What do you all think of this advert?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
If that is what passes for a "professional" rider these days then I'm the King of Siam! Anyone can set themselves up as horse dealer; doesn't mean they know anything or can really train, or especially sort out a problem horse - which is what the old dealers and nagsmen did.

Flame_

Visit site
If that is what passes for a "professional" rider these days then I'm the King of Siam! Anyone can set themselves up as horse dealer; doesn't mean they know anything or can really train, or especially sort out a problem horse - which is what the old dealers and nagsmen did.

Most "sorted out" problem horses are simply ridden through their problem long enough to make the above plenty of money. Once screwed-up, as badly as this horse is obviously screwed-up, they remain screwed-up. I'm another one who wouldn't take it if you gave me £500.

As for credit for being honest, well great but she's no better than all the owners who take peanuts for their problem horses, just glad to see the back of them, knowing full well they'll only be "straightened out" long enough to make some professional a fair amount of cash before another amateur is landed with the long term problem. Everyone who passes on these sort of screw-ups is a part of a grubby chain of events, involving the horse going from home to home, alternately making a strong rider some cash then scaring, hurting and costing someone money. This isn't a horse fit to be changing hands, for £500 or any amount.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Most "sorted out" problem horses are simply ridden through their problem long enough to make the above plenty of money. Once screwed-up, as badly as this horse is obviously screwed-up, they remain screwed-up. I'm another one who wouldn't take it if you gave me £500.

As for credit for being honest, well great but she's no better than all the owners who take peanuts for their problem horses, just glad to see the back of them, knowing full well they'll only be "straightened out" long enough to make some professional a fair amount of cash before another amateur is landed with the long term problem. Everyone who passes on these sort of screw-ups is a part of a grubby chain of events, involving the horse going from home to home, alternately making a strong rider some cash then scaring, hurting and costing someone money. This isn't a horse fit to be changing hands, for £500 or any amount.
I completely agree. Poor little sod would be better off PTS.

JB7

New User
Visit site
Thanks for all you commments about this advert. I work for Tori. Just to clear up a few points, this horse has had his teeth and his back checked, there is nothing physically wrong with him. He has tack which fits him. He is good to handle and deal with. He is just a little tricky to mount, he get very worried. Once on board he is tense for a while until he realises that everything is ok. He has obviously had a very bad experience in the past. He needs a lot of time spending with him, on a one to one basis, sadly we are a busy yard and just do not have the tme to spend with him. The reason he has been advertised as he is is that Tori is having a few personel problems and will not have the time to spend sorting him out. Prior to this, the plan was to get him going and hopefully event him in Spring. He is a lovely, and the photos and videos do not do him justice. If anyone is actually interested in him, please call as we are very honest about him and would like him to find the right home.

pixie

Visit site
JB7: Thanks for popping by to try set things straight.

BTW: Your little grey tripod pony made friends with the dexter cows, though is still not keen on pheasants! Also, I still don't know how you got your box over that bridge, I hate driving my car through there!

Hippona

Visit site
I like him too.

Nervous worried horses don't bother me....in fact he sounds like he's got less issues than my current horse did when I got him, and he's settled into a lovely confident lad. But then I'm prepared to put however long it takes in, I don't compete and time isn't of the essence.

If I had a spare stable I'd have him.

weebarney

Visit site
I'd have him if he was being given away,I think every horse deserves a second chance in life, they give so much to us humans yet expect so little in return.

HBM1

Visit site
in fairness, they do say this before that paragraph "I have ridden him and there is a video of it on Youtube but by no stretch of the imagination is he ready for someone just to tack him up and hop on".

so if they have said that in the ad, it would not be right for someone to pitch up and ask to ride him at a viewing as they have already said he isn't ready. i think they have been very honest and he is a realistic price for someone who does have the time.

Perhaps they don't have the time as they are a business and it would be too much time taken on one horse. he looks lovely though.

SpruceRI

Visit site
I don't think he moves right for a Welsh D. Far too choppy, and his hinds landing after the fence look a bit uncomfortable.

Reminds me of one of mine that was diagnosed with SI damage, even though she'd had her back checked, saddle checked, teeth done etc etc..... a bone scan was needed to pinpoint the problem.

I know of 2 horses that were sold or given away with mounting issues. One has had one-to-one work and is now fine and out competing, and the other was always a nutter to mount, though once on, was great. He had really bad hock and fetlock conformation and eventually was totally unsound and PTS (was the mounting issue his way of saying 'ouch')

Anyway, I'd want to see a video of, or at least an explanation of what the cob does when you mount and what the sellers have tried to do so far to rectify it.

I do think their advert is rather odd though....

TGM

Visit site
I must say I'm not convinced it is not a physical problem - could be something like kissing spines, which has been missed by many a 'back person'.

Difficult to mount, not shown cantering under saddle, not jumped under saddle, even when lunged over jumps it doesn't canter into or away from the jump plus the choppy stride. All these factors scream pain to me.

My worry would be that someone would buy him thinking it was just a matter of time to get his trust, and then find themselves landed with a very expensive veterinary problem to solve, or the alternative of having to have him PTS to cut their losses.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Thanks for all you commments about this advert. I work for Tori. Just to clear up a few points, this horse has had his teeth and his back checked, there is nothing physically wrong with him. He has tack which fits him. He is good to handle and deal with. He is just a little tricky to mount, he get very worried. Once on board he is tense for a while until he realises that everything is ok. He has obviously had a very bad experience in the past. He needs a lot of time spending with him, on a one to one basis, sadly we are a busy yard and just do not have the tme to spend with him. The reason he has been advertised as he is is that Tori is having a few personel problems and will not have the time to spend sorting him out. Prior to this, the plan was to get him going and hopefully event him in Spring. He is a lovely, and the photos and videos do not do him justice. If anyone is actually interested in him, please call as we are very honest about him and would like him to find the right home.

Glad you came on to post. I thought the advert was fine and smiled at the advertisers attempt to deter unsuitable viewers.
Some horses do need time and the right owner to come good, and hopefully, the right home for this lad will be found. Good luck.

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
This has made me very sad.

The dealer clearly wants him off their hands, they obviously don't feel they can/want to deal with his issues.

The consensus here is don't touch with a barge pole, some even saying they'd need to be paid to have him.

I'm not blaming anyone. But isn't it just terribly sad? :( Whatever has made him the way he is, he's just a horse, he can't help being what he is. :(

A dim future indeed. Poor poor boy.

Only just seen this and haven't read all the replies, but this :(

Poor boy, he can't help the way he moves and perhaps he has been messed up from an early age by a numpty. I really hope he finds a nice home, probably just as a companion but you never know, with time and paitence he might be a nice little horse for someone.

tabithakat64

Visit site
I quite liked him until I saw the video.

I would expect to be able to have a short trial or see him tacked up and lunged and be able to return if he valued a vetting.

I've had a similar sort myself (brought for someone else to ride who then let me down), very talented though.

He had everything check and nothing was found to be wrong with him physically. He needed lunging first and mounting from a block, he was very tense etc when first mounted. We felt it was due to a bad experience whilst being backed.

We sold him from the field for a fraction of what he was worth. But we were happy for people to try him as we wanted the best possible home and this enabled us to weed out anyone who was going to be unsuitable for him.

He went out on trial for two weeks, sailed through a 5 stage vetting and is adored by his new owner who is happy to deal with this quirk.

Last edited:

cptrayes

Visit site
Little fella appears to have a serious toe-first landing problem which current research suggests is likely to cause ddft damage inside the foot if it has not already. I actually think from the video that he may be lame in both front feet, and he would not be the first horse I have seen with that condition which will not stand still to be mounted, in anticipation of pain. And be tense for the first few minutes while the pain wears off, as it does in early cases.

I am NOT suggesting that the seller knows this, but if anyone is thinking of buying I'd make sure you have front flexions done in a 5* vetting.

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
I bought a cob that wouldn't stand still when being mounted. Had his back checked that was fine. He went lame and was diagnosed with ringbone. I did wonder after if he was objecting to bring ridden because it hurt :(