What do you think of this horse?

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
I'm no expert but I think he looks nice from the photos, a kind eye, very difficult to tell without seeing them in person though. I imagine he is just a bit green, but if he is honest then that's not a problem.

Have no idea about the dealer though sorry.

Good luck! :D

Jazzy B

Visit site
I thought in the first picture his back end looked like it should be on another horse but the photos got better and he looks quite nice. Imagine he will be quite green but reckon worth a look.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Says they are looking for a lifetime home. He looks lovely and a good price too, so long as nothing's wrong with him.

Tammytoo

Visit site
I don't know the dealer so can't help there. The horse's quarters are rather poor, which could just be lack of muscle, but they don't look right somehow. If he's very green he could look completely different after schooling on. He also dishes with his near fore.

If he's not far away I would go and have a look in the flesh, you'll get a much better idea - he's cheap enough for a big horse!

3Beasties

Visit site
He's not on my doorstep Tammy but they have another one I like the look of so I think it would be worth a trip.

Trouble is I go away for 11 days next Thursday so not sure if it's worth trying to see him this weekend or wait till I'm back and hope he's still available!

Appy - Yes I've still got him, I'm on a mission to find him a home though as I haven't got the facilities or experience to try and work him :(

Syrah

Visit site
I've got that dealer on my fb page, he's sold I'm afraid. They've got plenty of others in though, but they do sell pretty quickly.

Booboos

Visit site
Am I going blind??? Aren't both horses in gags? That alone would put me off, but perhaps I am imagining things in my old age, does everyone else see snaffles?

Andiamo

Visit site
To the OP - you have incredibly good taste in horses, I love both of them :)
Shame about the black one being sold...any chance you could ring up just to be sure that the buyer didn't change their mind for whatever reason (it happens!) The black one is sweet, he looks like a happy-go-lucky type. Very good price for such a great looking horse, he would make a nice dressage horse. Only downside (but completely reasonable for the money) it that he looks green and unmuscled though, and improving his relationship with the contact is going to take months...as he'll need to build the strength to hold himself (I went through it with my current horse). That said, if I was in the market for a new horse, I would snap this one up in a hurry! ;) I wonder though why she has a big neck strap on him.

The coloured one is also very nicely priced, very cute horse, I love him as well :) I just love his bottom - one cheek is white, the other is dun ;) Sooo cute! Again, doesn't look to have much schooling at all, and you're going to have a project trying to get it to accept the contact. But for that price, it's absolutely a bargain.

It doesn't hurt to call and make enquiries...maybe they have some hidden gems that aren't advertised?
Good luck :) and have a nice holiday.

3Beasties

Visit site
Am I going blind??? Aren't both horses in gags? That alone would put me off, but perhaps I am imagining things in my old age, does everyone else see snaffles?

It wouldn't put me off as such but the Black one was advertised as a snaffle mouth so I did think that was a bit odd.

Saying that I have seen plenty of yards that stick a 3 ring gag in everything, whether they need it or not!

Booboos

Visit site
Why would a gag put you off?

Well personally I am primarily interested in DR so a gag would be a deal breaker. In this case the first one is advertised as snaffle mouth so I would wonder that the seller either doesn't know a snaffle from a gag or (more likely) is hoping that the buyer doesn't know a snaffle from a gag. The other one is advertised as "good in open spaces, not strong or fizzy" so I would question the need for the gag. I would also worry that the gag has been used in both cases to pull the head in and show a false 'pretty' picture (which may account for the lack of topline and bum muscle in the black horse).

LollyDolly

Visit site
I think he looks lovely however are you planning to do much showing with him? Because from the first picture (the sideshot) it seems like he has inherited the back end of the TB and the head of the Shire, he seems a bit topheavy to me. However other than that he seems a lovely boy and if all you want to do is hack/school/fun rides etc. then I think he'd certainly be worth a look! Although do keep an eye on dealers, I bought 2 of my horses from dealers, one was a personal friend of mine and was fantastic however my other boy I purchased from dealers who I did not know (they were based 3 hours away from me haha!) and when I went to see him he was heavily sedated. Thankfully his sharpness/nervousness does not put me off and I was aware from the start that he was sedated but it is just worth bearing in mind that some dealers to tinker with the horses and they may not be all they seem when you get them home!

asommerville

Visit site
Shame aboit the black one being sold. they both have the same shape of neck, kind of upside down baaically going to need schooling to accept a proper contact and build proper muscle. add does say their green tho

3Beasties

Visit site
Just phoned up about the coloured, he sounds lovely and I was all set on going to see him but someone has beat me to it! She's kept my details though so will give me a call if it falls through.

PS. He's now ridden in a hanging cheek and was fine in that on a funride :)

Mypinkpony

Visit site
I saw the black one a couple of weeks ago, i couldn't stop looking at him, just my type but not in the position to buy another sadly. But he was lovely, seems they have a good rep so maybe ask her to call you when any new ones come in? My friend did this and she's ended with a fantastic coloured mare for under 2k, she was offered to her first before advertised :D

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Have a read of all their adverts and have a look at the past you tube clips. Then read it again.

All adverts read the same and all clips show mainly decent stamps of nicely turned out green horses.

The market is very depressed as we all know but I would be very careful about buying 16h + young horses for £1000 with a description claiming the horse to be perfect.

I have no doubt there may be a gem in their yard but my first thoughts would be these are horses from a supplier in Ireland that have been shipped over, tidied up and marketed quickly. The big horse that started this thread looks like he has done a hard season without seeing the inside of many grub buckets. The way horses are kept, worked and fed in Ireland is vastly different to the way we keep them here.

Novice buyers beware.