What do you hate that everyone else loves?

Nasicus

Visit site
Powdered potato, cheap sausages and luncheon meat!! YUK!
I like all three of those! Smash is a quick, easy way to get some potato-ish side to a meal (and dairy/gluten free unlike a lot of other brands). Cheap sausages are usually smooth in texture which I like. And Luncheon Meat (eg spam) is pretty nice sliced and fried, but unfortunately does not agree with my IBS :(

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Creme eggs. Sickly revolting things

That new Zara Larsson song where she wants someone to ruin her life. Why would you want that?! Not as bad as the songs i mentioned earlier though

Heart fm. "More music variety" apparently maybe I misunderstand the meaning of the word variety as I'm sure it's not playing the same rubbish songs multiple times a day

Wine and beer

Fantastic beasts film series- thought I'd love them as loved Harry potter but I hate them

Wrapping presents

GreyMane

Visit site
Vaping, especially if I accidentally breathe it in - blegh. But better than smoking I guess.

Most prize winning Literary books. Bridget Jones - probably because it was so overhyped.
Hated The Famished Road but maybe that was because the MIL bought it for us !

Like Harry Potter though; anyone who hates JKR's writing care to say why?
Would be interested to know.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Well I'm a Harry Potter fan, but I can totally understand why people hate JKR's writing style - it is fairly abhorrent. It's over-simplistic and I find it grating at times. I also don't like her attitude - she once claimed HP isn't fantasy fiction, which is pretty laughable. She's also got a rather substantial ego. Basically, I don't much like her! I do like the series, because the plot is fun, some of the characters are cool, and I LIKE fantasy, and all the derivative little threads you can pull through the history of fantasy and mythology. I am also glad that the series exists because it has engaged a lot of children with reading, and that can only be a good thing - even if that alone doesn't make it good literature.

I prefer Philip Pullman and Pratchett for the same sort of fiction (comparing like for like - i.e. YA fantasy fiction), but their stuff is less popular partly because film adaptations are either non-existent, or utter abominations, and also probably because they're better written so slightly less accessible / easy going for weaker reading children.

JFTDWS

Visit site
All the way through Harry Potter she uses the word ancestor when she means descendant drives me mad!

There are lots of really stupid errors in the early editions of the books. Blame the proof reader (and probably the author too 😜)

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Ed Sheeran, Adele, most popular songs on the radio.
Horsey hates are people saying fur babies and the people that say "show me your grey/mares/ponies" on Facebook groups.
Also really hate bandages on horses that don't need them, horses over rugged and people who wack loads of tack on horses because they don't know how to ride.
Oh and children who are overhorsed and kick so much while going round jumps or a show.

Sorry I'm a really miserable cow 😂

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Well I'm a Harry Potter fan, but I can totally understand why people hate JKR's writing style - it is fairly abhorrent. It's over-simplistic and I find it grating at times.

I thought that the Harry Potter books were written to be understood by readers who would be the same age as Harry is in each of them. So when Harry is 11, the book is written for 11 year olds; when he's 16, it's written for 16 year olds.

All the way through Harry Potter she uses the word ancestor when she means descendant drives me mad!

I hadn't noticed that! I'll have to go looking for it, one day.

My son got it into his head, when he was about eight, that he wanted to learn ancient Greek, so I got him the Philosopher's Stone translation and a basic "teach yourself" book... he didn't go very far.

greek_harry_potter_jacket.jpg

JFTDWS

Visit site
I thought that the Harry Potter books were written to be understood by readers who would be the same age as Harry is in each of them. So when Harry is 11, the book is written for 11 year olds; when he's 16, it's written for 16 year olds.

Most, if not all, of the series is 9-12 fiction. For comparison, Swallows and Amazons is 9-12, as is The Box of Delights - both because of their content, rather than because of the facile use of language which is what keeps HP in 9-12.

chaps89

Visit site
I reaaaaally want to try a deep fried creme egg now :eek:

I'm sorry, I just can't get into matchy matchy or even just massively expensive numnahs. Don't have anything against people who do like it, just not for me.

And full seat breeches. Ugh, so uncomfortable, I just don't understand why people like them I'm afraid.

Non horsey I hate mash potato. Root veg mash or sweet potato mash is fine, as is oven baked mash on a shepherds pie. But mash on it's own? Bleurgh.

SadKen

Visit site
Mrs. Brown's. Boys.

Musicals. I got tricked into going to a musical once. I was told we were going to see a play. I ended up looking around, confused, wondering if I'd tripped into a parallel universe. Firstly because I couldn't see anything enjoyable in the 3rd rate songs, whilst everyone else clearly thought they were seeing something magnificent. I'm used to not responding to things in a 'normal' way but I've never felt as separate from normal humans as I did in that musical. And secondly because nobody else seemed to have noticed that bursting into song isn't explained in the 'plot', such as it was. Hell for me would be having to sit through a perpetual showing of La La Land whilst a child kicked the back of my seat.

Horse hate: breeches. Everyone else seems to fit in them. Fastening the main brands is like trying to do a zip up between New York and Land's End, whilst the Kraken tries to fight its way to the surface of the Atlantic. Soul destroying.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
[QUOTE="SadKen, post: 13915212, member: 99281"

Horse hate: breeches. Everyone else seems to fit in them. Fastening the main brands is like trying to do a zip up between New York and Land's End, whilst the Kraken tries to fight its way to the surface of the Atlantic. Soul destroying.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps everyone else buys the right size 😀😀😀

JFTDWS

Visit site
I too hate Mrs Brown's Boys and musicals.

Except for the Muppet's Christmas Carol, because muppets can get away with anything as far as I'm concerned. (Are we counting musical films anyway?)

redredruby

Visit site
Horse trailers - I just don’t think they are safe and would never put my horse in one.

Can someone expand on the Charlotte / Valegro posts, I always thought they were amazing but am not a big dressage fan so might be missing something!

still standing

Visit site
I like being called babe or hun or dear - I think it's friendly and it makes me feel young(er)!
Oh, and I don't mind being whistled at either (is that terrible nowadays?!), I just take it as a compliment as it was in my day!

But I can't stand the word 'wild' in front of outdoor activities. I mean, what's with all this 'wild swimming', 'wild camping'? Why not just say swimming in the river or camping in the mountains? After all, I haven't heard anyone say 'I was tame camping in a campsite'!

And re horses & grooming, is there an invisible protection shield around some people which keeps them and their clothes clean? I mean... white T-shirts....really?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
The Muppets - never understood them, found them slightly terrifying when I was younger.

And I love a good musical, whereas pantomimes leave me cold.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Most, if not all, of the series is 9-12 fiction. For comparison, Swallows and Amazons is 9-12, as is The Box of Delights - both because of their content, rather than because of the facile use of language which is what keeps HP in 9-12.
Those aren’t really fair comparisons... they are written in different times - I am not a huge Harry Potter fan but those books did get a generation of kids reading when kids had stopped reading almost all together.

Chippers1

Visit site
Really I hate too much gear on a horse when it’s not a competiton, like seeing people put a hack in full on 4* eventing gear bridle bit and outfit when the person is just a happy hacker *facepalm* I’m like really?? As I toddled by on my simple snaffle bridle and plains saddle combo with not a fashion brand in sight :D

Even at clear round nights I hate seeing 60cms classes and horses with more tack on than a competing Whittaker. Drives me round the bend, what happened to simple??

I (hopefully) intend on doing a BE80 this year and I think I might look very out of place as I only ever ride and compete in a plain cavesson bridle, GP saddle and loose ring snaffle, don't even have boots!