What do you classify as a "BIG" rider? (I have a complex now)

Andiamo

Visit site
Someone called me a big rider the other day, and said "you're carrying lots of weight", and proceeded to say she was relieved that my saddle was big enough for my bottom, because she finds it annoying when "big" riders squash themselves into small saddles... this was coming from someone who is about 5'3 and 18 stone, and doesn't ride at all. I was (and still am) massively offended, it really upset me.

I am female, 5'8, which is fairly tall, and about a size 14, with a medium sporty build. Definitely not a twig, but definitely not "big". My horse is 16'1, a Spanish horse, very muscley. We are in proportion.

I now have a serious complex, and it's been eating away at me. Firstly I think it was really rude of her to say this, secondly, she doesn't even ride, thirdly she is built like a brick sh**house herself.

Does my size make me a big overweight rider? What is the "right" size for a rider? Not everyone can be twiggy, and a size 6.

I'm sooooooo offended!!!! :(

Nailed

Visit site
I am clased as a big rider.. im 6ft and weigh in at 18 stone.. But I certainly ride a hell of a lot lighter than a lot of people I know.. and the horses dont struggle to carry me so im not loosing any sleep over it.

PS.. I ride a 15.1hh Alter Real Lusitano.. so i think your fine!! lol

Lou x

lincolnlady

Visit site
dont let it upset you im only about 5'4 n a size 14 so you are much slimmer than me im a short ar*e lol. my oh's dad is always making sly digsa about my weight :mad: . we have had a massive falling out over it many times hes such a pig!! (and a fat sod himself but im too polite to retaliate) im soooo paranoid about my weight as it is but i just think ya know what sod you iv got a lovely fella son horse dogs family and friends who love me for me no matter what size i am. so just smile n walk away hun xxx

Jesstickle

Visit site
She's a silly cow, just ignore her. :)

What does she think 6 foot something of fit eventing male weighs? 8 stone? Not likely! Their horses seem to take them round Badminton ok so I think you're probably ok!

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Blimey if she thinks your big I must be huge... im a size 16 and 5'6'' (must start that diet) tell her to s*d off cheeky mare!!

I ride a 15.3 appy stallion and his mum a 16hh appy mare... both cope with my weight with no problems..

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
I'd say you're absolutely fine!

I'm 5'5'' and just under 13 stone (and losing it, must add!)

I ride a 14.2hh Sect D X and she seems to carry me (and be able to prat about majorly :mad::p) just fine.

There's no "right size" for a rider - if you have someone at 16 stone who is a beginner and someone at 16 stone who is an experienced rider - the experienced rider is more likely to be able to ride lighter and know how to carry their weight and balance correctly, as opposed to the beginner who may be bouncing about a bit and be a bit heavier!

K x

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Personally, I regard a lady above maybe 16 stone as a "big" lady and a man above 18stone as a "big" man.

Couldn't care less about their weight so long as they are on an appropriate horse :) and when I say big it means just that, big. It doen't mean anything less or more rude than calling a 7stone rider, slight. :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I think that so long as someone is adequately horsed then anything up to eighteen stone is okay. Much above that though and I think a person is too big to ride. I think that woman was very rude, OP and it sounds as though you are just fine. The only thing I would agree with is that people MUST make sure they have a big enough saddle as sitting against the cantle of a saddle can cause all kinds of back problems for the poor horses!

lexiedhb

Visit site
Tell her to wind her neck in and mind her own bloody business. I currently ride a 14 ishhh Cob at 15 and a bit stone. She goes better for me than anyone else who rides her, and they are all lighter.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Someone called me a big rider the other day, and said "you're carrying lots of weight", and proceeded to say she was relieved that my saddle was big enough for my bottom, because she finds it annoying when "big" riders squash themselves into small saddles... this was coming from someone who is about 5'3 and 18 stone, and doesn't ride at all. I was (and still am) massively offended, it really upset me.

I am female, 5'8, which is fairly tall, and about a size 14, with a medium sporty build. Definitely not a twig, but definitely not "big". My horse is 16'1, a Spanish horse, very muscley. We are in proportion.

I now have a serious complex, and it's been eating away at me. Firstly I think it was really rude of her to say this, secondly, she doesn't even ride, thirdly she is built like a brick sh**house herself.

Does my size make me a big overweight rider? What is the "right" size for a rider? Not everyone can be twiggy, and a size 6.

I'm sooooooo offended!!!! :(

Forget it............then when the opportunity arises, maybe when the rude lady is holding a gate open on a muddy hunting day, just gallop through and cover the silly xxxx in xxxxxx. Revenge is so much sweeter served cold !

Rise above it, don't be offended you are better than that.

ladyt25

Visit site
I agree with wagtail. I do think there are a few riders out there who are too hefty for the horses they ride - just because they CAN ride, doesn't mean they always should, or at least they should rethink what sort of horse they are riding!

I have seen on numerous occasions some rather overweight and, in addition, unbalanced riders on spindl-bred types heading off x-country. Not only do I feel this is a big ask, what makes it worse is said rider more often than not, sits for the entire course (as they are too heavy/too unfit to raise their backside out of the saddle!) and wonder why their poor horse is struggling or ends up refusing to jump!

I am not twig by any means and have lost nearly a stone from when i was my heaviest (5'6") and 11.10stone. I am now under 10 stone and I wonder how on earth I was so heavy before and feel sorry for my horse having to carry me back then. Still, he's a decent build and I was no way as heavy as some riders I see today!

Andiamo

Visit site
yeah, I thought it was incredibly rude. It's the sort of thing that one might think....but not say.... there were a lot of other inappropriate comments and she royally pee'd me off, but this is the one that keeps coming back in my mind and bothering me...

My scales only show KG, I just did a conversion, I am 11 and a half stone. I didn't think I was so big, obviously I am not a waif. But I didn't think I was a fattie, and don't have shedloads of my backside fat spilling over the sides of the saddle...that's kind of how she made it sound :( I am fairly muscular, have always been sporty / in good shape....I do admit to having a bit of a chocolate-induced jelly belly...but I am balanced in the saddle, I ride with a deep seat, but ride lightly and sympathetically.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I'm a heavy rider, I'm 11stone currently and I know I ride heavier sometimes. I think people are too quick to pass unkind comments without thinking them through.
Also it really depends on how someome carries their weight. I have a scrawny top half but a massive arse :) that's got to be a bit better than a heavy top half? Maybe :D

Visit site
Im 5'6 a size 14/16 and quite big up top. I ride everythin from a 13.2(naughty) arab cross to 17.2 eventers. Its not all about weight but how you use your body ive seen 8st twig make things really hard for their ponies cos they are unbalances and all over the pace and I seen BIG ladies take there TB crosses hunting all day and the horses have had a great time because they use there body to allow the horse to move.

Maybe she should get her Fat Bum in a saddle and then she can cast an opioion.!

blood_magik

Visit site
oh sweetie, 11.5 stone isnt really big..
sure it's bigger than some people, but it's not massive enough to be causing your horse problems.

I'm sure your vet/physio/instructor would have said something if that was the case anyways..

enhoy yourself and ignore her - maybe she's jealous?

blood_magik

Visit site
can't edit on my phone :mad:

if you're 'too big' for your 16.1 horse at 11.5 stone, then I should stop riding immediately until I lose another stone and a half ;)

my horse is happy carrying me but I'll lose the extra weight anyways to help him.

SNORKEY

Visit site
Wow, what a rude woman, your not big at all! I would of told her to have a good look at her self.
When I worked on a yard some years ago, the head boy was about 6'6 and at least 20 stone! he only rode his 18hh hunter.But was a very good rider who carried him self.

A 10 stone person can be a much heavier rider than someone who's 13stone but carries them selves well instead of bouncing on the horses back.

Newlands

Visit site
What a cheeky mare, she is probably just jealous!! I am a similar size/height to you and my boy is 16.1 as well he is a maxi cob and I think we are a good match size wise together. He certainly doesn't have a problem tanking off with me and jumping anything he pleases. That comment would really upset me too so I don't blame you for being upset but as others have said rise above it after all it doesn't sound as if she is one to be making such commments.

Suziq77

Visit site
I expect she's just jealous that you're tall and have a lovely horse! That doesn't sound "big" at all, some people really should just shut up - if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all and all that :rolleyes:

Littlelegs

Visit site
How rude, think I would have replied with personal comments about her.
As for big, my friend is 5'10 & a size 14 & I was shocked she ways as much as 13 stone, definitely wouldn't class her as a big rider. By comparison i'm 5'10 & look like a poster for an eating disorder at anything under 9.5 stone.
I'd only think of someone as big if there horse is not up to their weight, which would apply to 6 stone on a miniature! Rude bag is probably just jealous.

Amy567

Visit site
Ignore the woman! When I had my wonderful mare, I was 5'7", 11 and half stone, she's 15.2hh TB, very light build, and she managed to carry me over 1m30. I think you're fine :)

Ashleigh_

Visit site
I'm 5"8 with a slim build, not sure how much I weight exactly as I don't own any scales but the doctors recently said it was pretty spot on for my height.

HOWEVER, being an inexperienced rider, I can promise my seat will not be as light as a more experienced rider, even if they were heavier than me. I find it hard to sit in canter for instance, I feel like i'm blobbling all over his back. Poor boy, i'm hardly an easy passenger! Some riders that are bigger than me look like their bum is glued! Their position, softness of their hands everything, I know who i'd prefer to carry!

Another point, just in terms of general fitness. Although i'm relatively toned (I assume from riding/mucking out as it's the only exercise I do) I lead a hugely unhealthy lifestyle. I smoke, my diet is appalling and I frequently order out pizza or chinese/curry/kebab. In comparison, one of my friends is a size 12-14 and is way shorter than me. She's an amazing cook, eats beautiful healthy food, doesn't smoke and frequently joins in on those charity runs, some of which i'd never ever be fit enough to finish, let alone get half way!

Sorry to go off topic, but fitness and health are so subjective when people discuss weight. She had no right to say that to you and you honestly sound like a great match with your horse. Enjoy your riding :)

Visit site
I am 5ft 5 and 12 stone and have been worrying about being too heavy for my cob. He is 15.3 with legs like treetrunks and a build to match, The vet said 12 stone was the maximum weight for him ! Also you need to factor in the weight of the tack which in my case is about another stone. However, I know I am not a "light" rider as im incredibly stiff.Doesnt seem to bother cob at all.
I dont think you are too big ignore the remarks,

CatStew

Visit site
How rude!! That would have really upset me too. Just ignore the silly hypocritical cow!

I'd class myself as a 'bigger then average' rider. I'm 5'9, size 12/14 and weigh around 13st. My 4yo sec D is currently 15.1, although I'm expecting him to make 15.3 and my 12yo arab x (whom I share with my mum) is 14.3 - it's her in my avatar, and I've gone down a dress size since that pic was taken last July.

As I said ignore the stupid bint. Empty vessels make the most noise and all that!!!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Looking at this another way, the lady in question said you were a Big rider, not a Fat or heavy rider. WFP is a big rider even for a block but he sure isn't fat.
The problem is people tend to say big when they should say fat, thus when the word big is used people just assume they mean fat.
The lady in question mya not have meant you were fat, simply bigger than the average.

Amy567

Visit site
Looking at this another way, the lady in question said you were a Big rider, not a Fat or heavy rider. WFP is a big rider even for a block but he sure isn't fat.
The problem is people tend to say big when they should say fat, thus when the word big is used people just assume they mean fat.
The lady in question mya not have meant you were fat, simply bigger than the average.

The lady did say "you're carrying lots of weight" which to me would mean fat, though I really don't think she is :)

Andiamo

Visit site
Thanks everyone, you've all been really supportive. Celery sticks and Diet Coke for all of you... (my new diet ;))

Just before she made the comments, she'd been telling me how to ride my horse, which really wound me up - because she doesn't even ride - and is obviously not an International Grand Prix trainer & rider. I had gotten very pee'd off. Out of politeness and good humour, I had tried to do what she told me, but it caused my horse's behavioral issues to escalate - he started napping, he stopped and was running backwards and threatening to rear /bronc...and it undid all the excellent work we'd done the day before in an £80 lesson with an International GP rider. She just kept after me, wandering around the school after me, annoying me, and I couldn't work my horse properly because she was in the way, and she kept waffling about utter nonsense and telling me I was doing everything wrong. I got so annoyed, I jumped off him, and went to get my lunge gear, I thought if she won't get out of the way and won't shut up, then I will just lunge him - because he needed to do some work (he is a sharp, energetic, anxious type and he needs daily work to keep him sane). Running her over would have been the other option, but I wasn't sure if I was covered for 3rd party liability on my insurance....and inconveniently didn't have the policy document with me.

It was when I finished lungeing that she made the comments about me being a big rider carrying lots of extra weight, and said "thank goodness your saddle is big enough for you...I hate to see big riders squash themselves into saddles that are too small". It's a 17.5 inch saddle, same as nearly everyone elses!!!!

I am very serious about my training and about my riding, and I am happy to pay for the professionals, and I do so on a weekly basis with top International trainers. I don't appreciate someone who doesn't even ride telling me what to do, especially when they're built like a s*** brickhouse and don't even ride horses!!! I was very obviously pee'd off, and it might have hurt her ego (as she thinks she knows everything)...so maybe that's the reason for the nasty comments...

Rant over...ahhhhhh....feels better!! :)

WeedySeaDragon

Visit site
Try not to let it get you, although I know that can be very hard.

I'm constantly worrying about my weight for riding, it's gone up and down a lot in the past few years from 16st at my heaviest to just under 8st at my lightest. I'm 5'10" and I must say I was far healthier and more capable of riding at my highest weight than I was at my lowest, at under 8st I was pretty much dying and couldn't do much of anything.

These days I seem to be pretty stable at around 12-12.5st. Sometimes I feel like I must be way too heavy, especially when I'm over the limit of a couple of local riding schools. My perspective is slightly skewed as my husband is tiny (only 5'6" and very slim) and only weighs about 10st at his absolute maximum. It's easy to forget that most fit and healthy men of average height are probably going to weigh somewhere around the 12st+ mark easily.

Weight seems to have become such an emotive subject in recent years where horses are involved. I think we'd all be a lot happier if we listened to the horses and not other people!!

Andiamo

Visit site