what do you put in your treat balls?

dreambigpony

Visit site
My horse has finally learnt how they work and she is loving it! However, I don't want to be giving her loads of sugary treats in it. What do you tend to put in them?

acorn92x

Visit site
I don't put treats in them - some form of pony nut or fibre nuts are a much better choice. A small handful is more than ample to keep them occupied I find!

WelshD

Visit site
baileys high fibre nuggets are good because they are nice and chunky

I use stud cubes (youngster) and a single square of lickit bar, pony goes crazy looking for that one square!

9tails

Visit site
Baileys Fibre Plus nuggets in an equine decahedron, I don't now if they'll work in a round treatball. My mare is a pro with a treat ball and can empty it in a few minutes, but it's long enough for me to walk away without a begging face staring at me over the stable door.

WelshD

Visit site
Baileys Fibre Plus nuggets in an equine decahedron, I don't now if they'll work in a round treatball.

They are fine in a decahedron but don't work in my lickit round treatball as it has a plate thing with holes in inside to make things harder and the nuggets don't fall through. poor pony was clobbering the ball against the walls for two days before I realised he wasn't getting anything out of it!

booandellie

Visit site
baileys fibre nuggets in a decahadron work better than ponycubes cos they don't get lost in the bed, they are also a healthier option for fatties!

Merrymoles

Visit site
Ours get a mix of Baileys fibre nuggets and chopped carrots. If my lad drops weight (which he is at the moment) I up the number of fibre nuggets, rather than adding to his feed, as he absolutely loves his treat ball and he doesn't need much extra to gain weight.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Baileys Fibre Plus nuggets in an equine decahedron, I don't now if they'll work in a round treatball. My mare is a pro with a treat ball and can empty it in a few minutes, but it's long enough for me to walk away without a begging face staring at me over the stable door.

This. But I have stopped bothering because Kali can empty it in about two minutes.

P

Darkwater

Visit site
One has a couple of cupfulls of Topspec fibre plus cubes, the other has Topspec Ulsakind cubes. A My old mare has got her decahedron sussed - She just rolls it up and down the wall side and they're all out within a few minutes, it takes my youngster a bit longer though.

budley95

Visit site
Mine gets his senior balancer in his ball. But then he only gets ad lib hay with it as I'm a mean owner that doesn't want a fat horse!

Greylegs

Visit site
Another fan of Baileys fibre nuggets. They're the same size as treats but more healthy, and he seems to love them. A big bag last me a couple of months.

Kallibear

Visit site
Try putting a couple of handfuls of chaff in with then cubes too or, if he's really good at it, stuff some hay/straw in. It slows them down significantly.

acorn92x

Visit site
I'd be reluctant to put anything fresh in a treat ball (Like carrots, apple, celery etc) as some horses aren't always efficient enough in getting all of the food out of the ball, so I would be concerned that anything fresh left in there might end up a bit smelly, slobbery, mouldy and generally gross if left for a day or too!

Rachelashleigh

www.fullcyclesalvage.co.uk
I'm really considering buying a couple of treat balls, but on FB I saw a post where the fire brigade was needed as horse for its foot stuck inside. Has anyone else had any problems with them? As one of mine can get himself into trouble at the blink of an eye.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Mine is also a trouble-magnet, but she has been absolutely fine with hers. I've got the lickit one which is totally spherical. I usually take it out of the stable when she has finished if I'm there, but I have left it in her box overnight. TBH I think mine is more likely to put her foot in her water bucket than in the treat ball.