What Does "not a novice ride " mean to you ?

WindyStacks

Visit site
In years gone by I'd assume it meant rears vertical or bolts into next county.

These days I ONLY look for "not novice ride" - could mean naps with current rider or current rider bit off more than they can chew.

I always thought my mare was a novice ride - until I got pregnant and couldn't get anyone to ride her for love nor money.

Ps in today's litigious world and a billion and one numpties over-estimating their abilities - may just be caution on the part of the seller.

smja

Visit site
Depends on the context - if in an ad, I'd be fairly wary but if I liked the horse in other aspects I'd still ring up the seller to ask why. If said in conversation, with an explanation of why, then often no big deal.

Some horses aren't for a novice because they need the reassurance that a more experienced rider would give unthinkingly...others are lunatics.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I genuinely think the term is completely done to death these days though - every other advert is not suitable for novices, makes me wonder who writes some of them.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Not a novice ride can mean many different things but one thing it does always mean the owner does not want to sell the horse to a novice .
So that's really all a novice needs to know .

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Would say that for mine too BUT she is perfect 90% of the time never strong, ridden in a snaffle, always, she just looks and spooks especially in season.

So to OP ask why if you like the look of something, it might not be a confidence denting thing, just a manageable quirk you never know!

Yes definitely agree, OP if you like the look of the horse just give them a ring and ask why it's not a novice ride.

H is also ridden in a snaffle and is never strong but he needs a switched on rider that is ready to react as soon as he starts backing off else as I've learnt the hard way he'll have dropped his shoulder and spun in the blink of an eye. Strangely I've actually reached a point where I'm gaining confidence the more I deal with his behaviour but I imagine he'd be too much for a nervous novice.

Burmilla

Visit site
That the horse is unsuitable for a rider who is not competent, calm and balanced to do what the horse is good at doing.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
That it needs a rider, not a passenger,

This! Well put STRIKER.

I have sold one horse that was truly a novice ride. Funnily enough I sold it to my husband as true novice ride horses are worth their weight in gold. To me a Novice ride horse could be a kick along type, but I am talking a horse with some talent, who seems to have also a sense of responsibility, and will fill in the gaps where the rider does not ride, but is a passenger.

With my other horses I have never put "not novice ride" but have weeded out the unsuitable people on the phone before they have visited. I guess if I sold a lot I may include it in the advert just to save time!!!!

Steorra

Visit site
Can mean such a range of things so I'd proceed with caution if I liked the horse. These former share horses were advertised as not novice rides for totally different reasons:

- a warmblood mare with exquisite manners, but big and athletic and rather sensitive.

- a very forward-going Arab.

- a pony who bucked when excited and wasn't great with large vehicles, but safe as houses in the school.

- a sweetheart whose owner didn't want her to be ridden on busy village roads by a beginner.

I guess I'd agree with the label but none were lunatics or more than a competent hobby rider could deal with.

Pigeon

Visit site
To be honest, if I read that in an advert, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. If they elaborate - "can be spooky so not suitable for novices" or "can be strong hence not novice ride" - that is one thing, but as a stand alone sentence, to me, it equals "it's a nutter".

If it's a competition horse or youngster, it's not really something you should have to put...

With the overinflated egos - 'not a novice ride' tends to only encourage them. It always puts me off too when they say 'it's a COMPETITION HORSE, so not a novice ride' when it's 14 and doing like BE90... Makes me think the owner is up their own bum :p

I wouldn't describe mine as a novice ride at all and it doesn't bother me, but equally I wouldn't go look at one that had been described as 'not a novice ride'. Partially because I hate strong horses and that tends to be a way of describing them...

Last edited:

HashRouge

Visit site
That I probably don't want to ride it :eek:

Although that said I work with showjumpers and although not a rider I have to hack them. They are definitely not novice riders and I really really don't enjoy it!!!

Tern

Visit site
My Welsh D was advertised as 'not a novice ride' and that she is - she's spooky, hot headed and difficult also very green. Depends on every individual to be honest.

Spotsrock

Visit site
Needs some education or firm direction, maybe can nap spook jog or throw a happy buck but nothing terrible. Might just b very sensitive to leg, seat or reins.

I did see a very novice girl who was looking for a horse for a real beginner friend (spell disaster anyone?) And had all ads stating 'must be not novice ride' so not sure what she thought it meant!

Tobiano

Visit site
Agree that this can mean a range of things - but also agree OP that if you have some nerves (as I do!) its best to avoid anything that says not novice ride. I would personally also avoid those that say they need a competition home or suit ambitious teenager!! I suspect these terms are relatively interchangeable in many cases.

Theocat

Visit site
I'd assume "not novice ride" to mean the horse needs confident, competent riding.

I do like it when people say "no novices" because I interpret that to mean the horse is sane and safe but might take the mick / owners don't want to sell to a novice home.

"Not novice ride", for me, means the horse is the issue. "No novices" means the rider is the issue.

I'm not sure this "system" is widely agreed with, though :p

kerrieberry2

Visit site
I think that this means, something that is quirky or something that wouldn't be happy just being a happy hacker, something that wants to be out there doing events etc!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Not sure what I'd call mine. He is quite lazy in the school and doesn't react if you get unbalanced jumping but out hacking alone is very spooky and would turn round and return home if allowed. Hacking in company he can get strong if it's a fast hack but as can he if alone but if slow hack mooches along on snaffle. Jumping he is v spooky and will stop if there is scary filler, will go on wrong stride sometime but sometimes not. He also can be tricky in the stable and spin but doesn't do anything nasty.

I wouldn't call myself advanced, especially not jumping.

To be not a novice ride would mean "sharp."

minesadouble

Visit site
'Not a novice ride' can mean anything and wouldn't necessarily put me off. Having quite a few liveries at home now has taught me to understand that it can often mean complete numpty who would be lucky to ride a rocking horse cannot manage a perfectly rideable animal!!

JoannaC

Visit site
I wouldn't let it put me off as it could mean so many different things. My OH is learning to ride at the moment and is still very much a passenger although has good balance and is very quiet and confident. My friends Welshy is perfect as she happily just follows my horse and rarely spooks any more although could spook with the best of them when she was younger. My gelding has given people their confidence back after losing it but they were decent riders just had had an unfortunate experience so whilst he is safe I wouldn't risk my OH on him so he wouldn't be a novice ride even though I'd let most people ride him and they'd find him easy. I guess it depends on your definition of novice, to me it's someone still learning and not entirely balanced. My mare is definitely not a novice ride as she is very hot, sensitive and takes confidence from her rider but again with the right rider she is easy as you just sit quietly and don't have to do a lot so it really can mean such a variety of things that if everything else sounded right I'd at least go and have a look.

millies

Visit site
It depends on the horse/seller!

A 16.2 fit sports horse doing 2 star eventing, sj to a 1.20 or grand prix dressage, is probably not a novice ride but neither is it a dangerous nutcase.
A three year old just broken whatever/ recently ott tb are not novice rides, they need someone to teach them not the other way round! It depends how the ad is worded, and i find in 'not a novice ride' ads, a picture usualy tells me more.

The_snoopster

Visit site
I would see an advert with not for novices as a horse thats not for beginners or nervous riders. Plenty of good sane horses out there that could be classed as this, some horses just require a balanced rider who will not grip with their legs to keep balance. My mare is totally bombproof and safe and sane, however stick a beginner on her who kicked like I see some folks at a riding school and they maybe able to stop a mile down the road. She is not dangerous just very responsive and obedient to her aids, I think buyers need to just ask why the seller believes the horse to be not for a novice.

alainax

Visit site
I think what it means in in real terms, and how it is used in adverts varies dramatically.

Like saying " I am so happy with my new carpet I bought, its immaculate" and " carpet for sale, used for 5 years, but immacualte condition"

Both are totally differnt levels of immacualte.

For me to say " sure you can ride my horse, but he is not a novice ride, so no pony club kicks or yanking him in the gob and you will be fine " or " for sale, not novice ride" Could mean the latter is bonkers.

I see not novice ride when written in an advert as tuned to the moon, as mad as a hatter, but if your up for it will likely be blooming good fun if you've got your wits about you! And not as it should technically be, if in real terms, in just that it is a horse which is not suitable for novices.

Then it opens up the debate, well what is a novice?

whizzer

Visit site
I would describe my horse as not a novice ride simply because he's very foward going,can be quite strong,he's a TB so pretty fast as well when doing fast work in fields & can be a bit spooky. He's not malicious in any way,has never reared,never bucks. He will spin if he's spooking at something & does get his back up & do tiny 'broncs' when freshly clipped or if he enjoying himself but will pack in the silly behaviour when ridden foward. I love his silly moments but I expect he'd scare a nervous or novice person half to death!!!

PolarSkye

Visit site
I have a horse who is not suitable for novices . . . he isn't a nutter, he's just quirky and sensitive and doesn't trust easily . . . in the past I've let novice-y friends sit on him and have learned (the hard way) that he just doesn't like it and will put them on the deck. It's not personal - he's not nasty, it just isn't his job to look after someone who is unbalanced, doesn't keep a contact, tenses their seat, gets a little wobbly, gives him conflicting messages with legs/seat/hands, and generally isn't looking after HIM. But then he isn't for sale, and never will be . . . so it isn't an issue ;).

He looks after Z, and he looks after me . . . because he trusts us both.

Oh - and he's an absolute Christian on the ground - 99 percent of the time . . . but, like any horse really, will take the proverbial if he doesn't know where the boundaries are. I am not rough with him by any means, but I am firm when needed - and as a result he has lovely manners.

P

Last edited:

Equi

Visit site
I too am a very nervous rider and not a novice ride to me is a horse that needs someone with a bit of guts. I need a plod who is not going to do anything but walk at a very sloooooooooooow pace and trot and stop and canter and stop. I don't wan't anything more. So although, if i had to, i would be able to ride a proper horse, but i prefer a beginners. However i can't stand a horse that stops without being asked to, i HATE stops mid stride.

charlie76

Visit site
Having sold a couple of horses that were very straight forward, one was a tb horse who was so quiet and easy, however some one tried him and hacked him with another horse and when he got left behind he jogged to catch up. The rider was terrified! She said he was far too much for them and would need a more experience rider, this person had previously ' re trained race horses! '
So I can see why people advertise horses that prob are fine but have a personality as not a novice ride!

montanna

Visit site
Depends on the context.

If the ad was for a competition horse I would assume the horse to be too responsive/fit/hot for a novice. IE you couldn't put your gran/toddler on most GP dressage horses/showjumpers/4* eventers.

If the ad was for a OTTB I would probably assume it was a bit of a nut!

Fatonfreshair

Visit site
Some horses aren't for a novice because they need the reassurance that a more experienced rider would give unthinkingly...others are lunatics.

The quote above is what I would take it to mean - although I am sure some sellers would use it as a descriptor for a nutter as well if they could get away with it. We have advertised our pony as 'not a novice ride' because he needs reassurance as said above; he is looking to his rider for firm guidance and confidence but he does not rear or bolt, however, with a less experienced rider he quickly leans to take the proverbial! I also did not want him to go to an inexperienced home.

Luce85

Visit site
I think its subjective, our competition horses, i will always put not a novice ride or unsuitable for an amateur because they are used to high level competition and if someone with little confidence they'd have a field day! It doesnt mean they are dangerous, just that they are used to a rider who keeps them on their toes just as much as they do rider!!

For a all rounder kind of horse, i sometimes put it to defer the numptys that often try to be the next carl hester when they cannot work out what diagonal they are on or if the horse is on the right leg! I think all horses no matter how much of a saint it is, can have its quirks and the odd spook, if i was you OP I would ask what they mean by that, take someone experienced and have a look, you may find your horse of a lifetime! :)