What do you do with your Hackneys/hackney crosses?

almrc

Visit site
I have a hackney x, he is stunning and has very good breeding. He *should* be doing showing or such, but due to some previous issues, I have been rehabillitating him, hence we are currently hacking. However, he has a nice jump and would also be good at indurance-so my friend says!!

Toffee44

Visit site
I have a 8yo 14.1hh Hackney x Welsh.

Was bought at auction as broodmare prev ride and drive, bought for me as a project.

Currently re breaking her. She now walks and trots and canters under saddle. Has prooved to be quite a bombproof hack and never strong but strong willed and sharp. Have decided not to drive her now as shes showing to be fab riding horse and want to concentrate on that. And I found out today she has a cracking jump on her, lunged her over 1ft 6 and then finished on 2ft 6" v v happy with her.

Bit spooky over silly things, like rug going on even though I do it every day :D

Planning to do some low level dressage and maybe SJ but most of all have fun and enjoy her. Shes turning into one of the most honest little horses I know. Shes now staying put with me :D Sorry now need to post pictures :D

2010JunFri11SarahNewHorseDV2D83571DMarkIV.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

IMAG0266.jpg

Last edited:

daydreambeliever

Visit site
I have a 15.2hh hackney x cob gelding, he has the white patch on his tummy too. Toffee44 who is the sire of your mare?

My boy is a very amenable chap and keen to please. Our schooling needs lots of work but he is a fab hack and wont bat an eye at the heaviest of traffic, but will spook at odd things like a sawn off tree trunk that we pass everyday, unless there was a tractor comming then he would be good.

He has a great character and is my horse in a million... I love him loads :D

Sorry i cant post a pic but i have not worked out how and kids in bed so cant get any help from them :(

Toffee44

Visit site
No idea, shes from gypysies and then the market auction. Some one said they think some one called Mr Haydon (from london way) used to breed hackneys with this mark. But I have seen a few Welsh x's a the market and where I picked her up from with the same marking as her and four white socks. Although Samba was market as a Welsh Sec D (unreg) lol but I think defo hackney X welsh. Well I think shes stunning :D

Miss-rose

Visit site
They used to breed purebred hackneys at the farm they are fab. They had a stallion called hurtswood Romeo and he was so sweet. They have 2 hackney colts and a couple of hackney x's . Will try and find some pics if I have any. They are soo independent by the time they are a couple of weeks old they only go near their mums when their hungry the rest of the time their off investigating.

peanut

Visit site
A friend of mine has a hackney x tb. A fab little horse who can turn her hoof to anything - especially nippy at the xc :)

fallenangel123

Visit site
My mare is a hackney X, she came from WHW 13 years ago as a very spazy five year old. She is now a very spazy 18 year old! We have done pleasure rides, novice dressage and hack anywhere although she never quite mastered the co ordination required for jumping.(Seriously you can keep her in the field by placing a pole on the floor!!) I adore her utterly, she had an awful time before I got her and can be quirky about weird things, but although not the most talented is one of the nicest people I know.

She also has the white tummy patch too!!

Last edited:

almrc

Visit site
WOW!Hurstwood romeo is stunning - I can see where my boy gets it from. Thank you for posting that, really appreciate it.

There are lots on here with the white tummy patch! Pics please :)

natalia

Visit site
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZp-shdSJhQ

video above is possibly my favourite ever horse! he's a 148 cm hackney x and this was him and me as a 4 yr old. He's very green here! He's now pursuing an affiliated jumping career but I would have him back in a heartbeat, even if he couldn't be ridden. He was the biggest hearted most generous horse I've ever had and not a day goes by where I don't regret selling him (he had to go though as wasn't making the horse strides BSJA and seemed unfair to not let him do what he loved and was an out and out SJ pony, was great XC but could never be hunted as was a loon in company which I also love to do).

Minnies_Mum

Visit site
This is mine (well, not mine but I've ridden him for 12 years now). He's a trekking pony, but he's the best horse I've ever ridden and I trust him completely. We generally go cantering about the countryside, but I can lead novices from him (just about!), he opens and shuts gates, stands at the side of A roads and railways, goes through water and is still as strong and feisty as ever. He's about 23 now and I haven't ridden him for a couple of months because he's been lame, but hopefully I'll be back on board soon.

Copper-1.jpg

sue12345

Visit site
I have a section D x Hackney.15hh Chestnut gelding of 23 years.. Is retired now but has done alot, from lead rein to hunting but loved jumping. He's so loving and a perfect gentleman.

City Mare

Visit site
I share a hackney cross - 15.3 He has such personality!
When he goes into a fast trot he always makes me laugh - he has so much gusto and his knees come right up!
He is such a nosy parker and he always has his eye on me as well, his eyeball is right in the corner to check I am still there - or perhaps hoping i am not still there perhaps?!
But I have to look out for him as he doesn't look at where he is going (unless, of course it's an open space), so one eye on the ground and the other ahead :)

Toffee44

Visit site
This is mine (well, not mine but I've ridden him for 12 years now). He's a trekking pony, but he's the best horse I've ever ridden and I trust him completely. We generally go cantering about the countryside, but I can lead novices from him (just about!), he opens and shuts gates, stands at the side of A roads and railways, goes through water and is still as strong and feisty as ever. He's about 23 now and I haven't ridden him for a couple of months because he's been lame, but hopefully I'll be back on board soon.

Copper-1.jpg

Hes sooo gorgeous, I dont think Samba will grow a coat like that, shes grown like a mm from the summer hahaha. Shes not cold though, just no coat on her.

That video slightly worries me, thats how she is jumping on the lunge which means I may just have to re learn to jump a springy pony hehehehe *watch this space*