What do you hate that everyone else loves?

JFTDWS

Visit site
Those aren’t really fair comparisons... they are written in different times - I am not a huge Harry Potter fan but those books did get a generation of kids reading when kids had stopped reading almost all together.

Yes, I deliberately picked them for that reason. They were written for children who were younger but more comprehensively educated, but invariably, also there was no expectation of universal literacy or effort to make them accessible. Swings and roundabouts. I don’t like dumbing down, but accessibility is a good thing when it promotes reading in those who would not otherwise read.

(As I said in a previous post...)

D66

Visit site
This! Why do prepacked sandwiches always contain more mayo than anything else?!?!?! It is vile stuff!!!!
Mayo stops the bread going soggy (from the tomatoes and cucumbers) more effectively than butter - or it might be that butter melts into the bread in warm shops and they go soggy - something like that, anyway.

catkin

Visit site
And I love a good musical, whereas pantomimes leave me cold.

I love musicals too

AND panto - though they do need a certain mindset whilst you are there, and a group to go with (including noisy kids and crazy people from foreign lands who've never seen one before is best) - it's a participation team sport after all :)

albeg

Visit site
I often wonder who does find Mrs. Brown's Boys funny? I certainly don't, nor does anybody I know (obviously not a statistically significant sample....). It's not shown on Irish TV channels.

Except at Christmas. Something to drive people nuts/out of the house when they've been inside all day stuffing their faces?

albeg

Visit site
Mayo stops the bread going soggy (from the tomatoes and cucumbers) more effectively than butter - or it might be that butter melts into the bread in warm shops and they go soggy - something like that, anyway.

Easy solution is to not put tomatoes or cucumber in. They don't belong in sandwiches.

scruffyponies

Visit site
A Harry Potter side note; anyone else tried reading them in foreign languages?
Easy to follow, limited vocab, mix of formal and informal, tenses, parts of speech etc. They're fantastic.

Also, the French translator is a genius. Choixpeau. I mean, just wow!

LaurenBay

Visit site
Don't get me started on prepacked sandwiches. I hate Mayo! it is everywhere!

I hate people with bad manners, I was brought up to always say please and thank you, be kind and courteous to others, hold doors open etc.

Horsey hate - Riders who do not acknowledge drivers when they slow down, they are the ones that give the rest of us a bad name. Riders are quick to criticise other road users, but not to thank someone for slowing or stopping.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
Personal pet dislike... people who manage to ride their horses in a saddle that magically 'fits all horses' which has never ever been checked/fitted by a saddler. If I did that I swear my horse would collapse in a puddle. If his saddle even dares to pinch or move slightly I would get the 'face of doom'! I seem to spend my entire life getting saddles checked / new saddles fitted / trying different girths and numnahs... all to make my big guy happy. Sigh.

Oh and don't start me on over tight bridles or bits. That truly makes me want to cry.

JFTDWS

Visit site
A Harry Potter side note; anyone else tried reading them in foreign languages?
Easy to follow, limited vocab, mix of formal and informal, tenses, parts of speech etc. They're fantastic.

Also, the French translator is a genius. Choixpeau. I mean, just wow!

I've had the Russian version on my wishlist for AGES. The simple language really comes into its own there!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I've had the Russian version on my wishlist for AGES. The simple language really comes into its own there!

My dad speaks Russian because he used to do quite a bit of work over there, and someone once gave him a copy as a present. I don't think he's ever read it....

JFTDWS

Visit site
My dad speaks Russian because he used to do quite a bit of work over there, and someone once gave him a copy as a present. I don't think he's ever read it....

A microcosm for the cruel inequity of the world! :p

(I don't speak Russian, I can't get my tongue around English that well. I can read a little though.)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
A microcosm for the cruel inequity of the world! :p

(I don't speak Russian, I can't get my tongue around English that well. I can read a little though.)

Can send it to you if you like ;) - a world of Russian Harry potter joy awaits you!
Yeah, he's one of those irritating easy language learners - he also speaks Welsh, French, German and Italian. It's really very unfair to the rest of us.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Can send it to you if you like ;) - a world of Russian Harry potter joy awaits you!
Yeah, he's one of those irritating easy language learners - he also speaks Welsh, French, German and Italian. It's really very unfair to the rest of us.

I wouldn't like to deprive him of the possibility of acquiring a love for Russian HP! I would like to deprive him of (or at least share!) his skills though - I'd love to be good at languages. Oddly the only language I've ever been any good at is Latin - how useless is that in modern society?! You never go on a mini-break to ancient Rome and need to book seats for the chariot races at the Circus Maximus, do you?!

SadKen

Visit site
[QUOTE="SadKen, post: 13915212, member: 99281"

Horse hate: breeches. Everyone else seems to fit in them. Fastening the main brands is like trying to do a zip up between New York and Land's End, whilst the Kraken tries to fight its way to the surface of the Atlantic. Soul destroying.

Perhaps everyone else buys the right size 😀😀😀[/QUOTE]

Meow!

It isn't the size as such. It's the shape. I have no hips to speak of; if the waist fits the hip and bum area looks like I'm wearing clown trousers. There is enough room for another clown in there. Besides me.

I realise this is a problem other people likely don't have because they are a proper woman shape with big hips and a timy waist. But that is the title of the thread!

starfish8

Visit site
People who use 'company' and 'business' as if they are the same thing. Probably more 'things i hate that no one else cares about' than something anyone loves but still.

Onions.

Horsey 'dramas'. Maybe its just my yard but everyone seems to love over-exaggerating... eg 'your horse was awful to do today, borderline dangerous' when what actually happened was it paused to look at a pile of leaves, or twitched an ear.

People who don't bother looking for an explanation for equine behaviour... my horse is being a twit... i don't disbelieve iyoubut there is always a reason if you stop to thing about it.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Haha s8, yes I once arrived at the livery yard I kept my big horse on to be told by the tiny blow-away-in-the-slightest-of-breeze 'groom' that my horse had 'tried to get away' from her when she was leading him in that day. No no dear, he's a young, fit, 630kg lump of a horse - if he had been trying to get away from you, trust me, he would have done. He might have wombled off in a fairly non committed way in his own direction....

Nasicus

Visit site
On the topic of being called 'Hun', we all know that precedes a desperate attempt to pitch some MLM essential oil/makeup/clothing/diet tea rubbish....

rosiesowner

Visit site
Personal pet dislike... people who manage to ride their horses in a saddle that magically 'fits all horses' which has never ever been checked/fitted by a saddler.

This frustrates me... I knew someone who put the same monoflap on a high withered thoroughbred (talking proper shark fin) and then on a barrel/minimal withers welsh x. apparently it fit both perfectly-i don't think it fit either particularly well!!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Oh yes another banana hater, glad to see I'm not the only onion hater either!

Agree with the being called babe/ baby/ hun/ hunni/ dear etc haters. Especially by men I've never met when I was doing online dating

Bruno Mars. Irritating little man who sung my most hated song uptown funk. He's just been on the radio hence why I'm adding him

Watching dressage makes me yawn. Yes I can appreciate the skill but it's all the same thing. I used to like doing dressage competitions when the rs had them but watching it just no.

Cricket and darts. Yawn.

While I like football and watching it I disagree with how much the players are paid would love to earn what they do in a few years let alone a week

Minions. Watched a bit of one of their films and the noise they make drove me round the bend why do people love them so much?

Oh's friend. Never met the guy but sounds like he thinks he's God's gift.

Men who flex their muscles, if you're that muscly you can come help me shift horse bedding/ food/ hay

How difficult it is for first time buyers my age to get their own home and mortgage
I hate a lot of things 😂

Last edited: