What do you feed your natives?

LCH611

Visit site
My 4 connies thrive on Pure Feed Easy (at way below the suggested level), ad lib haylage in the field and haylage at night. They hunt, play polo, event etc so need energy but no silliness as I had them as barely broken 4 year olds for my children and me and whilst I am happy for them to cavort about as much as they want to boxing and playing in the field, I require them to only lift all 4 feet off the ground in great displays of athleticism, when asked under saddle. They all have hooves like rock and lovely shiny coats.

Last edited:

Lintel

Visit site
My boy is in 0 work at the moment but will be going back to getting ridden 4-5 times a week. He's on topspec lite balancer and a scoop on bran and he gets his hi fibre nuts in his ball. He is prone to weight gain and lami, he keeps a good weight on this if anything looses slightly during the winter which gives us the leeway to allow him to get a little porky in the summer :)

rascal

Visit site
Ours are on just grass and hay, at the moment but they always have access to a mineral lick. They are not on their winter grazing yet, we have to fence off next doors oak tree first.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My sec D and my native x are on grass chaff and a balancer all year round. Just swapped to Horse and Pony Direct balancer as has a good price and the spec looks good, was feeding Blue Chip original before. Plus loads and loads of hay.

I was just trialling some topspec turbo for Millie's harder days when she went lame in the spring, and I'm considering the same or just oats as suggested by FW for my cob, who is starting to indicate she'd appreciate some extra on show days etc.

Annagain

Visit site
My two are sort of natives. (TBx Shire X Welsh and ID x something native, possibly Connie) They're both good doers anyway who work frequently if not hard! We recently worked out one had a sugar intolerance and switched to Saracen Re-leve, Fast Fibre and unmolassed grass chaff (I know they probably don't need the chaff AND fast-fibre but I like them to have the grass chaff to bulk their feed out a bit. Neither is greedy and they pick at their feeds all night rather than wolfing it in one go). They both get fed the same, as it's easier and this really seems to suit them both. The slug is less sluggish and the thug is less thuggish! Of course he may have just grown up a bit finally at 19 - although his behaviour to be clipped on Friday suggests otherwise :rolleyes: The only problem is the thug (who doesn't really need the sugar free diet) isn't too keen on it and will leave some of his tea sometimes, so when he goes through that phase I add a little spoonful of molasses.

MissJessica

Visit site
My sensitive spooky and energetic connemara gets one cup of TopSpec Lite balancer both in a morning and at night, he looks incredible on it.
Lots of grass, daily turnout and hay at night time.

nfpony

Visit site
Fatty new forest gets 2 handfuls ish of bluechip native balancer as it does wonders for his topline. The same amount of allen and page power and performance as he sometimes lacks in energy, would really recommend this as you only have to feed a little and just gives them a little more sparkle (just make sure you feed according to the work you're doing as excess energy is stored as fat) and a small handfull of hifi-lite just to bulk it up a bit.

miss_c

Visit site
A handful of fast fibre and a handful of chaff once a day, turned out in the daytime in winter and in overnight with 4kg of hay. She also gets a vits and mins supplement rather than a balancer as advised by my vet.