What exercise do you do to stay riding fit?

DirectorFury

Visit site
And yard work doesn't count ;).

I'm finding myself very inflexible and pretty flabby (normal BMI but it's not mostly muscle :oops:) so I'm looking for exercise inspiration. Yoga should help with the inflexible bit but I'm not sure about the flab! I'm doing a diet overhaul as I seem to eat tuna pasta 75% of the time which isn't exactly nutritionally complete.

Also, if anyone has a Peleton bike I'd be really interested in hearing what you think about it and how much use you get out of it.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Genuinely nothing lol. It was really noticeable when I was in Wilts and F was in Somerset so only doing weekends.
And my love of squats didn't particularly help my spending an hour in 2 point cantering round the woods with an ex hhoer.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm riding 3 most days and associated yard work but it's not enough at the moment, partly because the ground's so hard, I'm limited for fitness work hacking. I've just dug out my ancient mountain bike to slog up some hills while sobbing miserably about the heat / my lack of fitness / my distaste for riding things without a heartbeat!

Trinket12

Visit site
Pre COVID I was riding three to four times a week with some pilates and yoga thrown in. Which I found was good enough (and I have lost over a stone). Then we had the herpes quarantine, then she was lame and then COVID... still doing rehab so although riding it's only about 10 mins of trot.

As such, to maintain my cardio I had to go back to running again (not my favourite thing) and was doing that 2 or 3 times a week, then a work out at home and still some yoga. Now I run once a week, yoga after riding (or before depending on lesson time) and a work out at home (weights, core stuff).

I found my stamina has stayed the same thankfully, I haven't lost anymore weight but I also haven't put anything on either (which given how much baking I have been doing is a miracle!)

The plus has been while I am still working from home 5 days a week, I can take a break now to have a run at lunch or do a workout and I don't make excuses (or at least not as many ;-) )

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
My usual routine per week is
3x bootcamp
2x proper weights sessions
3 x 15-25 miles cycle
2 x 2 km swim.

My general fitness has been much better without a horse, but other than possibly being a little less achey the day after riding that's about it. But I am also coming from a being too bendy stand point, Frank always got the blame for some of my physical issues but I don't think any of us realised how much use that was actually doing until I stopped.

(I don't do pilates or yoga currently as they tend to flare my chronic pain situ up).

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I ride 5-6 times a week, stable chores, dog-walking, gardening and housework. It’s hard to fit anything else in addition to that around actual paid work which is sedentary. I’m not at all fit really and overweight and something is always hurting. I started yoga online back in Jan but struggled to keep it up and found some of it a bit too painful despite doing beginners really slowly. Hurt my wrist recently don’t know how but have had to wear a supportive wrist splint to rest it. My Achilles’ tendon is also painful with a lump on it so running out at the moment. Even dog walking hurts. Basically I’m falling apart ?.

canteron

Visit site
An Olympic dressage rider (can’t remember who) once said that your horse can never be more flexible than the rider and everyone over 30 should do flexibility exercises!
I try and do some weights, yoga stretches and Pilates style core work and it makes a huge difference to everyday life as well as riding!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I do very little now, but that is on or off the horse, so balanced :p

When I was being more serious about eventing, I rode for 4 hours at work, had 2 to ride at home and also did some 'spare time' running / swimming / cycling, as well as yoga / pilates. I was skinny as a lat! I also did a triathlon and some 10K runs, just because I was fit enough to do them.

I do think that when you are riding many horses a day, that really helps with riding fitness, as well as stickability and nerves. The running and other stuff helped with the XC puff, where I would sound like Darth Vader by the end if I didn't do extra work.

These days I Pootle about on a nice, small mare, so no need for great fitness. She is also the only one I ride. I do a bt of running, cycling and have a cross trainer, but it is very half-hearted. I think last week I cycled once 4 miles and ran 1 mile, and that was it! I am also still 3 stone heavier than when I took it seriously, but even that is 3 stone lighter than I was when I bought the little mare.

BBP

Visit site
I used to do pole dance and CrossFit and martial arts which kept me insanely fit. Then had a 5 year gap of not much at all due to illness and can agree that yard work alone (for 4 horses) is not enough. Even back when I was grooming for 20 it wasn’t the same as adding in some ‘real’ fitness stuff, I was just too exhausted to do it! Now I’m feeling better I’ve added in running to every dog walk, I stretch and do abs every night before bed which is making a huge difference, I do a 30min Jo Wicks or similar workout every other day. Now I know I can cope with those I plan to get my pole and my punchbag back out.

Bernster

Visit site
Not me but during lockdown a friend got a peleton and loves it. Has lost weight and is much fitter. Seems expensive to me and not my thing but she was very enthusiastic about it.

Sprat

Visit site
Following with interest. I currently do pilates a couple of times a week, generally ride 5-6 times a week.

I have a set of resistance bands and a dumbbell weight set at home, I really need to get into the habit of using them more than I do (currently sporadically once a week or so).

I detest cardio. I do actually like running but sadly my knees won't cope.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I thought a peleton was a flock of bikes being an arse to overtake on the road. WTF is this you're on about? I ought to google, but I'm lazy.

I have issues with running whereby I get obsessed and have been known to run until the point I throw up or pass out. I'm not temperamentally suited to cardio, I don't think!

DirectorFury

Visit site
Thanks all, lots to think about, yard work as exercise isn’t really an option (full livery and they’re living out atm too) which is why I excluded it.
I can’t be the only one impressed by the amount of exercise that Ester does?! :O

JFTD - a Peleton is a stupidly expensive spin bike that’s linked to the internet and you can remotely join classes etc. They’re 2k though :eek:.
My knees are ruined so I can’t run, hence thinking about biking! Treadmills and cross trainers make me super dizzy for some reason.

I’m not quite sure what I’ll do, ideally I’d go and be a working student somewhere in Spain and spend 3 years on the lunge with no stirrups but life won’t allow that.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Wow, OK, I googled and I'm more traumatised by the intensity and expense of them than I was the last time I accidentally google image searched for "mating pairs of great tits"... I'm still using the mountain bike I got when I was 11!

I'm also game for relocating to Spain and spending years without stirrups. That sounds fun.

Tarragon

Visit site
Pilates! I can't run for the life of me (and having 3 children have given me extra problems IYKWIM) but with Pilates I am flexible enough AND with a strong core. Two of my adult daughters (aged 19 and 21), currently living with us due to lock down, have their own daily gym routine and I do about 45 minutes of Pilates almost daily. I tried theirs and barely broke into a sweat and they found mine surprisingly difficult. I was very smug :)

daffy44

Visit site
I would make pilates compulsory for all riders!! It really is such a help with the things that improve riding, core strength, flexibility etc. Personally I do all my yard work, ride three or four a day, and I swim a mile three times a week (obviously that has stopped now due to CV, but I'll get back to it asap) and I do pilates approx four times a week. I detest running, cycling and the gym, so I stay well away!

Griffin

Visit site
I agree with daffy-44, Pilates is fantastic for riding.

I do Pilates three to four times a week and walk five days a week. I walk briskly and usually include walking uphill.

teapot

Visit site
Lots of long distance walking, took up running at start of lockdown, and a LOT of stretches/core work. Also going to go all out and say mind/wellness training too.

Want your horse to be loose and supple? You gotta be too physically and mentally.

Last edited:

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
I am really missing going swimming (at my workplace) 3 times a week.

I do a ballet workout DVD which is good for overall suppleness, balance and core strength; apparently some top footballers rate ballet highly for fitness. You certainly don't see any lardy ballerinas or gymnasts.

soloequestrian

Visit site
Zumba! Twice a week when not in prison - at the moment it's online and not as good but better than nothing. It varies by teacher - one of mine is really into balance and range of movement, the other more cardio and strength. I go because it is fun not because it's exercise so that's why it works for me.

Sprat

Visit site
Zumba! Twice a week when not in prison - at the moment it's online and not as good but better than nothing. It varies by teacher - one of mine is really into balance and range of movement, the other more cardio and strength. I go because it is fun not because it's exercise so that's why it works for me.

Zumba has always appealed to me, however I have the rhythm of a dying elephant so I've never been brave enough to actually try a class for fear of public humilation.

RHM

Visit site
Martial arts, so fun you don’t feel like working out. Try some of the free body combat classes on YouTube as a starting point. Since all gyms are shut at the start of lockdown I orders tons of strike pads and I spend my evenings practicing my kicks with OH (AKA kicking the shite out of him) would highly recommend if you have had a bad day!

Winters100

Visit site
Recently I have had to step this up as I am not riding. We have some steep sand hills near us from quarrying and I am running up these every day, plus running with the dogs in the forest every morning, rowing machine and trying to do pull ups (current count only 3 so not exactly impressive). If I am honest I don't really enjoy running, but the dogs are too big and not well behaved enough for bike leashes, so I can't really think of anything else for general fitness.

Wheels

Visit site
Lockdown has been great for my exercise regime!

I was struggling to get to the gym more than once a week (lack of time, lack of motivation) but now I dont have to commute 2.5hrs a day I have got the time I needed.

I have a bit of equipment here at home, weights, dumbbells, kettle bells, a rower, an wheel, skipping rope etc so I now workout every morning before work. Work from home at the minute so take the dog for a couple of miles brisk walk at lunch then ride in the evenings.

Now I also have time to plan meals and do more cooking rather than just being able to heat something up in works microwave at lunch time

I've lost 12lbs since lockdown started and my fitness has improved beyond anything it's been for a very long time

skint1

Visit site
I'm not riding at the moment but I realised that part of my problem was me, my size and weight and lack of fitness.
I walk (with and without horse) and aim for 10k steps a day minimum, I do yoga, barre and 7 min HIIT every day, just small amounts 10-20 mins each. . Diet wise I watch the carbs and fat but am not "dieting" I got a yoga ball and when I am stuck on Zoom calls I sit on that and try and use my core to stablise myself (have only fallen once hahah) The first 3-4 weeks of lockdown I did nothing but eat, but sometime in mid April I started this and have so far lost 10lbs. I'm doing 3 months rehab with my horse (sacral issues) I would like to have lost a couple of stone by time I have to ride her again I will be an easier load to carry. In this way, lockdown has been a gift to me, I have the time and effort to put into it and I would kick myself if I didn't take the opportunity to do something- like Wheels says.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
When I was in the office, I used to use the work gym for:

1 pilates class
1 legs, bums and tum class
1 spin class
2 boxercise classes

If I couldn't make a class, I'd swap it either for gym time.

Now I'm not at the gym I'm doing

2 online yoga/pilates classes (just off YouTube) and walking 3-4 times a week (with weights) for 3-5 miles at a time. I've tried running, but it's too high impact for my knee - but brisk walking doesn't seem to affect it. I can walk 3 miles in 45 minutes, so I'm pretty quick.

I'm an adult on a native pony, so always pretty conscience of my weight for him!

soloequestrian

Visit site
Zumba has always appealed to me, however I have the rhythm of a dying elephant so I've never been brave enough to actually try a class for fear of public humilation.
Maybe it's different in less rural areas, but here no-one would give a fig if you were out of rhythm. One of my teachers says she had a student for years who just leapt around at the front of the class, doing her own thing. You can always go at the back anyway!