what do you feed your lactating mares?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Salty has been on a stud balancer since the last trimester, kept a decent condition with ad lib haylage in the field on rubbish grass. now they have access to good grass in the maternity paddock she's doing really very well. Foal is 5 weeks old and clearly getting plenty from her, she looks well and has lots of energy. I am conscious that I don't want the mare to get too fat (on the chubby side now as she's always a good doer) nor for the foal to grow too fast, OH thought she had shot up recently when he popped by yesterday so it's on the radar.

Thinking about changing to a breeding-type vit and min supplement and sticking it in some grass chaff and knocking the balancer down. What do others do?

ihatework

Visit site
All the mares on the studs I’ve been involved in just get good grass, unless there is a problem/good reason to supplement them.

milliepops

Visit site
okey dokey :) tricky path to navigate as a first timer, it's just about the only time I've done what the feed bag says!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
All the mares on the studs I’ve been involved in just get good grass, unless there is a problem/good reason to supplement them.
Never fed any of mine in the past, the only one I did and her foal just over sprouted and what should have topped out at about 13.2 (like mum, and dad was 13.1) ended up overheight by 5 yr old at 14.2, thank goodness he was a lad, I'd have cried buckets if a filly! He finally finished up at 14.3 at 8, but his owners adored him anyway.

monte1

Visit site
MP, if it is any help, my little colt is almost 9 weeks old now and we moved him, mum & 2 year old brother to very good grazing about 2 weeks ago. mum is also a very good doer and we had been reducing the quantity of stud mix anyway prior to the move as she was holding weight easily if a little to well. since the move just good grass and they all look fabulous . this is him earlier this week and one with big brother.
i must admit i am lucky to be guided by mares owner who is very experienced

Attachments

• IMG_3284.jpg
    IMG_3284.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3285.jpg
    IMG_3285.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

milliepops

Visit site
thanks monte :) looks like a cracker.

our grass is good compared to what Salty is usually on but shorter as it's had a hay crop taken off a few weeks ago. I've still got them in at night with last year's hay because I don't really want to leave them out overnight while still needing the electric fence. we had a couple of transgressions a while back but she seems to have got the measure of it now! I just feel happier being able to see her on the camera in the day. when all the tractor crap gets moved then they can have the whole field and stay out.

monte1

Visit site
thanks monte :) looks like a cracker.

our grass is good compared to what Salty is usually on but shorter as it's had a hay crop taken off a few weeks ago. I've still got them in at night with last year's hay because I don't really want to leave them out overnight while still needing the electric fence. we had a couple of transgressions a while back but she seems to have got the measure of it now! I just feel happier being able to see her on the camera in the day. when all the tractor crap gets moved then they can have the whole field and stay out.

It is hard isn't it , mine is out 24/7 with basically electric fencing all round (which he has learned about ) and I do worry as he isn't even on same yard as my other horse either, but i have decided to just get on with it as best i can and try not to stress - oh god only another few years of worry till we can ride them :-D

milliepops

Visit site
It is hard isn't it , mine is out 24/7 with basically electric fencing all round (which he has learned about ) and I do worry as he isn't even on same yard as my other horse either, but i have decided to just get on with it as best i can and try not to stress - oh god only another few years of worry till we can ride them :-D
haha we will have no hair and no nails left by then :p

JJS

Visit site

This was the route I went down with Mary, and she never struggled to hold condition ?