What do you think of this little Lorry?

charlie55

Visit site
Looks very nice!! I would
smile.gif

Baileyhoss

Visit site
Firstly i don't believe it would carry 2x 17.2hh. or even 2 smaller horses You would need to know the unladen weight of it?

It has a fancy paint job, and it does look good, but I would want to know where it was coach built and ensure it had a proper strengthened floor etc and also the mileage and condition on the van itself. I would also suggest you check out the 'day living' as it surely can't be much more than a cupboard.

however, if you are aware of all that and still happy and only have one horse, it's a cute little van. value wise, wouldn't probably be far wrong, IF the cab/engine was in pretty good condition.

ladyt25

Visit site
Looks ok but only if you were wanting to carry one horse or two ponies in it. The payload would not be enough for two horses esp as it also has a small living.

If only ponies to travel then yes, nice little box.

Those little boxes are generally in demand so I wouldn't have thought it'd be that cheap as no exactly that old either.

alsxx

Visit site
Looks a nice little lorry but not too costly and I'd be worried as to why that is. I'd also worry about not being able to check it out thoroughly as buying through ebay. x

3Beasties

Visit site
Thanks for your comments.

I only have one 16.2hh and the other two are under 12.2hh so that wouldn't be so much of an issue. What I need is something that has the room for a 17.2hh as my horse is not a great traveler so the more room the better really. Again not to worried about the living as don't need any but I guess this could affect the overall weight of it right?

If it wasn't professionally coach built would you leave well alone?

It doesn't mention the engine size ether does it? My friend has a little lotry and it almost rolls backwards going up hills with a big pony in so I would be worried about this one. What size engine would be best for a lorry like this?

I am not buying/bidding on this one (to far away/can't view etc) it is just for general views on it as ideally I would want something like this that I can drive without doing a HGV test. Just trying to work out what I could get with my Budget
blush.gif

ladyt25

Visit site
We were looking at these recently as looking to upgrade our old 7.5T and my sister can't drive anything over 3.5T on her car licence (i can). However, after looking at them we realised we would be overweight and as my dad said later, the box would be constantly working at it's top limit power wise.

We decided to just go for a newer 7.5T box so we know we have the power and we know we can carry 2 horses without problem. Plus, you get more for your money!

If you can legally drive a 7.5T I would be more inclined to look for a 5/6T lorry if you didn't want anything big as they should have more payload allowance.

I saw this a while back (when we were looking). So, ok it isn't so pretty - although I think quite sweet, and I know nothing about Isuzus but I thought seemed a good deal for the price.

http://www.uk-horseboxes-for-sale.co.uk/...ox%20For%20Sale

Taffster

Visit site
I believe the weight carrying capacity would be not much more than 550 - 600kg, I have the 6.4tonne version of the same truck mine is stalled for 3 herringbone however width wise and height wise i would say it wouldnt carry much more than 16h I also have to really slant the partitions to give him plenty of room on the diagonal. If it is forward facing (sorry i have forgot what the add said) then there is only one way of getting the horse off and thats reversing out. That said it is a fantastic little box very easy to manouvre and reliable again the paintwork looks great but these boxes will fetch 7-8k so i would wonder why they would let it go so cheaply if it is as described??

3Beasties

Visit site
Legally I can only drive a 3.5t and I don't think it is worth me doing a HGV test as I don't think I would be comfortable driving anything bigger.

sarahs

Visit site
There is no way that would carry one 17.2hh - let alone 2 !
its only 7ft wide, if you think about what size rug your horse takes - you then need to add on room for the neck and head !

3Beasties

Visit site
OMG I didn't even think of that
blush.gif
, good point! Charlie is a 6'6" rug so might be a bit of a squeeze for him. Could always chop his neck of though!
tongue.gif

ladyt25

Visit site
To be honest, if you seriously were considering getting a wagon I think you'd be as well to invest in either getting your LGV or HGV licence - HGV gives you more options but if you're never likely to drive or want to drive anything bigger than 7.5T then I guess no point having it.

I think realistically though those little 3.5T boxes, although lovely, are really only suitable for ponies or one horse.

I love our 7.5T, they do not feel huge to drive at all once you get used to it. I'd much prefer driving a lorry to a trailer in all honesty - nice and stable!

Taffster

Visit site
Thats not quite as big an issue as made out they wont be fixed partitions you would have them slanted! My other wagon was only 7'10" wide but would take anything