What do your dogs do on the yard?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Horses are at home or on a farmers land. I don’t pay the farmer for my dogs to use his land so they don’t. At home I am either engaging with the horses or the dogs-the dogs do not get to roam around without me being with them. They do have a 1/4 acre securely fenced pen within my property but they aren’t allowed to just roam about willy nilly. I lost a dog once through doing that, never forgiven myself and that was after nearly 2 years of it all being hunky dory (she ran into a busy road probably after a pheasant)

Orchard14

Visit site
IMO dogs need to be on leads on livery yards - I’ve just left a yard where the owner has 6 or 7 working dogs roaming about the place. Not only was this a giant pain as they would run around my stables whilst I was trying to muck out, bringing us sticks to throw and not leaving liveries alone, jumping up, dog poo everywhere, pissing on the hay and generally being bloody annoying - but despite being well used to the other farm animals, one evening they just completely savaged a pack of ducks, chickens and 2 lambs even though they’d been fine around birds and small animals for years. They also need close supervision, the dogs may well be fine with the horses but doesn’t necessarily mean the horses will always be fine with them - horses and dogs don't mix after all you are putting predator and prey together, not to mention the harm from wormers and odd bits laying around. Recipe for disaster if you ask me but that’s just my 2 cents

Last edited:

Karran

Visit site
Mrs Spaniel comes to yard with me. She ignores the other dogs and mooches about close to hand, sitting in the stable eating poo or playing with a piece of straw.
If it's just me at the yard I'll let her loose in school with me while I school (never jumping) she chases after us, yelling. It doesn't phase my mare at all but of course I put her in the car if anyone else is going to share the space with us. Stopping mid-season if needed.
There is one route where she comes out on a hack and again trots along close behind (keeping quiet! We forget shes there sometimes!)
I would love to take her further afield but the idea of the mare spooking and getting tangled in a lead or her not being able to get out of the way scares me.
And of course if she goes to the loo anywhere, I pick it up as soon as I spot it or its bought to my attention, but I do try to encourage her to go in the garden at home before we leave.

madamebonnie

Visit site
I won't get into the debate of dogs on livery yards but the question seems to be concerned with dogs eating things. I do know a few people who have put muzzles on their spaniels and labs whilst walking or hanging around at yards as they have been in habits of eating nasty things.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Probably an unpopular view around here but I agree with your OH. It just reminds me of soft play where parents abandon their children to cause havoc and beat each other up while they drink coffee and gossip and play on their phones lol.

Without wishing to offend anyone, I have no idea why you would take a dog somewhere and just leave it to its own devices, kind of defeats the point of dog ownership for me. Having said that I do have a breed that are not given to safe self-entertainment, if they can do something mad/bad/dangerous when you are not looking, they will :p

Yup.
I have own yard, used to have liveries and before that breakers etc. my dog(s) have always been shut away there, with the exception years ago of my shepherd who howled the place down if shut in, so went on a long chain at the end of the yard.

Currently, my little one is shut in hay store at all times I have anything out in paddocks or on the yard, its for her safety.
When poo picking, I have her with me up the fields BUT the fuzzies are all popped in for the 15/20 mins it takes. I take her for a quick walk across the lane before or after I ride. She's only loose when I can give her my total attention.
Its just ingrained for me to keep her safe.

ps: Having ridden at a friends the other week in her field, I have a HUGE objection to picking compressed dog shit out of my equines feet! Yuk doesn't come into it! Mine doesn't poop in the field, if she did I'd clear it immediately!

Last edited:

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Have own yard and still don't let the dogs wander unsupervised, they sit in the car until the yard jobs are done then get to come out in the paddock when I can give them my full attention. Not fair on dogs or horses to do otherwise IMO, too many dangers involved. It doesn't mean that they never mix, just only when I am right there keeping an eye on proceedings and distracting the dog-eating Shetland

I cannot imagine anything worse than a yard full of other people's unsupervised dogs and would avoid that kind of set-up like the plague.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
When I first got the spaniel and was also new to horse owning and a bit stupid I took him to the yard and let him wander about. It didn't take long until he was on the lead!! He used to steal carrots and sponges mostly, then he snuck past me into the indoor school when I turned the horses out in there and proceeded to scare everyone (2 horses and me) stupid! That was him on the lead!!

The sprollie managed to get stood on by a horse while on his lead so after that I mostly stopped taking them and was very careful about where I tied them up when I did. Stopped taking them altogether while on full livery as wasn't at the yard as long. But they do come with me sometimes now. It's a bit boring and cold for them but they enjoy not being left at home and getting attention from people at the yard.

Thinking ahead to maybe getting horses at home I still won't be letting the dogs wander around the horses... Will probably organise things to keep dog spaces and horse spaces entirely separate.

Worst thing with unsupervised dogs on yards I've been on is definitely the shit, especially in the hay! Horrible.

Goldenstar

Visit site
My dogs have free run of the yard and school and fields but it’s a private yard .
My groom brings her dogs to work and everybody gets on fine .
All our horses hunt or will hunt so having the horses dog proofed is important .
My dog play in the school while I am riding and my dog follows me round and round while I train in the paddock .
It’s good for everybody to be laid back .
However I do accept there’s an element of risk in all this .
On the nail tbh it’s a just a stupid doggy accident and he’s as likely to eat something silly in your house as he was to eat it at the yard.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Whenever my small dog has to come with me to the yard as I can’t leave her alone all day, then she is never ever allowed to roam free. I have her on a hands free waist lead while I potter around doing some chores so she can’t go out of my sight! Or I put her in her dog box tucked beside the stable- solid to protect her, and means I know where she is! When I’m riding she is either in the car or in her box in the stable with the door closed... dogs and horses definitely don’t always mix and there are so many things to go wrong with unsupervised dogs on yards. Most of the time she stays at home.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I don't let my dog roam around my yard, I'd love to but I can't trust her with the horses and dog and/or horses will end up getting hurt.

One of the things I hated about the livery yard I was on previously was the YO's dogs running free. The collie used to herd the horses when you were leading them, it was dangerous for both, and the terrier ran riot. There was dog shit everywhere, often on your hay, it was revolting.

kirsty00

New User
Visit site
Yeah I tend to agree, dogs on the yard, including mine, can be problematic for other horse owners. My own horses are used to my dogs, but wary of others, therefore I respect other people by leaving my dogs at home. I've learned this the hard way from experience!

twiggy2

Visit site
If I had my own yard with just me my dogs would be with me but the yard would be dog fenced as would hay and bedding storage, the fields also would be dog proof, there would also be a kennel or 2.
Dogs on public yards are a pain and at greater risk, I hated dealing with other people's dogs/shit/peed on hay and rowdy behaviour.
I did not go to the yard to babysit other people's dogs
One farriers dog used to get out of the van, shit in the hay and get back in, not my farrier but I did point it out to him 3 times in three seperate visits before we fell out.

meleeka

Visit site
My dogs have never pood in the hay. I’m quite surprised at that. Mine goes when she gets out of the car and I clear it up.

Blackcob I also have a dog eating Shetland so that makes sure horses and dogs don’t mix! Thinking about It I’m lucky that my dogs have always been very respectful of horses and wouldn’t choose to go anywhere where there is one. They wouldn’t come into the yard area at all if there were horses about, but would wait outside until it’s clear. If I were on a yard It would probably be easier to leave them in the car and walk them later.

paisley

Visit site
Do they have free roam?

My yard is excellent, we all have our own dogs and they wonder around doing as they wish without any issues, all friends and play (can be 9 dogs there sometimes at once) I have a lab and a young spaniel, they never go far and are really well behaved in general. They wonder around doing their own thing but stay within the yard, while I muck out, do haynets. I do keep a eye on them but its hard to keep my eyes on them constantly while doing 2 stables every morning.

They do sometimes eat the odd but of poop and left over feed but to different to the rest of the dogs.

My cocker was sick last night and puked up a nail (horse shoe nail). Thankfully he seems fine, hes eating, pooing and weeing fine and his usual nutty self. Going to keep a very close eye on him for a few days but its worried me a bit.

Other half has said they should be shut in the tack room at all times, because its to dangerous to have them roaming if I can't constantly watch them as they can eat anything. Seems a bit over the top to me.. specially while all their friends roam. I have no idea what would convince him to eat a nail. Hes never eaten anything apart from poo and food in his life.

To add - This is a very small yard, every owner has dogs and we all get on very well. They respect the horses and are all well behaved.

If you had a whippet or any pointy-nosed type, this wouldn't even be a question ;)

They would be bubble-wrapped with extra cotton wool layers, indoors, in a room with no corners or anything sharp.

And you still wouldn't trust them not to get the vets bill of the day.

Do whatever works for you, and you feel is an acceptable risk, its always going to be a different answer for everyone :)

paddy555

Visit site
. My gelding was shod in my stable. I give the dogs some hoof which they sit and wait for .

I think it is up to everyone to do what they think best with their loose dogs. If everyone is happy and things like wormer under control I don't see a problem.

My last BC (a failed sheepdog as she was scared of sheep) was a dream. I used to open the door in the morning, let her out and off she would go and come back a couple of hours later. She had access to our wood and land and would just wander around and take care of herself. My GSD is either shut in or with me. Every dog is different. What suits one breed and set up doesn't suit another.

re the quote above that would worry me more than loose dogs. I trim my own horses and never, ever allow the dog to eat the hoof trimmings. Looking at the ends of them they are really sharp and I imagine what they could do in a dog's intestines. I remember very many years ago a farrier letting his own dog eat the hoof parings and I believe it died. It was treated at the vet's etc but I don't think it made it. I was happily handing out hoof parings until then now I think it is a risk.

twiggy2

Visit site
My last lurcher ate some hoof trimmings as all my dogs before her had and she punctured th back of her throat in 2 places and lacerated along the full length under her tongue.
It all ended up infected and she had to have xrays to diagnose what was going on, the holes were big enough you could poke your fingers into them.
No more hoof trimmings for my crew.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
The Sprollie spewed an enormous pile of foul smelling green gunk under the sofa after being allowed to eat hoof trimmings... no more hoof trimmings for my two either!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I don't think that free rein dogs should be allowed on livery yards, I've not been on one that does.

I'm quite surprised, however, at how many folk with their own land don't allow their dogs mix with their horses. I'm pretty risk adverse but our dogs have always had the run of our small acreage. The horses and dogs coexist well, though I'm careful with any new introductions in case of trouble. Because our whole boundary is fenced off to keep out the s0dding wild rabbits, it also makes a good JRT proof fence. We'd have to raise it higher, though, if we get a bigger dog in the future.

Scarlett

Visit site
OP our yard/dog set up is similar.

Small yard, not mine but our 4 horses, our ex horse who is now owned by our friend and our YO's horse.

YO's have made the yard secure for their own, now gone, dogs and liveries have always been free to bring their dogs up. Our dogs get on well with other dogs and previous liveries have always been sensible - if two dogs don't get on for some reason then the dogs get put away when they are there together. Currently our dogs are the only regular dogs at the yard and thus have the run of the place. We pick up their poo so no one stands in it and put them away when people are visiting for any reason. They stay away from the horses, know not to run in the school or into occupied stables. My staffie x boxer was nervous around horses when we got him, so we worked on it. The horses don't egt tied up outside due to yard set up/space so they are in the field, in the school or in their stables, all places the dogs don't go. They love coming up and are at the yard running loose for 2-3 hours 5-6 times a week. The humans who visist the yard are our friend, sharers and YO and they all adore the dogs so we have no issues there.

Prior to this we were at another dog friendly yard and prior to that we had a house on a yard so oldest dog (9yo boxer x springer) has only ever known yard life. Younger dog is a rescue but has adapted really well. It's lovely to see them out in the empty fields playing together or looking for sticks. They never disappear, they are too people orientated for that, but stay outside the stable/yard area or lie in the barn on the hay. The older one loves toys so he has a few at the yard he carried about proudly.

OP, dogs can eat bad things wherever they go so whilst the nail is unfortunate and a worry it's not, imo, a reason to stop a situation that clearly works well for you in other ways. I've heard of dogs eating ridiculous, dangerous things in their own home but it's not a reason to shut them away there imo.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have my own yard and land, and always keep the dogs in if we are doing anything with horses. I don't want to be distracted by having to look out for both dogs and equines, and I have one terrier who is morbidly fascinated with mule-baiting. We've had other dogs who have been no problem, but it's just safer and easier to keep them out of the equation.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I don't think that free rein dogs should be allowed on livery yards, I've not been on one that does.

I'm quite surprised, however, at how many folk with their own land don't allow their dogs mix with their horses. I'm pretty risk adverse but our dogs have always had the run of our small acreage. The horses and dogs coexist well, though I'm careful with any new introductions in case of trouble. Because our whole boundary is fenced off to keep out the s0dding wild rabbits, it also makes a good JRT proof fence. We'd have to raise it higher, though, if we get a bigger dog in the future.

My current ponies are dog proof but also won't take a lot of nonsense, both dogs are well mannered with the ponies, ducks and poultry but they are two young males, I am happier knowing they are safely fenced in an area where they can't eat whatever they want or get into mischief. It also doubles as my arena!

I've been on livery yards where dogs peed all over the haylage and dumped in the tack rooms and hay barns, grim.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Just a question, how do people know where their dog poos or where to go and lift it, if they don't see them doing it?

My own dog was raised with horses, his breeder kept them and I was always very sure to make sure he was introduced to all sorts of livestock. However as an adult with decades of generations of prey drive purposefully bred into him, if one runs, he will chase it, and I love him, so I don't want him to die from a kick to the head, so I try to prevent that scenario from happening in the first place.

Scarlett

Visit site
Just a question, how do people know where their dog poos or where to go and lift it, if they don't see them doing it?

Our poo in the same spots so we go looking. Normally they poo as soon as we get there so we see them do it. One of us does a poo sweep and goes round looking, thankfully the 2 spots they poo in are both areas where horses and people don't normally go so if we don't pick a poo up straight away it's not the end of the world and we just make sure we get it before we go. Although the dogs are loose they stay in our vicinity so we do usually see them. OH is very careful and tries to make sure it's all picked up as soon as possible.

Our dogs are raw fed and have pretty acceptable dry poos that break down and degrade very quickly so they are a little less offensive to people than a previous livery who's dog stunk and left liquid poo every where (lovely subject!)

The dogs don't go in the fields with the horses in by themselves and if in the fields playing it's because we are out on the yard and can see them.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site

I'd love to have my dog free in the field with the horses, but she is fear aggressive towards them, and I don't want her to get kicked, or my horses to get bitten. I'm trying to get her used to them and accepting of them, but it's simply not worth the risk at the moment. It's a real shame as she loves running round the field, but I only allow her to be free when the horses are shut in.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Tiddlypom, my current mutt has no horse sense at all (adult rescue) and will walk in front or under anything on the yard, and being partially sighted she doesn't spot me quickly enough.
She has an open crate in the hay barn, v happy to go in it whilst I'm busy and it's much cooler there in summer. A half door from an old stable allows light and air in, and ponies out (if they go free range in the yard)
I also have a dog/hen/pheasant chaser of a mini shetland, although I can now walk dog and her out of the yard together, no way would I risk dappy dog being footballed in a paddock.
Friends dogs have to be on leads if they visit.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
We've luckily never had a horse chasing dog, or a dog chasing horse (barring targeting uninvited strays, which are soon seen off), so ours have all been able to coexist quite well. I can see that we'd have to do things differently if we get an incompatible mix of resident animals in the future.