What does "fun" mean to you

Mildlander

Visit site
As per the title, if you read "fun" as part of the description in a horse for sale ad, what does that mean it you?
To me it means not a plod, something with a bit about them but not too spooky/strong/not going to tank off.
Probably not suitable for a novice but good for a reasonably competent rider.

That's my take or am I misinterpreting? Does it mean something different to others?

Btomkins

Visit site
I’d interpret it as something that is forwards and game for most activities and has character or small quirks. Perhaps with some extra flair or ‘bouncyness’ but not nasty. Probably not suitable for a novice but an average, competent rider should be fine.

So pretty much in line with what you’ve said I think.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
As per the title, if you read "fun" as part of the description in a horse for sale ad, what does that mean it you?
To me it means not a plod, something with a bit about them but not too spooky/strong/not going to tank off.
Probably not suitable for a novice but good for a reasonably competent rider.

That's my take or am I misinterpreting? Does it mean something different to others?
Depends who says it.

A trustworthy person means 'not a world beater but forward and adaptable enough to take into to most scenarios & give it a go'.

A dodgy dealer means 'if this tries to kill you I am going to blame your riding ability'.

Auslander

Visit site
We use two definitions of fun on my yard. Type 1 fun is when you're looking forward to it, you have a great time, and you come back feeling brilliant. Type 2 fun is when you are terrified at the prospect, you go and do it anyway, and don't die, and you realise that in hindsight, it was actually good fun.
I think the same definition applies to horses.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I think it depends what you want to do too. For me, it's a horse that is happy, understands what is being asked of them and enjoys the job they are being asked to do, whatever that might be.

I have the best fun hacking my horse (and taking part in things like Trec, jumping & pleasure rides) as he positively radiates fun and enjoyment whilst doing it. He'd make me feel positively glum if I wanted to progress up the levels in dressage as that's not his cup of tea.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
In ads I think it is very open to interpretation, but I regard Lottie as great fun because she is both very game and foward, while not being at all spooky or silly. Riding a horse that you have to micro-manage or who you feel tense on, is no fun at all. Nor (for me) is one that likes conserving energy wherever possible!

Amber was fun to compete, but very much not fun at all to hack.

Caol Ila

Visit site
We use two definitions of fun on my yard. Type 1 fun is when you're looking forward to it, you have a great time, and you come back feeling brilliant. Type 2 fun is when you are terrified at the prospect, you go and do it anyway, and don't die, and you realise that in hindsight, it was actually good fun.

You beat me to it. I was going to post the Fun Scale, which comes from the climbing/mountaineering world. It's easily applicable to horses too.

There are a few variations.

The Washington Post worked out who invented the Fun Scale. https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2022/03/24/what-is-type-2-fun/

Last edited:

Rowreach

👀
Visit site

Yup, I either say "That looks like fun 😃" or "That looks like fun 😶" depending what it's like 🙂

Sealine

Visit site
To me 'fun' means a forward going good allrounder who is reasonably sensible and will have a go at anything. It should be easy to handle and take out and about without any drama. It should be able to hack anywhere alone or in a group and do low level competitions. I would expect a fun horse to be too much for a complete novice and I wouldn't expect it to be a competition horse.

'Fun' is my number 1 criteria for a horse :)

cold_feet

Visit site
Some of my best moments have been type 2 😂😂

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Agree with others that it’s totally open to interpretation unfortunately… I think one person’s fun ride can mean sheer terror for someone else (or sheer boredom!).

I sell riding holidays and spend a lot of time reading what sort of horse people would like to ride… some will ask for a lively or spirited horse (or a “fun” horse) but if allocated one, they are unnerved. Of course it also works both ways and some horses are simply a bit dull for the tastes of some riders.

A fun horse to me is one which is forward-going, with some life and personality, but which allows you to relax and feel safe at the same time. But then again, my idea of “forward-going” is probably very different to some.

I realise this wasn’t very helpful, apologies 😂

AntiPuck

Visit site
I would assume that a 'fun' horse was a push-button type of horse, as it's not fun for most people having to deal with a horse that is "too fast", "too slow", "too spooky", etc.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I’d describe Mim as fun. She’s always up for an adventure. She is happy to see you, happy to go out, happy to school. She can be a bit bouncy and snorty but that is the absolute worst it ever gets. She brings a smile to your face.

She’s also described as fun, as she is absolutely not a sports horse 🤣 She’s a leisure horse, and she’s great at that.

Panda2000

Visit site
Fun means a horse is forward going sometimes cheeky and might have a few quirks but nothing nasty and I agree with the other not suitable for a novice but a competent rider would be fine. The type of horse you have fun on.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I describe my horse as fun and she is exactly as you describe.
She doesn't buck, rear or nap. She jumps anything I point her to. She likes to have a bit of speed. She just makes me laugh in general.

I can put a beginner on her hacking or in the school but she needs an experienced rider now and then to let her get the tickle out from her hooves.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Agree with others that it’s totally open to interpretation unfortunately… I think one person’s fun ride can mean sheer terror for someone else (or sheer boredom!).

I sell riding holidays and spend a lot of time reading what sort of horse people would like to ride… some will ask for a lively or spirited horse (or a “fun” horse) but if allocated one, they are unnerved. Of course it also works both ways and some horses are simply a bit dull for the tastes of some riders.

A fun horse to me is one which is forward-going, with some life and personality, but which allows you to relax and feel safe at the same time. But then again, my idea of “forward-going” is probably very different to some.

I realise this wasn’t very helpful, apologies 😂
I'm curious as to how lively or spirited they are? I hear these terms and think too much horse for me (i rode my friends horse in a lesson and he threw some shapes in canter but when you ask him to slow and stop he does so that sort of lively i can cope with).

blitznbobs

Visit site
Uncomplicated , can stick it on the wagon and go out for the day where it stands nicely til you have had your cup of tea and got your number etc not necessarily a world beater but you will get round and not feel like your only alive by good luck and the grace of god

m.l.c coloured

Visit site
Fun as in you can go out and have fun enjoying what ever you are doing or fun if you have drunk 3 bottles of wine to get courage up and didn't die in the process 🤣

Reactions: tda

Skib

sites.google.com
Having fun for me was totally different. I rode out with a strict Spanish RI one afternoon and he told me that his job was to teach me. Not for me to have fun. He took me to a meadow on my fav horse and she cantered a figure of 8 for me - trot step when changing leads in the centre. He was so taken aback he said I could do what I wanted for the rest of our ride and I said (because I didnt ride much as a child) that I wanted to be a Pony Club child and have fun.

My present share is not fun. She is absolutely serious. She knows her job is to bring me safe home again after an hour and a quarter, and she does just that. But it would be fun to play pony club games, if any RS ever offered me the chance.

Boulty

Visit site
Goes when you put your leg on… may or may not stop when asked! Game for most stupid ideas the average rider can think of and will partake in said daft activities with a smile on its face. This may or may not be at the speed the rider asked for!