What do you class as too hot

fankino04

Visit site
So start of mini heatwave here and it got me wondering what do you all class as too hot to walk your dogs in? When I had the malamutes I tended to draw the line at being out in anything over 17 degrees with them but they were getting old and obviously very hairy. For the dogs I walk I tend to stop at 24 degrees...

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
with my old collie who had a double coat i have always walked her early in the summer and luckily have shady walks next to the river so she could pop in and out to keep cool. with my little terriers i do similar, i am not good in the heat so i still walk them early but use my judgement about whether i walk in the sunlight and i also dont walk them on pavements in the sun...i dont know what temp i draw the line at i just go by feel..

fankino04

Visit site
with my old collie who had a double coat i have always walked her early in the summer and luckily have shady walks next to the river so she could pop in and out to keep cool. with my little terriers i do similar, i am not good in the heat so i still walk them early but use my judgement about whether i walk in the sunlight and i also dont walk them on pavements in the sun...i dont know what temp i draw the line at i just go by feel..
My guys always just went early and late when it was warm, bit trickier with clients dogs who want them walked between 11.30 and 2.30, today I've done 2 a bit earlier and will go back to the first one later for a toilet break. The rest of today's walks are now toilet break in the garden and sofa cuddles.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Depends on the dog/age/coat/level of mobility/standard of grooming, my older two spent time on the continent and had to be sensibly/gradually conditioned to heat and it will be the same with my young dog, she is getting out for short 10-20 minute sessions/is incapable of self-regulating. The oldies now get left until the late evening and again it's 10-20 minutes each to clean themselves and/or a potter in the garden. I have definitely noticed them start struggling in the heat as they get older. Ironically in their youth the tight coated one always flagged before the very heavy coated one, I imagine it offered more insulation (and I always made sure all the dead undercoat was out).

I hate to see all the old, lame, overweight and ungroomed dogs being dragged hobbling and wheezing around the place as soon as the temperatures rise.

fankino04

Visit site
See I'm with splash girl in that I'd be instructing my dog walker not to walk in the heat but I've just been to a client's house who was at home when he wasn't expected to be and he handed me the dog in her harness to take out, I told him I wasn't walking her due to the heat and he said " oh yeah, it is quite hot, I guess that's sensible" ?

fankino04

Visit site
I cancelled all afternoon dog walking yesterday at 20 degrees. Same for at least the next four or five days.
I'm quite lucky that all of mine are next to small wooded areas or paths with overhanging trees keeping them shaded. I didn't walk the Norwegian buhund yesterday or the very overweight elderly staffy as it didn't seem sensible for them but we were quite overcast here yesterday.

SAujla

Visit site
If it's cloudy then up to 22 degrees is okay, otherwise no chance of walking above 20 on a sunny day. My dog likes to sniff but if I take her out at night with all the new smells she absolutely loves it.

Clodagh

Visit site
Depends on the dog/age/coat/level of mobility/standard of grooming, my older two spent time on the continent and had to be sensibly/gradually conditioned to heat and it will be the same with my young dog, she is getting out for short 10-20 minute sessions/is incapable of self-regulating. The oldies now get left until the late evening and again it's 10-20 minutes each to clean themselves and/or a potter in the garden. I have definitely noticed them start struggling in the heat as they get older. Ironically in their youth the tight coated one always flagged before the very heavy coated one, I imagine it offered more insulation (and I always made sure all the dead undercoat was out).

I hate to see all the old, lame, overweight and ungroomed dogs being dragged hobbling and wheezing around the place as soon as the temperatures rise.

I read somewhere that big coated dogs are cooler if not clipped, so endorsing what you noticed.

Clodagh

Visit site
I've never looked a the temperature so can't tell you really, but I'd guess I would walk the young ones through shady areas up to 25. Smallest has just taken the mobile three for a long walk but it is all woods and river.

tiggipop

Visit site
mine don't get "walked" in anything over 23 degrees.... i am always up and out early so they do get a decent walk 6am but then its only very quick toilet breaks until 10pm

i was planning on taking Vera to another lurcher show on sunday but decided against when temperatures were set to be high, i cant believe that some people are still planning to race the dogs tomorrow... madness in my opinion

fankino04

Visit site
That's the very same guide I had been using for clients dogs lol, up to 24 if fit and healthy and sticking to shaded areas fine, over that definate no and no to a few dogs if over 20 degrees. I think I'm a bit obsessive at looking at the temp reading in my car on the way to each house lol.

BallyJ

Visit site
Mine go out at lunch, when its hot I'll go sit in the shade in one of the fields and they potter in the hedge/pond. Then back in an air-conned office.

They'll be walked before 7.30 in the morning. i tend to see what the dogs moods are, and the dog as ours don't tend to be affected by heat!

Goldenstar

Visit site
In weather like this I leave the doors open and let them lie where ever they choose I filled the dog paddling pool Pearl is having fun with that .
if I was working I would get them out at night .

Odyssey

Visit site
Out in the open, I won't walk my dog over about 18c, 20-21c is the maximum in woods or forest for a short, ploddy walk if he's wearing a cooling coat. It's a few minutes car ride to get there. For the foreseeable future, we'll be going out at 9/9.30pm.

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i got the paddling pool out today, my youngest terrier loves water and has been in and out all day which is lovely except when she dashes in and jumps on my lap smiling

Rokele55

Visit site
Warmer weather, over 21 degrees ish, I walk where there is water. Very hot this afternoon but walked along the beach and the dog was in and out of the sea and pools so fine. Yesterday evening (after 8pm) I did a woodland type walk and she was far too warm. I never walk on tarmac in hot weather, even in the evenings

Annette4

Visit site
Fizz is comfortable and happy up to around 25c but Dobby and Ginny struggle closer to 20c. We don't do many walks anyway and I wouldn't be doing a tarmac walk above 20c.

Clodagh

Visit site
We went early today but was still 23 when we got home. Too hot for me, let alone the dogs. We just walked to the swimming hole and back, about an hour and a half. They will now sleep all day bar pee breaks in the garden.

Moobli

Visit site
I have been getting up at 4.30 and taking mine for a couple of hours before it gets too hot. They are both young, very fit and active dogs. We have water on most of our walks so they can cool off as often as required. I then swim them at lunchtime (I live next to a reservoir) and then we exercise again when it is cooler in the evening. I don't tend to temperature watch so don't have a specific heat I would or wouldn't walk in but it is all about using common sense.

Early walks make for good photo opportunities too.