What do you do for a living?

TicTac

Visit site
I have to work to support my lifestyle, the biggest part being my horses. I was recently made redundant from a job I could have stayed at for many years but fortunately found another, trouble is I really dislike it. I am a finance assistant for a big multi national company and it is a miserable place to be in. I am on the look out for another position but will stick at it until such time as I am offered something better.

If I didn't have to work I would be happy to do volantry work to help other people in some way. i.e riding for the disabled or less fortunate people in general.

What jobs do you folks out there do to support your horses?

katie_southwest

Visit site
I sit on a reception desk at a hotel, generally being spoken to like crap and paid next to nothing...but it keeps my horse and dog so it will do for the minute!

Kal

Visit site
I design railway alignments (tracks)
smile.gif

ClareHasler

Visit site
I am a P.A. to the M.D. & the Company Secretary who own an Asbestos removal company. Hate it!!! Can be soooo boring, get C**p of the teams of men when bosses aren't around, hate sitting in an office, would much rather go back to working with horses again but just cannot earn the money to pay mortgage, have cars, motorbikes, horsebox oh and of course 2 lovely horses & dogs. On the bright side though i do get paid v well and my hobby is now just that and not my job as well!!!

Pink_Pampas

Visit site
I work in pharmaceutical drug development - a multinational that treat people like cr*p. Surrounded by bitchy people and desperately trying to find a new job....

Fransurrey

Visit site
Biochemist, working in Drug Discovery for a major Cancer Research organisation. Pays pretty well, but there's no such thing as 9 to 5 in science! Nice people though, unlike poor Pink_Pampas' place!

Madasmaz

Visit site
Hmm...I'm a microbiologist working in IT...microbiology research not well enough to keep a horse. Seems nearly everyone hates their jobs...and there are days when I really hate mine, mostly when my advice is ignored and then weeks later is proven right, but the company has by that time paid tens of thousands to a consultant to try and get the answer they want...wish they woudl just give me the monay and have done with it...oh yes...the people tha ignore me all have one thing in common....MALE!

Rana

Visit site
Sales Admin for an organic food company. Boring, but 5 mins walk from home and a true 9-5 job so I have time to look after horsey. Doesn't pay brilliantly, but I save in fuel and livery costs.

Most days I quite like it...especially quiet days when I just spend all my time on here lol.

SO1

Visit site
I am a manager for a children's charity pays over 30k and I normally like my job but would be nicer if worked nearer to the yard but can't have everything can you!

devilinajar

Visit site
I work as a receptionist for a plastic producing company, so not exciting at all and spend most of my bored. Luckly i dont have my own horse as i would never afford to look after one on my wage. Soooooo looking for a new job in field sales!!!!

RachelB

Visit site
I've just finished my degree and am working part-time with horses until I manage to secure a full-time job. I'm mostly trying to get into science; I've just had an interview for a laboratory technician job that I'd reeeeally love, and hopefully if I get that I can take it from there and make it my career. If I didn't need a decent salary I'd stay with horses, I do love my job despite it being stressful at times!
As for supporting my horse... my mum pays for half of her anyway! *spoilt alert*
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

miller

Visit site
I'm the one with the most hated job in the world - work in Telecoms building call centre applications for a major Foreign Exchange company (press 1 for this, 2 for that etc) - actually I support anything telecoms related but I absolutely hate it (well the company I work for)

Looking for something else but need to earn the same money (decent ish) so I can pay mortgage etc

Don't talk about Bank Holidays, I'm on call for it (24hr/7 days) for the next 2.5 weeks and have to come in for some scheduled maintenance at 01:00am on sunday morning
mad.gif

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
I am a wedding photographer. In the past I have run a livery yard, been a equine operating theatre nurse and been PA to the Manager of a large Racecourse. This is it though I think - I love it!

ladyt25

Visit site
I'm an insurance underwriter insuring horses - oops nearly nodded off then just thinking 'insurance'! hehe

Been here FAR too long and desperate to get out - need some more variety not to mention better money. Don't want to work with horses directly (am allergic to them!) but ideally would like to find a nice rich man so i don't have to work and then I can indulge in my riding hobby!
grin.gif

OR alternatively a lottery win would be nice......!
laugh.gif

ajn1610

Visit site
I am a Secondary Science Teacher which I do enjoy, I'm certainly never bored or clock watching. It is a good compromise of a decent enough wage to keep the horses but still leaving me enough time to enjoy them - gotta love these long summer holidays, only two weeks left though BOO!

KAL - Designing railway tracks?? I love the things people do for a living, when you are little it's like I want to be a Fireman or whatever but there are sooo many jobs you never even know exist. That goes down as one of my favourites!

fattymare

Visit site
I am an Account Manager for a concierge company looking after airlines and travel companies. It pays to keep my neddy and 2 dogs. I did work in the equine magazine industry but the pay was dire! Had to leave to keep the animals in food and clothing!!!
grin.gif

KimYoung

Visit site
I am now a sewcondary school teacher (scence).

Love my job this time of year!!! I have spent the whoe summer riding for people and teaching riding. I spent 10 years grooming/instructor and ended up as a yard manager for large(ish) riding centre but could not make enough money to support me and my son...so went and did a sensible degree instead of the equine science i would have loved to do.

On the whole I love my job...you cant really teach teenagers unless you do.....but would give it up in a heart beat if they would pay me what they pay e know to teach riding

Cop-Pop

Visit site
I do tech support - people shout at me all day because they're too dumb to work their computer
frown.gif
I'm looking for a new job but this one is only 5 mins from the yard.

Silverspring

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I am now a sewcondary school teacher (scence).

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG I hope my kids never get taught by you with that spelling!

ETS: I'm a tax advisor, I get paid to be a pain in the arse!

Geraldine

Visit site
I work for an Independant Mobile Phone Dealer but currently at home with Anya (she is 7 months on Tuesday - eeek!!!). We handle Corporate accounts, we're not retail so I don't have to be F2F with the numpties that frequent the stores!!

I really like my job, 99% of the customers are brill and the 1% that are @rses I ignore as I recognise their numbers on the phone LCD!!!
laugh.gif

I am currently trying to decide whether to return or not in October. Am thinking not but am worried about money. OH says we can afford for me not to go back but I'm a bit wobbly about it all.
confused.gif
confused.gif

Leg_end

Visit site
I work in IT security. I love it
smile.gif
Keeps me entertained, pays well and is a 4 mile round trip from home to horse!!! Cant get better than that
wink.gif

josephinebutter2

Visit site
I work in insurance at the moment - wouldn's say I love it as such, but the money is fairly good, I get on well with everyone (except one bitch who no-one likes - not even the boss!) and I generally leave the office at 4.30 so musn't complain!

But my company is moving to Kent, so am taking the opportunity to look around and see what else there is in the world I might be good at... and get paid for. Many have suggested prostitution, but I don't think I would get enough work!

Am also contemplating working with horses again - used to work in a big equestrian centre and have my AI - not sure if I am mad, but if the right job came up where I could live in with my horse and get some decent training, I think I could handle the long hours and s**t shovelling again!

nikkiportia

Visit site
I'm deputy on a TB Stud farm.
Am I the only one on here who actually works with neddies? LOL, or is it that I'm the only one who manages to get to a computer during the day?
wink.gif
(I live on stud and go home for lunch
grin.gif
)