What do you all think of this advert?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
She does say that his problem is mounting.. if you're a bit of a one man band perhaps that one is a bit difficult to resolve on your own.

I still wouldn't pay that for him though he looks cute!

Louby

Visit site
Cant really knock em for getting to the point, buy this horse but you cant try him, screams unrideable nutcase to me, or some major physical issue. Must be bad if someone who does this for a living has thrown in the towel. Shame as he looks a nice sort.

Jesstickle

Visit site
She does say that his problem is mounting.. if you're a bit of a one man band perhaps that one is a bit difficult to resolve on your own.

In my (recent) experience it's nigh on impossible. Hence my mare being sent away to someone with lots of time and help on the ground. She was going to really hurt me other wise!

lula

Visit site
Not a great jump IMO he does not take himself very well to fence and I suspect his ability to jump spreads would be limited .

i noticed this as well. horse has a very choppy trot stride due to its confo and a bit odd the rider doesnt show any canter work at all despite walk and trot on both reins in the vid.

also, what rhino said about buying a lot nicer for the same money.

a problem horse costs just as much to feed as an easy one and i know which id chose.

I appreciate the seller's honesty here but remember, she IS a dealer and liable to be sued if she's not honest about the temperament of the horse she's selling and if she wasnt and it hurt someone she probably knows she'd end up in Court.

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I am getting on to them for advice. I have a 16h maxi that needs to be 15.1hh.

Maybe you just screw on different legs for whatever class you are in ?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
To be frank a ten year old very uninspiring in his video you would have to pay me to take him.

He wasn't that bad! They're being pretty honest really - you're getting something that needs restarting and can't be ridden... I wouldn't put him under the "showjumper" title, but he could do rc stuff easily. For all those saying you could get a lot more for the same money, where? I just searched for a cob up to 15h on that site under £1000 and only seven came up - most of which were unbroken. Only one was under £500.

rhino

Visit site
For all those saying you could get a lot more for the same money, where? I just searched for a cob up to 15h on that site under £1000 and only seven came up - most of which were unbroken. Only one was under £500.

Contacts ;) Unhelpful, but true. I know of one localish breeder (well actually the breeder's widow) who is selling off a number of their stock, 2 - 4 year old wb and tbs (and a few welshies but I've not seen them) for less than £500. Last project through the yard was £250 and a perfectly healthy, straightforward, 14hh nicely marked cob. Bit green, but going beautifully now. Or a nice tb out of racing, or something with decent breeding from a sale. They are out there.

I'd rather buy something ready to break, but unbroken, than something broken badly. All of these would also be open to vet :)

ETA as for the other ad; it's far from unusual for something with an LHC at 148 to appear decidedly bigger ;) :D

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
He wasn't that bad! They're being pretty honest really - you're getting something that needs restarting and can't be ridden... I wouldn't put him under the "showjumper" title, but he could do rc stuff easily. For all those saying you could get a lot more for the same money, where? I just searched for a cob up to 15h on that site under £1000 and only seven came up - most of which were unbroken. Only one was under £500.

It was that bad you seriously would have to pay me a lot more than £500 to give it stable room in fact I would not have it any money a ten yo 15hh you can't get on that has uninspiring nasty choppy paces and limited jump, honestly life is to short.

FionaM12

Visit site
This has made me very sad.

The dealer clearly wants him off their hands, they obviously don't feel they can/want to deal with his issues.

The consensus here is don't touch with a barge pole, some even saying they'd need to be paid to have him.

I'm not blaming anyone. But isn't it just terribly sad? :( Whatever has made him the way he is, he's just a horse, he can't help being what he is. :(

A dim future indeed. Poor poor boy.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
It was that bad you seriously would have to pay me a lot more than £500 to give it stable room in fact I would not have it any money a ten yo 15hh you can't get on that has uninspiring nasty choppy paces and limited jump, honestly life is to short.

I would have missed out on some wonderful horses and ponies over my lifetime if I had had that attitude.

Obviously it would need work and someone who could do it....

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Fiona, thats just the funny thing about H&H. If the same horse was skinny people would be lining up to rescue it and give it time. On another night people will rip it to bits for nothing. It is sad.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's ten you can't get on it it's a size where it could end up in the first horse market you would have to be sooooo careful if you passed it on that it did not ever end up with a child and that's before you consider why it's stride is so choppy and it moves it's hind legs bending its hocks so little.

FionaM12

Visit site
It's ten you can't get on it it's a size where it could end up in the first horse market you would have to be sooooo careful if you passed it on that it did not ever end up with a child and that's before you consider why it's stride is so choppy and it moves it's hind legs bending its hocks so little.

Don't we usually call horses him and her on here? Why is this one an "it"? :(

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Ten isn't old!

Its stride is choppy and stressed as it has issues that need resolving. It would need a complete reschool and given chance to sort it's head out, find out if there are pain related issues (doubt a dealer would have bothered doing checks). Who knows what it could turn into after six months of calm handling and schooling? I've had dreadful things to school in the past that have turned into lovely school horses or kids ponies. I'm not saying you would buy it and transform it overnight and sell it on.. I'm just saying people are being overly negative - its not the best horse in the world, but its not the worst thing either and the ad is not lying about its issues... Don't be so negative.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I wouldn't have it as a gift. Why would you want to risk an injury with that animal when thousands more with better temperaments and outlooks are going to the meat man.

FionaM12

Visit site
Fiona, thats just the funny thing about H&H. If the same horse was skinny people would be lining up to rescue it and give it time. On another night people will rip it to bits for nothing. It is sad.

It's a strange double-standard isn't it? I'm not suggesting people should rescue him, I can't do so myself and don't expect others to. But I do wonder why some threads are full of kindness and compassion to horses, while here there seems a rather cold "It's rubbish, who'd want it?" response from some. :(

I just feel sadness for the poor lad, who can't help what he is. :(

Mind you, I'm the (very :eek:) proud owner of a rubbish horse no-one else would want and I love her to bits! :p

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's a strange double-standard isn't it? I'm not suggesting people should rescue him, I can't do so myself and don't expect others to. But I do wonder why some threads are full of kindness and compassion to horses, while here there seems a rather cold "It's rubbish, who'd want it?" response from some. :(

I just feel sadness for the poor lad, who can't help what he is. :(

Mind you, I'm the (very :eek:) proud owner of a rubbish horse no-one else would want and I love her to bits! :p

I never said it was not sad it's awful but the question was what do you think of the ad it's not that I Don't feel compassion for the horse I do .
I feel compassion for lots of horses but to view as a project you need to be objective .

Last edited:

FionaM12

Visit site
I call my horses it :/ when talking about them or selling them. I guess when I was working selling lots with a dealer then it was easier than getting muddled up and it became the normal

I suppose we all do sometimes. It's just that there's another thread running where the horse is for sale lame and people are saying "Poor, poor boy why can't they do right by him" etc but this lad gets little sympathy and referred to as "it" like he's an object. :(

FionaM12

Visit site
I never said it was not sad it's awful but the question was what do you think of the ad it's not that I feel compassion for the horse I do .
I feel compassion for lots of horses but to view as a project you need to be objective .

You're probably right. I'm tired and emotional. ;) I'm off to bed.