what do you do when it's raining?

JenTaz

Visit site
i do the same as i do in the winter, long waterproof jacket, waterproof chaps, and taz gets on his excersise sheet, i cant depend on the weather to when i ride, thats just crazy he needs to be kept fit, and he loves the rain, enjoys jumping all the puddles the rain makes

ladyt25

Visit site
I am definitely a fair weather rider! Lol. I don't mind so much if I am out and get caught in the rain but to go out when it is already belting down? Nah, I'll stay in thanks! It's no fun for me or the horse really is it. Although, light rain is ok if no wind, it's the wind that makes it worse. We're the same as most though, not seen any proper rain for a while here, the ground's pretty concrete at the moment.

Fiorano

Visit site
Rain? Oh yes I remember that stuff :)

When we do get some, I will just ride in it. My thoughts are, if it rained at a competition and I'd paid my entry fee, I would bloody well be riding then...hahahahaha

I suppose I'm lucky though, my pony doesn't mind the rain or wind so we ride in all weathers. :)

Visit site
If we ever see any again I will go out in my birthday suit and run screaming down the road.

(People will now be worriedly posting asking me where I am so they can be sure they are not subjected to this sight)

blood_magik

Visit site
Well I thought I was going to get away with hacking without getting wet, but no :rolleyes:
on the plus side, it cooled the two of us down after our mad canter-turned-oh-god-i-have-no-brakes :D

I will have a good talk with the nasty black clouds and send them down south. glasgow has had enough for now although its very welcome to come back on wednesday as I can't ride due to nightshift :p

Last edited:

Kadastorm

Visit site
Please send us some rain! we have had a teeny amount overnight once, maybe twice, in god knows how long...
And i ride when it rains, just not when its windy aswell as raining.
I tend to organise and clean stuff when i cant ride. Like going through bedding and relaying it all neat, organising rugs, cleaning the feedroom and cleaning boots/bandages and tack etc

Jingleballs

Visit site
It's been miserable here all week - heavy rain and high winds and I've ridden in it every day. If I didn't ride in the rain I'd barely ever get a chance to ride.

I can't be faffed with waterproofs etc when riding so usually take a change of clothes or try to get home quickly afterwards to change and dry out.

BonneMaman

Visit site
I've forgotten what the stuff looks like! Oh to have some wet stuff here! Looks like we might be buying all our hay from somewhere up where you lot are!

noodle_

Visit site
man upppp!!!!!! the lot of you!! :D

i have a waterproof jacket - and thats it! normally wear trackies and the horse has no exercise sheet - she wont melt and i wont melt either!!!

so we are drenched after but so what??? better than not riding!!!

blood_magik

Visit site
man upppp!!!!!! the lot of you!! :D

haha that's what my dad said to me :rolleyes:
I had to point out to him that they only get rain 3-4 days a year (compared to the 165 days worth of rain we get on average) where he lives so it's not an issue for him ;)

Remind me why I chose to move to scotland? :p

noodle_

Visit site
haha that's what my dad said to me :rolleyes:
I had to point out to him that they only get rain 3-4 days a year (compared to the 165 days worth of rain we get on average) where he lives so it's not an issue for him ;)

Remind me why I chose to move to scotland? :p

haha - i use that saying a lot - mostly to the horse as she hates rain!! she kicks and squeels in the field when being led in....(consists of "man up you useless lump"...... lol :D

being ridden shes just as stupid but she needs to get used to it... i cant withdraw from dressage cause its raining :D

MaisieMooandCometToo

Visit site
As we're confined to the indoor school in the winter weekday evenings I take every oppertunity to compete, hack and use the outdoor school whatever the weather!! Sometimes I think it borders on dangerous, the mountain tops had turned into lakes when I did the Red Dragon endurance in torrential rain last year!!

only_me

Visit site
I ride in the rain, although not if its coming sideways, unless I have to (fitness work etc.)

I ride in all weathers mind, as chances are I will be competing in all weathers :)

I live in Ireland mind, so as an example, todays weather has been stifling hot followed by torrential downpour, then more hot windy weather followed by torrential rain...

Last edited:

Stacey6897

Visit site
I live on Dartmoor - if I didn't ride in the rain I wouldn't ride (saying that we've not had rain for months) but when it starts it never knows when to stop again! - last year I think it rained solidly from beginning of June through to September. :eek:
Thank you Musto for producing waterproofs that actually are

Dartmoor seems to have it's own special climate! Saw more different types of rain in the first few weeks of living there than ever in my life, it usually went sideways, I once got caught on the side of a hill in a rain shower that was travelling upwards!

I've now moved to a more temperate area and sometimes I don't know it's raining until someone tells me!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
We ride out in anything as long as visability is good enough and there's no ice.
Thunder and lightening, storms,sleet, strong winds etc. The 4 year old needs to be exposed to everything and the older ones aren't precious about getting wet.
Did have one who objected to hail stones or torrential rain though. fair enough if we got caught when we were out, she'd get her head down and plough on, but if I tacked her up and asked to leave in it, she'd let me know that she thought I was completely mad in such a funny way that I'd generally wait in the stable with her til the worst of the weather had passed.

CarolineJ

Visit site
Just rain, I'll ride in. Rain plus gale force winds I chicken out! We're due 80mph winds up here later, it hit 60mph last night - off to check I still have all my roof tiles as we barely slept last night due to the rattling.

Kat

Visit site
I ride anyway, we have an indoor school but tend to only go in there after dark.

I got very wet in a potential downpour yesterday, will have to dig out my waterproof trousers. But my lightweight goretex jacket proved to me once again that it is worth more than its weight in gold.

The key is to buy decent wet weather gear, many horsey brands are useless, buy stuff made for hiking or cycling instead it is often much more up to date. My coat is a berghaus one from an outdoor shop and will keep all rain out no matter how heavy all day. For the same money a lot of horsey ones are only shower proof, or they aren't breathable so you get all sweaty.

Buy products made from goretex and stay dry.

0ldmare

Visit site
I can't remember, its been so long :( I *think* I put on a waterproof top called something like a jacket (excuse me if I have the terminology wrong but my memory has faded with time :D

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I don't mind riding in light rain but I draw the line when it's blowing a hooley and the rain is horizontal

Me too.

I will ride in almost any weather - but not to the point of putting myself or horse in danger.

Apart from that though, if it's just plain old fashioned rain - watherproof's and off we go.

BlueCakes

Visit site
I probably wouldn't ride in the rain unless I had no choice. I used to ride everyday regardless of weather, but that was because I was learning to ride, my horse didnt mind and we used to kind of plod round and have fun.

I know with my boy now he wouldn't be concentrating in the rain. He hates getting wet so it would be a waste of time if I were trying to school.

If you're not going to enjoy it, then don't do it, but if you really wanna ride just go ahead and do it. x

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I've lost so many days to either broken me or broken horse that I now ride in just about any weather!

* looks up at sky and contemplates when she'll be able to ride again (due to nasty kick on foreleg just over a week ago)*

JustMe22

Visit site
I don't ride in rain :D
Live in South Africa, so because it doesn't rain much, it's no big deal. When it does rain though, it pours down in biblical proportions along with massive amounts of thunder and lightning, but usually only in late afternoon/evening and only in summer - winter is dry.

So, solution is to ride early, or just forget it if the sky goes dark, and ride the following day. :)