What does yours do?

Visit site
I think I own one of the oddest mare's (in my opinion) out there.

So the following she only does for me, anyone else and your ignored :D
She prefers biscuits to carrots and apples but they have to be chocolate or the posh Borders Oat Crumbles. You have to call them bisqwuits in a high pitched voice and she proceeds to squeak and knicker at you.
Neighs squeaks and knickers at me when I walk round the corner.
Tosses her head squeaks ridiculous at food time.
Knickers at me every time I walk back to her if I have walked away.
Do her rugs in the stable without being killed - she tries to kill everyone else, the girls at the yard have to get her out of the stable to do her rug every morning.
Follows me around with no leadrope contact.
Be caught in the field without treats - when she is on a bring in from mon-fri the girls have to take bribes with them and still them sometimes have to leave her until last. I can catch her anytime of the day with no bribes.
I can pull her mane happily, she tries to kill anyone else who does it.
If im riding her and you come to chat to me she will pull a face at you, if another horse comes close to her when im on her or standing near her she pulls a face, flicks her tail and threatens with her back legs - she does not do this if shes tied up and im not near her or if someone else is riding her or got hold of her.

My friend calls her the Lesbian mare.

What does yours do for you? Surely my special poppet cant be the only odd ball out there! If I could upload the squeaky bisqwuit video I would!

Last edited:

Showmum

Visit site
Ah she sounds really cute and absolutely smitten with you! I've just got my boy (got him Saturday) and he belongs to my daughter. I don't ride but I'm sure I'll be doing 99% of the looking after bits for him. Looking forward to having all this love with him in the months to come! :)

applecart14

Visit site
  • My horse loves liquorice and dates, but hates turnips and swedes.
  • He would stand outside the horsewalker all day watching the others go round and each time would greet them by craning his neck forward and with his ears pricked no matter how many times they pull faces back at him.
  • If you were to turn him out after spending all week on box rest you could walk up to him in the paddock two minutes later and he would allow you to catch him.
  • If he sees an open door and a chance to escape his stable for a bit of fun, he will walk out very quietly and slowly in the hope that you don't notice and then spend the next five minutes saying hello to others over the stable door, only to be greeted with barred teeth and a scream or two! It still doesn't put him off - he is willing to be friends on anyones terms!
  • He will make it known that he wants a drink after a hack by shaking his head up and down.
  • He will stand quietly in his stable with his head over the door whilst the others are fed and wait his turn patiently whilst cooling down after a ride. He wouldn't dream of kicking the door, he is just patient.
  • He is frightened of large dock leaves yet is happy for a combine harvester to pass him within half a foot.
  • He is genuinely scared of a mud bank sloping down to a stream although he will happily do both without the other (if that makes sense) and I let him get away with it as he REALLY is frightened (I think he got stuck down an embankment as a foal).
  • He will join up within seconds (which was a bit of a disappointment to Monty at his demo!).
  • He will happily walk over tarpaulin but will freak at a xc fence that has been moved exposing dead grass underneath - often shying violently at flat out gallop :)
    • He is terrified of pigs to the point he will shake in terror.

But most of all he is my best friend and I wouldn't change him for the world.

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
My mare is a very affectionate to her human type, but a little indifferent to others.
I like it :)

I wouldn't be happy with OP horse though, it must be quite unpleasant for others to handle. I can leave mine with anyone to do thankfully

Spilletta

Visit site
I wouldn't be happy with OP horse though, it must be quite unpleasant for others to handle. I can leave mine with anyone to do thankfully

This! I would be highly embarrassed if my mare tried to "kill" anyone that needed to do anything with her.

She's not a particularly affectionate horse, so when she does have her fussy moments, it's very sweet. I'm not a "cuddly" person, so I get where she's coming from!

Visit site
This! I would be highly embarrassed if my mare tried to "kill" anyone that needed to do anything with her.

She's not a particularly affectionate horse, so when she does have her fussy moments, it's very sweet. I'm not a "cuddly" person, so I get where she's coming from!

She threatens with faces and legs and walks round and round whilst threatening with this.

If you had been treated like she was in the past you could appreciate your behavior.

But then again I forgot how much people like to turn fun nice tell me about your experiences or your horse posts into something negative on here.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
My Shetland goes crazy for salt and vinegar snack a jacks! he used to be totally uncatchable and if I was eating those and he heard the bag, he'd come legging it over and I was then able to blackmail him into the field shelter to catch him!

also even though he still doesn't like being caught he neighs at me every morning and comes over whilst I'm feeding the old girl, and waits for his bit of carrot! he will follow me around like a lamb and then gets really nervous when I catch him!

atropa

Visit site
OP I have a prolific squeaker too, it is the cutest, sweetest thing ever. I once heard her do a tiny, quiet, high pitched but full neigh which was hilarious.
She sneaks out of her stable super quietly when my back is turned and investigates the drawers opposite for treats... her old owner taught her to 'kiss' for treats and when she is desperate for one she sometimes does it autonomously.

9tails

Visit site
Mine takes liberties with me when rug changing, she likes to pull my trouser leg, but is a doll for others.

Damnation

Visit site
Mine hates being ridden by other people.

She is impecibaly behaved for me, looks to me for comfort/confidence etc. With other people she will do little things like stop to eat grass while being led (naughty girl!!).

My personal favourate is if I am mucking out and I ask her to move over, she dutifully moves over. She will then decide that where I am stood is where she *has* to be and tries to walk me out of the way. I will tell her to go back to where she was and she does with no issue.. Then stands.. and plots... then thinks "Aha! I have this sussed, if I BACK into the human, I can't see here and therefore she can't see me!" and she tries to bum me out of the way!

She doesn't kick and has never once in the 6 years I have owned her even lifted a leg at a human, I genuinely think she thinks I can't see her when she comes at me bum first! She only does it to me! :D

rachk89

Visit site
She threatens with faces and legs and walks round and round whilst threatening with this.

If you had been treated like she was in the past you could appreciate your behavior.

But then again I forgot how much people like to turn fun nice tell me about your experiences or your horse posts into something negative on here.

Eh just ignore those like that on here. A lot do like to think they have the perfect horse and accept nothing less, but its rarely true I've found.

I'm quite happy with my slightly bonkers gelding who thinks he is a stallion, even if he does mount the geldings when very frustrated.

He will willingly allow other horses to bite him anywhere at all. For no reason, he often deliberately irritates them so they bite him.

He uses that as well to get them to take his rugs/fly mask off if he no longer wants it on. No matter what the weather.

He has tried to throw off a professional rider before. He did not take kindly to that person, but was better behaved the second time. Hasnt tried it with anyone else except me actually. He is in his 'moody teenage' years of 7 and likes to have a tantrum now and then if he is schooling. Used to scare me as he would hop around and spin, but now I do kick him for it and yell NO! at him, which stops him.

He wont allow his mane to be pulled without dragging the handler and person doing the pulling around in circles for ages first. I have to admire their determination to beat him and they did, he eventually gave up and stood fine, but sulking.

He has to be sedated to be clipped, but the same person who pulled his mane wants to try without sedation. I have warned him, but he wants to try.

He also has a habit of escaping fields for little reason. He was seen trying to find a weak spot in the electric fencing one day, despite the fact its connected to the mains. He knows its on, just his brain isnt switched on.

Eh I love him either way. I'm not the best rider for him, and it was probably a stupid idea to buy him, but he's lovely, gentle when you need him to be, very forgiving, brave, and intelligent to an extent. And his movement is just amazing, never ridden a horse like him and doubt I will again. Just a shame he is grey and likes to try and match his bay buddies. :p

Spilletta

Visit site

OP, I’m sorry if you take offence at my comment suggesting that some of your horse’s behaviour isn’t ideal. However, it just worried me for her sake, and for the people who have to deal with her in your absence.

After her bad past life, it sounds like she’s found you to trust in, and maybe you are already working on the unwanted behaviours. For instance, you being with her in the stable to reassure her that other people changing her rug isn’t anything to be worried about. Hopefully this will make the times that you can’t be there to do her less stressful for her. And I’m sure the people who have to deal with her would be grateful.

I commented on the thread in the first place as it struck a chord with me. There are times when my horse winds herself up and can be awkward to handle, and I feel bad if it coincides with a time when someone else is dealing with her. Luckily, they know her of old, and she’s normally pretty good, and maybe I do just have a habit of feeling guilty too much.

The main issue I have with your original post is that it mentions chocolate biscuits, and I’ve since been craving some and expect I’ll give in and go and buy some later…:)