my photobucket account at the moment, but if you have the autumn newsletter with the national show pics in, I'm the one in the cowboy hat with quite a large (3yr old!) blanket spot... :D

MasterBenedict

Visit site
Yep - I keep an eye on him too! :)

I went and watched the ApHC on the Saturday! I can register mine as part bred with them, because although the stallion and the dam's parents were ApHC registered, I think that the dam herself wasn't.

Can't remember my photobucket account at the moment, but if you have the autumn newsletter with the national show pics in, I'm the one in the cowboy hat with quite a large (3yr old!) blanket spot... :D

I must have seen you there! Don't have my newsletter to hand unfortunately. Haven't got round to actually buying any pics from the day so can't post any :( we won the part bred champion on the Saturday :)

SpottyMare

Visit site
I must have seen you there! Don't have my newsletter to hand unfortunately. Haven't got round to actually buying any pics from the day so can't post any :( we won the part bred champion on the Saturday :)

I saw you! :D And quite right too - he's stunning

I've found a link to the photographers website - you can just about make her out under the watermarks ;) She's not quite grown into her legs yet either...: http://www.topshots.org.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1121638

SpottyMare

Visit site
B

Thank you :) She is absolutely lovely, what are your plans for her?

Thanks :) Similar to yours for this little one - general allrounder, possibly with some very low level eventing thrown in. Her plans mainly involve eating... ;)

I'd love to know how it goes if you do decide to go up and see her. She looks like a really promising filly to me!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
In reply to the OP, I think she is vastly overpriced for a weanling and I would also look closely at the *possible* umblicle hernia (another relatively common problem with Appy's one particular stallion, who is no longer alive, threw a few, which were then sold as unregistered....)

minesadouble

Visit site
In reply to the OP, I think she is vastly overpriced for a weanling and I would also look closely at the *possible* umblicle hernia (another relatively common problem with Appy's one particular stallion, who is no longer alive, threw a few, which were then sold as unregistered....)

Length of neck wouldn't really worry me at that age, plenty of foals look a bit short of neck but grow up to have a good length of rein. I agree with the above however regarding it being overpriced and also see what could be an umbilical hernia.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Interesting they mention the stallions colour genetics but but not his PSSM status, it's common in Appaloosas over the pond, I only know this due to my personal interest in the disease, I don't know anything about appys, maybe you know all about it and he's tested but if not, I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. Type 2 is now in the cusp of being proven as genetic as well so don't be fobbed off.

I pass this stud often and they have some pretty animals.