What do you hate that everyone else loves?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
And people who constantly use my name while talking to me, I think because they feel they have more "connection". I know my own name, you know my name, let's just leave it at that shall we?

Yes this! Omg! Why do so many people do this!? I hate it. It makes me squirm and want to run away. There's no need unless you are singling out a comment to one person in a group of people. I don't use someone's name unless I am trying to get their attention or it needs making clear that Im directing a comment to them specifically. I certainly do not randomly pepper the conversation with their name. It's just weird. Stop it.

I'm guessing it counts as "something other people love" since so many people seem to do it.

albeg

Visit site
Yes this! Omg! Why do so many people do this!? I hate it. It makes me squirm and want to run away. There's no need unless you are singling out a comment to one person in a group of people. I don't use someone's name unless I am trying to get their attention or it needs making clear that Im directing a comment to them specifically. I certainly do not randomly pepper the conversation with their name. It's just weird. Stop it.

I'm guessing it counts as "something other people love" since so many people seem to do it.

Makes me really uncomfortable too! If I'm the only person you're talking to I'm not going to forget, you don't need to keep reminding me! (most of the time anyway 😂)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
A northern thing, I think.

What do you know, <name>?

As a conversation starter. As a southerner, it makes me feel like I'm being interrogated, and only valued as a friend for what information I hold!

case895

Visit site
Plaiting. Looks horrible. Takes ages and really what is the point?
Competition white breeches? White and horses? Why?
Standard height (1.2 m) fence posts. My horse Stanley has jumped out of 2 different fields this week every day. I don't know why I even bother shutting the gate.
Show jumping entries on the day (not in advance). I stopped competing as I cannot deal with turning up to class 4 and having no idea when it might start, finish, the jump off take place.

paddy555

Visit site
smart phones. I don't understand why people out for a walk in the country need to be constantly walking along looking down at their phone whilst their dogs and kids are running riot. They walk for miles like this and are completely unaware of anything riding, walking or driving into them. As someone who has no reception and therefore no smart phone I just don't understand and their total lack of awareness and inability to move out of the way is infuriating. Even worse some cyclists are now doing it whilst riding along.

Chippers1

Visit site
Show jumping entries on the day (not in advance). I stopped competing as I cannot deal with turning up to class 4 and having no idea when it might start, finish, the jump off take place.

Urgh agree with this!! The SJ I went to last weekend gives you a time for your round, I love it!

J&S

Visit site
smart phones. I don't understand why people out for a walk in the country need to be constantly walking along looking down at their phone whilst their dogs and kids are running riot. They walk for miles like this and are completely unaware of anything riding, walking or driving into them. As someone who has no reception and therefore no smart phone I just don't understand and their total lack of awareness and inability to move out of the way is infuriating. Even worse some cyclists are now doing it whilst riding along.

I so agree!

Quadro

Visit site
Deep fried pizzas are amazing
Ed Sheeran
Coblet
Ponio
Any family (mine or anothers)related activities
Carol Voderman
Hunger Games
The use of hash tags on bloody everything in particular #makingmemories

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
A Harry Potter side note; anyone else tried reading them in foreign languages?
Easy to follow, limited vocab, mix of formal and informal, tenses, parts of speech etc. They're fantastic.

Also, the French translator is a genius. Choixpeau. I mean, just wow!

That "limited vocab" probably follows Rowling's original method of making the vocabulary and grammatical constructions suit children of the same age as Harry and gang are in each book.

I remember reading a book in A-level French class, that starts with just present tense and simple grammar, the next chapters use a past tense (probably imperfect) and more complex grammar, and so on through the book, each introducing more and more complexity; it's Djinn, by Alain Robbe-Grillet. There's another article about the book, in French, here.

As a general rule, I don't read books in translation, unless the book has a really good reputation in its original language, and I'm unlikely to ever get proficient enough in that language.

A really good translation is a work of absolute wonder! The Harry Potter books in French are a good example, as are the books of the Millenium Trilogy (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo et al.) in British English (on the other hand, I found the American version unreadable).

I keep intending to try The Hobbit in French, because I've always felt that Tolkien's vocabulary is so intimately bound to Old English that it must be nearly untranslatable.

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
No, Keith, as I said before, all the HP books are classified as 9-12 fiction - i.e. younger than the protagonists throughout most of the series. Children often prefer to read about children who are slightly older than themselves - it's a common enough trait in children's fiction. The later books have darker and deeper themes, but the vocabulary / style of the last books is certainly not aimed at 17 year olds...

(The classification is fact across all of the major retailers in the UK, afaik, so whilst you may disagree, your opinion isn't really substantiated here.)

Visit site
As a general rule, I don't read books in translation, unless the book has a really good reputation in its original language, and I'm unlikely to ever get proficient enough in that language.

A really good translation is a work of absolute wonder! The Harry Potter books in French are a good example, as are the books of the Millenium Trilogy (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo et al.) in British English (on the other hand, I found the American version unreadable).

I keep intending to try The Hobbit in French, because I've always felt that Tolkien's vocabulary is so intimately bound to Old English that it must be nearly untranslatable.
I think good translators are just getting less common lol. The best translated books I've read have always been older.
My favourite is a Chronicle of a Death Foretold (translated from Spanish), I think it is superb.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Naughty horses. Not sure if it’s just the people I know, but it seems everybody under about 18 likes having the naughtiest pony and it’s almost a competition of how hard is your pony to ride. Honestly, give me something honest, even if it does have a few quirks, not something I have to have a death wish to get on!!

scruffyponies

Visit site
I remember reading a book in A-level French class, that starts with just present tense and simple grammar, the next chapters use a past tense (probably imperfect) and more complex grammar, and so on through the book, each introducing more and more complexity; it's Djinn, by Alain Robbe-Grillet. There's another article about the book, in French, here.

Thanks for this... I haven't heard of it, and it sounds useful.

As for The Hobbit - I'm currently waddling through LOTR in German, on the grounds that Tolkein is quite germanic, and I'm not quite ready for anything written in German that I'm not already familiar with. Tolkein is just SO rubbish once you're grown up. It's a shame.

blitznbobs

Visit site
A northern thing, I think.

What do you know, <name>?

As a conversation starter. As a southerner, it makes me feel like I'm being interrogated, and only valued as a friend for what information I hold!
From a psychological point of view it is a power play ... especially in a sales or complaint situation... it’s why you feel uncomfortable - it’s making everything they say personal. Some people use it actively as such...

cindars

Visit site
I so agree!
Agree and what about when they walk towards you and you have to dodge out of their way and they still don't see you.In Brighton they have signs on the pavement warning people to pay attention

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Agree and what about when they walk towards you and you have to dodge out of their way and they still don't see you.In Brighton they have signs on the pavement warning people to pay attention

There is a video of people walking into things (including traffic, ponds, glass, doors, each other, etc.) whilst staring at their phones. It is more disturbing than schadenfreudishly funny.