What do you think? Cross about the situation we a puppy we bred....

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Without being rude and I hope you don't think I am being hostile, if neither breeding animal was x-rayed, then you DON'T know for certain HD or ED are not present. Some animals with HD and ED are sound as a pound to look at, doesn't mean they should be bred from.
I know a dog which has 'NOT TO BE BRED FROM' stamped all over his pedigree in German but he can pop a 1m hurdle and an A-frame and has competed internationally with great success.

It may also prompt them to hip and elbow score her before they breed and perhaps your mum as well.

Last edited:

Mongoose11

Visit site
Suprisingly my mum did submit to my ongoing requests to get the parents scored before going ahead. They were postive findings... I am not suprised you semi assumed she wouldn't have either.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Why are you not surprised I assumed they had not been scored, when you never mentioned it - especially when others were wondering why they were bred/where perhaps criticising the fact that they were bred.
It would have been the first thing I would have mentioned in my (in this case, your mum's) defence!

Mongoose11

Visit site
CC, It wasn't supposed to be a criticism - sorry. I just meant that as my Mum has been, essentially, a back yard breeder I would have also assumed she wouldn't have tested. I was bloody suprised she did I tell you. Nonetheless, I don't think anyone would have said that she had done the right thing breeding just because she was generally semi responsible in going about it!

Mongoose11

Visit site
I guess I didn't mention it because I have never attempted to argue that she should have bred, I don't agree that she should have. The thread was about this pup. I do happen to be being snuffled by one of the little beauties right now though, my parents in law took a chocolate girl and she is adorable. They are over the moon and she is currently chomping on my sock! :)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Most BYBs's wouldn't hip and elbow score the breeding pair (eats into the profits!!) so I think you may have been a bit hard on her in this instance :) I know, mothers!!

Mongoose11

Visit site
I'm not proud to say it but it was a money making exercise I am sure. Thing is they made nothing as the smallest pup had a problem with his throat (I posted at the time and the advice was pts) they spent four grand on the Op and now have their sixth dog - he is very happy and growing well despite his poor prognosis originally. They aren't all bad :)

Pix

Visit site
This will probably all get lost, as my interweb is foul ATM, but I'll try anyway :p

As she's a friend of your sharer there's an opportunity for a mutual dog walk to have a face to face chat about "puppy stuff" (or even try to get together all the pups and their new people on a weekend. I understand that this is hard to arrange/persuade people to attend in such shoddy weather). I think a face to face chat and swapping of ideas will go down far better than a lecture or anything else that might be considered as criticism or confrontation. If her last dog was easy, and this one isn't following that pattern, chances are she's already stressed and feeling like a failure, even if she doesn't show it. Unlike a rescue such as Cayla you have no legal right to retrieve the dog, so you need to go with whichever approach will be best received.

Also, with her having been at home to begin with, and now away all day, it's not entirely clear if this is lack of training, puppy getting bored, or genuine SA. To be fair, that needs to be cleared up before you can address any destruction and toileting in the house issues.

A good stop gap measure to suggest is, rather than a being "let out" for a bit mid day, a really good dog walker who will give a 30 min or hour walk. An hour is probably over what is recommended for a 6 month old in terms of development etc., but I might risk it if the alternative was 8 hours in a cage. Particularly if I could alter the morning, evening and night walks to accommodate it. (Sorry if this is what is already happening, I've gotten a bit confused over the various posts).

You have my sympathy, it's a really awkward and difficult situation as essentially, you want to help fix the issue, but really have no power to do so. :(