What do you wear?

WithoutWings

Visit site
So, I'm moving yards from one that is a 20 minute drive from my house about to one that is about 400 Metres down the road so my daily routine is going to change dramatically considering that I am now in the situation where I am capable of going fully DIY and being able to see to him on a morning * instead of just looking after him of an afternoon or evening with my parents there (poor folks dragged into the horsey abyss) I am now fully responsible for him as of a morning and afternoon which raises the question:
'What on earth do I wear on a morning?'
I am not going to be down there for a lot of time on a morning -probably not even five minutes in summer (turned out 24/7) to check on him and 20 minutes in the winter to turn him out, pick out his feet and give him a quick brush off, leaving mucking out until I'm home from school. What would you far more experienced people recommend? I was thinking wellies, jogging bottoms (or casual 'wouldn't normally be seen dead in' bottoms of that ilk) and one of my many 'wouldn't normally be seen dead in' hand-me-down tops that have been thrust upon me by the elder females of the family (oosh I am a cheeky git) and a jacket to suit the weather. Does this seem reasonable, slobbish or impractical? Any 'slip on' clothing you would recommend?

*I am one of those ineffably lucky teenagers with a horse so I couldn't 'do' mornings due to having to commute for 45 minutes via bus on a morning just to get to my school

P.S. I don't know about you, but jodhpurs are never quick or easy to get on especially when you are in a rush!

R.E. The time I posted this, my sleeping patterns are erratic at best but I can and will get up on a morning.

Equi

Visit site
Put your unifrom on, track bottoms over and wellies (yep tuck your skirt in) and a puffer jacket over yor blazer. Just get used to being called the smelly horse girl lol

in summer...hoenstly i wouldnt bother going there.

Lolo

Visit site
Do not wear your uniform. It will smell.

How long is your journey to school? We used to get up early, cycle to the yard (3 mile bike ride), do the chores and then cycle home, shower and change. We left at 8.20 so getting up at 6am was plenty of time. My sister and I alternated days.

If you can't do that, I'd pack my uniform in my bag, go up in joggers/ t-shirt, then take baby wipes and freshen up before putting on uniform. Leave your horsey stuff behind, and pick it up on the way home. Or have a sports bag for it and stick it in your locker and spray febreze at it! Horses stink, and no one else wants that joy!

Mongoose11

Visit site
I'd be in PJ bottoms, welly boots and a hoodie. I would complete the look with a 7 hour bed bashed pony tail and yesterday's mascara.

Evie91

Visit site
I wouldn't wear pjs to the yard (but I am much older than you) - I also think it's unhygienic so wear stuff you'd wear in bed to the yard, but then again I get changed out of my horse stuff before I sit down in my own house!
Think your idea of joggers and tops, is good. Easy and quick to put on. It doesn't matter what you look like, you're only like to get dirty anyway.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
in summer...hoenstly i wouldnt bother going there.

*Slaps Equi with a wet fish*

Full DIY - she needs to check the horse twice a day minimum, all year IMO.

I always put a long coat over my clothes and wellies on when it was coat weather. In the summer I gave myself time to change incase I get slobbered on, as it's too hot to wear a coat. It's always wise to give yourself extra time anyway, not just to change if required, but incase you find a problem (maybe just a small cut that needs cleaning) and need to sort it there and then.

Evie91

Visit site
Mongoose - I know, I'm just a bit OCD about cleanliness and hygiene! Someone once joked (and it was a joke) that I'm happy when my house smells of bleach ( we were talking about when people's houses smell of dogs, dirt etc) and I took it as a huge compliment!!! It wasn't meant as such!

Evie91

Visit site
I also agree with faracat - you need to be visiting twice a day.
A yard owner I know, this is a huge bug bear of hers, that when a horse is on 24/7 turnout owners use it as an excuse to barely come up and see them.

JustKickOn

Visit site
In winter. I usually go straight from the yard to work. I wear jods or trackie bottoms, shirt, jumper, coat and boots. I take my work stuff in a bag and then change in the tack room and do hair and make up in the car. I wash my hair the night before and then put it up under a hat so it doesn't stink of mare's wee!

Don't wear your uniform, it will stink, plus if you do end up slipping over etc, it will get dirty.

I don't go up in the morning in summer, BUT I have someone who will feed and check for me, and if they can't do it, then if will go up.

Horses need checking twice a day minimum, esp if DIY.

Arizahn

Visit site
Jeans tucked into wellies, with whatever top best suits the weather. Jeans are very practical; hard wearing and provide a degree of protection from thorns etc :)

Bobbly

Visit site
Just got to get up earlier, cycle to yard, do jobs, cycle home, change and go! Welcome to the teenage twilight world I think we've all been there at some point for the love of our horse? :)

lauraea

Visit site
when I was 12, 13 yrs old my pony lived literally a 30 second walk from my house - he wasn't at a livery yard but in a field we rented with only my friend of the same age's horse as company. we used to go up before school everyday to check on them in our uniform, then straight off to school.... that was until 1 winter when I found him on the other side of his (electric) fencing and in the neighbours garden!! after getting myself caught on various types of fencing, thorn bushes and deep mud trying to get him back, I never wore my uniform up there in a morning again!! jeans, wellies, a warm hoodie (weather dependant) should all be fine, and if you have somewhere to change before then take your uniform up with you, otherwise i'd be going home, having a shower THEN getting ready for school

3Beasties

Visit site
I'd wear my PJ's with waterproof trousers and coat over the top. That's about all I can manage first thing in the morning :biggrin3:

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I'm 26 & still wear PJ bottoms and either vest top, hoody & coat (or some combination of all 3 depending upon the weather!) complete with country boots in the morning. I don't wear PJs to bed, but they are comfy & cosy & at silly o'clock in the morning - I could care less!

rara007

Visit site
If you're just checking as long as you don't stand in wee in the same shoes :p I doubt you'll smell, but then I embraced being the smelly horse girl at school- it was the shoes that were the killer :p

Stormynight

Visit site
My yard is in the way to work, so I've always gotten myself ready for work, (inclusive of uniform, hair and face), thrown a thick, waterproof winter coat over the top, a pair of muck boots with trousers tucked in, and waterproof trousers over the top. Neddy is on shavings so the smell isn't horrific, for a quick throw-out in the morning it's never been an issue. Strip outer layer, into the car, and off to work.

In regards to summer, I think it depends what type of environment your horse is kept in. I check once daily, but he is on a very busy livery yard where people are in and out of his field all day long. I know I'd have a phonecall if there was anything amiss.

MissJessica

Visit site
Summer, I head to the yard in my work uniform with riding boots, wellies on just to check them over in the field. Can even keep this footwear at the yard if you walk to school via the yard, I personally drive to the yard and keep coat and boots in my car, sort horses change shoes, remove coat and wash hands as I immediately arrive at work and nobody knows.
Apart from the odd day when I have hay in my hair!
Then Winter, little bit more difficult, in an ideal world I'd head to the yard in trackies, do jobs then home to change but I have to go to the yard via work....so I go to the yard with hair and make up done for the day, scruffy clothes and get changed into my work uniform at the yard, again was hands straight away! Only issue I have is the occasional whiff of horse wee throughout the day, almost die of shame when this happens but my horse is worth it!! Oh to win the lottery and have my geegee at home! xx

noodle_

Visit site
The teenagers at my yard frequently turn up in pyjamas or onsies . Annoyingly, they still look absolutely lovely.:)

I'm afraid im 26... and i still do this :D

Trackies, wellies and a hoody.... have spares and be organised to wash/turnaround... or spare sets of pj's [ i have 6 pairs of pj's...]

When im uni/work/horse/social life - i have clothes in the back of my car...I think my previous yard has seen my arse on a number of occasions but ive gone past the point of caring

good luck - be organised - and plan ahead :D