What do you feed your dogs?

Milanesa

Visit site
Hey All,

In terms of everyday dog foods, what do you all feed your doggies? I tend to feed some mixer type with a wet pouch, does anyone have any specfic dog foods they would reccomend, preferably the more natural the better no?

Mine seems to like bakers complete rather than pedigree etc...but there don't seem to be many bakers lovers on here!!??

BBH

Visit site
Mine both have JWB and look really well on it.

They also have something with it like salmon steaks, oily fish or lean meat.

KarynK

Visit site
Mine seems to like bakers complete rather than pedigree etc...but there don't seem to be many bakers lovers on here!!??

I expect they do like it it's the doggie equivalent of turkey twizzlers and chips, only there is probably less meat and more sugar in Bakers, not to mention the artificial ingredients!

Mine are on as Natural as I can get raw meat and bones.

Spudlet

Visit site
Henry is on Skinners Field and Trial. Sometimes he gets an egg cracked over it, or sardines with it or something like that, and after he's been working I add some warm gravy to it:)

Luci07

Visit site
JWB senior light for the older bitch, JD hills for joint/mobility for the younger (although had a bad press on here which I couldn't get to the bottom of - it is working for my dog). Mixed with either nature diet or pouch meat. Daily dental chews, weekly lamb bones (boiled), also now cod liver oil for both. Given 2 small feeds a day which I stand over to make sure they do not swap - JD Hills is horrendously expensive!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site

And no wonder!

From Bakers' review

"We note that BHA, BHT and propyl gallate are chemical preservatives. The first two are known to be carcinogenic and have been banned from use in human foods in most countries for around 50 years."

My pups are fed raw and the big dog is back on Orijen after turning his nose up at the more icky raw stuff!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Another raw feeder, chicken carcasses and pieces, lamb and pork ribs, pheasants, partridge, hearts, tripe, small bits of offal, beef marrowbones, fish (tinned, fresh and 99% pure salmon pouches from Fish4Dogs) and leftover vegetables.

Today she has also eaten a mouse and a tangerine. :eek:

I switched from a commercial diet (Royal Canin) because she has a wheat allergy and sensitivity to other grains also. Fish4Dogs is the only commercial one she can tolerate.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
She catches her own meeses, of course! :D

I hope it was the little bugger who has chewed through the lining of my skull cap, I've been after him for weeks. :mad:

I have no excuses for the tangerine, she just really likes them. :eek:

Shutterbug

Visit site
She catches her own meeses, of course! :D

I hope it was the little bugger who has chewed through the lining of my skull cap, I've been after him for weeks. :mad:

I have no excuses for the tangerine, she just really likes them. :eek:

Im afraid Korben will never be fast enough to beat my cats at catching meeses :D he has some pretty stiff competition there lol

We gave him a slice of orange at Xmas and he spent half an hour pushing it round with his nose and barking at it before he decided he could eat it :D

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
My terriers are very hard done by, they get Chappie with a mixer, sometimes fish or chicken scraps from our plates. Tin of Sardines for a treat. Tried various dry feeds but coats lost their shine and a lot seem too high in protein for them.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Mine have Skinners Field & Trial Duck & Rice some days, and raw (chicken wings, turkey legs, hearts) on others. Evie has more raw days than commercial feed, Buffy more commercial because she doesn't digest raw very well and as she is a bit of an old wreck I don't want to upset her system.

SavingGrace

Visit site
I feed Dr Johns to my lad and he gets any meat leftovers (although he did help himself to a full turkey dinner on christmas day so mummy was left with christmas pudding and christmas cake :mad:)

He is an ex poundie though was 3ish when we got him so go knows what he has been fed in the past he has clearly been spoilt rotten though because he in the kitchen before you get fully off the chair with your plate in the hope there might be a bit chicken or beef :rolleyes::)

The Twilight Zone

Visit site
I feed Islay Skinners Duck & Rice - she lost a lot of condition when I put her on raw, and couldnt cope with the bones as she has no teeth. She is back to looking great now :)

Flick and Amy have raw - mainly chicken portions/Duck/minced tripe :)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
At the moment, B is on Wainwrights senior salmon and potato with raw days (he is three :p) and wee sis is on Red Mills Racer (and she isn't a greyhound).

Bloody dogs!!!

Re Bakers, kids like McDonalds, but it doesn't mean you feed it to them every day.

mystiandsunny

Visit site
Our JRT gets meat and veg - we cook extra from what we're having. Sometimes a bit of rice too. It's cheap for us (meat is free due to OH's job), her coat's shiny, she's the right weight and full of energy. We also have Burns complete dog food in a bowl down all the time for her - she only eats this if she's really hungry and it's handy if she's had a particularly mad day running around and dinner just isn't enough.

Taffyhorse

Visit site
Ours has Burns Chicken and Rice which he seems well on. However have just spotted an offer on VetUK for Arden Grange which I'd really like to try..

Also has Sardines, eggs, meat/veg leftovers and paddywhack/pigs ears when we are out. Occasionally has a raw meaty bone too (in which case he doesn't get any dry food).