What Does "not a novice ride " mean to you ?

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I don't think it means much really. I take it to mean it isn't suitable for someone who is right at the start of their learning and wants a kick-along plod. If I was advertising mine I'd say he wasn't a novice ride. However he is sweet, tries hard, is mostly obedient, has lovely paces and adores jumping. However, he is also sensitive, can be sharp, sometimes get himself in a tizz if he hasn't had enough work, at certain times of the year and when he's fit. A "novice" rider wouldn't know how to deal with that and I think it would be scary to them. If you argue and fight with him, he would then get worried and upset. So although I (average RC type rider, doing some low level BE) find him a clever, responsive, forward going ride, someone who hasn't been riding long wouldn't necessarily because I think that sort of rider would worry him. But put on your average RC person who can ride a decent DR test, jump around 90cm-1m and likes a whizzy pony type with something about him, and they'd love him.

skint1

Visit site
In my own humble opinion I think "Not a novice ride" is a horse that is green and needs consistent aids or a horse that isn't green won't put up with incorrect or fuzzy aids or rider nerves, or a horse that is responsive or sharp to the point that would see an unbalanced or nervous rider on the floor a lot. I wouldn't automatically assume the horse was rank in some way, but for myself personally I wouldn't even go and try it because I am a novice (and prone to nerves) rider :)

My horse is quite forward in her own way, loves a good canter and can take the bit and tank off being difficult to stop at times but she is the quintessential novice ride because she is honest, never bucks or rears or plunges, puts up with all kinds of novicey riding from me, is impervious to my confidence wobbles and doesn't react to other horses throwing themselves about and getting in a lather, and looks after me as best she can.

My TB gelding, he is a novice ride in the school on the flat but nowhere else and not near a jump of any kind!

My TB mare can take people for pony rides on a lead line all day but ask her to do anything she's not in the mood to do...not a novice ride

Last edited:

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
I guess you can intuit a lot about what it means from the pics with it. most of the horses I have bought for myself said 'not novice ride' in the advert and I am only a passably good rider who does in fact sometimes get nervy. But I have never had any serious issues with any of them. Teething troubles yes with two but serious issues not resolved after a month or so - no. My 'trick' is to buy from people less experienced than me, that's stood me in good stead so far. As their 'problem' is often my pleasure (say with a horse whose a bit too sharp). Out of the horses I have bought described as not novice ride two ran away with their owners, one snatched reins and went home, one spooked at EVERYTHING, and one was just too sharp and constantly over reacted to its owner and was always anxious. However none of these horse have ever presented their so called 'vice' to me - except the first one who did run off with me in the school a bit at first but turned out lovely in the end. The others though they have had these traits they have never presented as serious issues. BUT I would be unlikely to buy a horse described at Not Novice ride by someone more experienced than me - their idea of 'novice' might well be just about where I am at myself.

I once sold a horse as 'not novice ride' because he bucked - for fun really not evilly - he was bought by someone who was a better rider than me and though he did buck with them too they just laughed it off - where as I got upset.

sportsmansB

Visit site
It wouldn't put me off but the first question I would ask is what makes it not a novice ride?
One of the difficulties I have had selling horses before (and I don't sell lots by any means!) is that there are vast differences in perception of 'novice' - I would tend to assume that a novice is someone who doesn't ride into a consistent contact/outline, sit to a spook/bit of a buck, have an independent seat and steady hands, etc etc. Some people seem to think that if they can steer a schoolmaster round a course of fences and have done the biggest class at a riding school they are experienced riders...
Many quiet horses I have had don't understand being ridden in the school/jumped with the 'front door open'
To be honest in an ad I have described very quiet and vice free horses as not a novice ride just to ensure that I don't get essentially beginners showing up and scaring them...

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
It wouldn't put me off but the first question I would ask is what makes it not a novice ride?
One of the difficulties I have had selling horses before (and I don't sell lots by any means!) is that there are vast differences in perception of 'novice' - I would tend to assume that a novice is someone who doesn't ride into a consistent contact/outline, sit to a spook/bit of a buck, have an independent seat and steady hands, etc etc. Some people seem to think that if they can steer a schoolmaster round a course of fences and have done the biggest class at a riding school they are experienced riders...
Many quiet horses I have had don't understand being ridden in the school/jumped with the 'front door open'
To be honest in an ad I have described very quiet and vice free horses as not a novice ride just to ensure that I don't get essentially beginners showing up and scaring them...

This totally illustrates my point to you (an experienced rider and jumper) and novice is someone like me who can jump functionally OK and who has taught her own horses to jump from scratch BUT 'all' I can do is take the horse in a good calm forward rythem to the middle if the fence and then give them the freedom to get over it in the rein and seat. I can't adjust the stride to help the horse and your horses would probably feel like I was deserting them when I 'opened the front door' to let them jump. so i wouldn't buy a horse from you advertised as a 'not novice ride' BUT I might buy a horse from a riding school or an inexperienced rider advertised with the same 'tag'

windand rain

Visit site
It seems to mean different things to buyers than it does to sellers As a buyer although I have 50 years experience I might baulk at not novice ride description as a seller my babies newly backed and ready to go on would not be novice rides so although they are ridden by novices under supervision they may not be appropriate rides for a single owner to deal with. Best thing to do is phone and talk to the seller I despair of the constant texts and emails when a simple conversation could give you all the information you could possibly want

SadKen

Visit site
As someone who has lost confidence, not a novice ride means 'he will do something I won't like'. I discounted all ads which said that, and all ads where the pony was being ridden in a gag. I did still have plenty to see and none of them gave me any nasty surprises even though only two ads actually said suitable for a novice.

Marchogaeth

Visit site
I think it's open to interpretation? Yes I could be a way of describing a loon with making it sound ...well... Like a loon!
But equally it could be a way to describe really nice horse that requires a better, quieter rider, something a bit more foreword or sensitive, maybe a bit spooky or more of a complicated ride?
Quite often I think owners put it on add as they don't want there horse to go to a novice home!:)?
I would describe my Anglo Arab as 'not a novice ride', she never bucks or rears, will tack any rider round a 1m course, do a really nice dressage test and is as bombproof as they come! However she's sharp as anything and can get very strong, also if her rider upsets her she'll bolt. But for me, she's perfect! We have so much fun and I 100% trust her. But do to her nature I'd say she wasn't a novice ride? But that doesn't mean she's naughty:) xxx

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Not a novice ride can mean many different things but one thing it does always mean the owner does not want to sell the horse to a novice .
So that's really all a novice needs to know .

This ^^^ really. It means, if you are a novice, then you should look at another horse.

oldie48

Visit site
Ah, but the problem is "what is a novice?" which we've discussed several times on the forum. Some folks think if they've ridden at a RS for a couple of years and owned a quiet amenable horse for a year, then they are experienced but in my book that's still a novice. Also some people who have ridden for years don't ride that well and would struggle with a sensitive horse. It's a real minefield. Perhaps we should be more open about what makes the horse "not a novice ride" eg sensitive and forward going, won't suit every rider but safe, has a bit of a tendency to nap with a nervous rider but no problem if ridden with confidence etc etc Trouble is we want the best price we can get for our horses and that sometimes means they go to the wrong home. Yes some sellers are really honest and will tell a potential owner that it's not the horse for them, or even better weed them out on the telephone but there are too many who gloss over potential problems.
This ^^^ really. It means, if you are a novice, then you should look at another horse.

abracadabra

Visit site
That it needs a rider, not a passenger,

This

Not a novice ride can mean many different things but one thing it does always mean the owner does not want to sell the horse to a novice .
So that's really all a novice needs to know .

This

Nothing

It is totally meaningless without further information

and this.

Anything from -

I just don't want to sell it to a novice.
Green. So needs someone that can actually teach the horse a job.
Quirky. So needs someone that can actually handle the horse's quirks.
Sharp. So needs someone that is experienced enough to ride a sharp horse.
Last thing on my list would be it's a headbanger. It can literally be so many things I think you'd have to be fairly novice not to know that it can mean practically anything and not find out details, but just jump straight in at 'it's mental'. In which case it's probably not for you anyway.

mudmudmud

Visit site
If I wouldn't put my gran on it then to me it isn't a novice ride. None of my horses are what I'd class as a novice ride, but yet I still give riding lessons on our ex-games pony who actually 'teaches' children to ride, rather than be a passenger. But she is definitely not dangerous, and wont buck, bronc, rear, whatever.

jessjc

Chaddleworth, Berkshire (Wantage/Newbury)
Visit site
It's a tricky one. I know that people over-react to the statement "not a novice ride" on an advert, so avoided putting it on the advert for my youngster. Instead, I explained she was inexperienced and put "experienced/professionals only". On the phone I have talked to people about her in an open and honest way and explained that she's green and inexperienced and basically you need to think of her as a four year old not a six year old as she started late etc etc but that she has been to a couple of shows, XC schooled with eyes on stalks but jumped everything she was asked of incl water, ditch, steps etc she's schooling and jumping well and just needs to go out and see the world with a competent rider. She's not at all nasty, is calm to handle and has great quality and potential for dressage and eventing, although spooky....etc

And what do I get.. NOVICES!! Saying, she's "a bit too green" for me.

In one advert I described her as a "sensitive" mare. There were loads of enquiries, but all asked immediately about the sensitive statement. Adverts are a mine-field from both sides!

JadeyB

Visit site
I wouldn't necessarily be put off the this statement on an advert, if you like the look and sound of the horse, and are not a complete beginner then i'd probably get in touch and ask some more questions.

I wouldn't describe my boy as a novice ride, not because he's naughty in any way but because he's super sensitive about certain things, is massive and used to be a competition horse so if you press the right buttons you get a reaction which scares some people ;) saying that i've had my 2 year old niece sit on him, my boyfriend's kids and even my non riding boyfriend. I trust him completely and even rode while pregnant until the docs told me i couldn't.

Spring Feather

Visit site
It doesn't mean anything to me tbh. I don't really pay much attention to that phrase when I'm looking for a horse for myself as it can mean so many different things to so many different people.

Polar Bear9

Visit site
Tbh I think people should try not to use 'not a novice ride' on ads and instead specify what they mean. For example say 'I wouldn't want him to go to a first time buyer', 'suited to experienced competition home' or 'can spook/ be strong so please no novices'. That way its far easier for a buyer to sort out exactly what the seller means and so tell if they would be suitable. I think a lot of people skip over 'not a novice ride' ads thinking the horse will be a psychopath when in fact the seller just means it's not a riding school plod. I once saw a horse advertised as 'needs competent fearless rider who doesn't mind hitting the ground regularly', I think that's what a lot of people think is meant by 'not a novice ride' and it often isn't the case.

My mares was advertised as 'not a total novice ride' when I bought her. I would say she is a novice ride 99% of the time and I would (and have) put my granny and my 4 year old niece on her. She wouldn't be out of place as a kick-along riding school cob however she gets very strong jumping and can be spooky out and therefore I wouldn't sell her to someone who couldn't cope with that. I would rather put these points in an advert and weed out any buyers I thought couldn't cope when I talked to them than put 'not a novice ride' and have people think shes sharp, difficult and slightly nutty.

Hvickery

New User
Visit site
I would never count a "not a novice ride horse as dangerous". It simply should mean that you wouldn't put someone who hasn't been riding that long on board. I would never suspect it as dangerous? Maybe liable to a little buck or quite technical, things a novice would not cope with.

Sleipnir

Visit site
I consider my horse "not a novice ride". He is definitely not dangerous in the school, but may provide interesting moments while hacking if the rider is not confident and supporting enough - he has a history of spinning and bolting home with beginners. He is also still in training, thus, although he is not one to spin, buck, spook or bolt in the school, he needs consistent attitude and quickly starts napping/becoming heavy in hands/unresponsive to cues, if the rider just expects him to do all the job and isn't a strong-willed leader that his horse needs. With proper experience, he's a dream to ride anywhere, though! But I don't let novice riders on him off the lead because of these reasons.

Nymphea

Visit site
I would certainly advertise my horse as "not a novice ride" as although she is the perfect horse in every respect I wouldn't want her going to a novice home. I've had horses for around 25 years, and have several BHS qualifications but I consider myself to be a novice, nowadays many people consider themselves to be "experienced" after a year or so of riding.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I would certainly advertise my horse as "not a novice ride" as although she is the perfect horse in every respect I wouldn't want her going to a novice home. I've had horses for around 25 years, and have several BHS qualifications but I consider myself to be a novice, nowadays many people consider themselves to be "experienced" after a year or so of riding.

It's funny that, I've been riding for 22 years now, during which time I've shared, loaned and owned my own horses, have my BHS stage 1 and 2 and spent my teenage years working as a groom but I would still consider myself to be a novice in the grand scheme of things. This is mainly due to my lack of confidence after a horse I was viewing properly bolted with me and put me in hospital. I now own a rather green 7yo cob who has ironically helped me gain confidence by proving that I do have the ability to handle anything he throws at me but it's taken blood, sweat and tears and a supportive YO/great instructor to get where we are now.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
mmm, before one can determine what "not novice ride" means, then one first has to accurately define what a "novice" is............. sorry, being obvious here, BUT there are many definitions on what a "novice rider" is and is not.

I've been riding since I was seven years old, am now (ahem) over 50, but if I saw the words "not novice ride" then I would steer well clear. Having said that, some horses are very much a novice ride on certain occasions, but other times, not. Like my traddie cob - he can metamorphosise from a dope-on-a-rope into the demon-horse-from-hell at a moments notice when he feels like it!! But hey that's just horses innit???