What happens to our horses if there is a WW3?

Michen

Visit site
Whilst the subject of this thread is doom and gloom I think (could be wrong!) that perhaps people can take some comfort just knowing that they have a plan. Even although this is an extremely unlikely situation. I mean there's next to no chance of me winning the Euromillions but you can bet your house that I have a plan for if I do!

I am a head in the sand type person when it's things like this that I can have absolutely no influence over and I wouldn't say that it's affecting me. However I am struggling to wrap my head around things that are happening in parallel. Like what is happening in Ukraine but one of the bosses has booked a other skiing trip to France in the next few weeks. There's a thread like this and tomorrow there will be a weekend plans one where everyone is off for lessons or competitions. I'm not saying that people should be putting g their lives on hold, far from it, but it just feels surreal what's happening with Russia and in Ukraine compared to life carrying on as normal *

*normal for a forgotten about pandemic anyway

I completely agree and am really struggling with that (and then feel bad for even saying I’m struggling because frankly it seems self indulgent given what others are going through). Swinging from booking horse stuff and consumed by work to “this is so ridiculous and pointless and superficial”. I took my mum out for her birthday last night, sat down and burst in to tears.

I have NOTHING to cry about, I’m basically ashamed of myself, I didn’t cry over Afghan and that should have hit home just as hard. I suppose this is more “relatable” because there is a threat to us now too in a very different way.

It just seems pathetic to be having things like riding lessons. But if we don’t carry on then what do we do long term as this isn’t going away any time soon.

palo1

Visit site
I completely agree and am really struggling with that (and then feel bad for even saying I’m struggling because frankly it seems self indulgent given what others are going through). Swinging from booking horse stuff and consumed by work to “this is so ridiculous and pointless and superficial”. I took my mum out for her birthday last night, sat down and burst in to tears.

I have NOTHING to cry about, I’m basically ashamed of myself, I didn’t cry over Afghan and that should have hit home just as hard. I suppose this is more “relatable” because there is a threat to us now too in a very different way.

It just seems pathetic to be having things like riding lessons. But if we don’t carry on then what do we do long term as this isn’t going away any time soon.

I think the impact on all of us has been cumulative. The last few years have seen some really appalling trauma and inhumanity globally and as we are more globally connected than ever before, it does all feel like it relates to us or can be close to us in some way. The pandemic has been really difficult for many of us too so to have this ghastly, inhumane tragedy happening on our doorstep just kind of tops it really. The last 2 years have felt somewhat unreal and it is hard to keep reminding ourselves that this is real, it is now when in other ways we can just tootle along with the horses and other 'normal' stuff. It is horrible in a community mental health/psychological sense!!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Poor old Warrior, the horse owned by Brough Scott's grandfather, that survived WWI and came home to be a successful point to pointer and hunter, and was still being ridden in his 20s, was PTS on the outbreak of the Second World War. That was very sad, but he was eating quite a large amount of oats to keep his weight on, and the old soldier who owned him knew that it wouldn't be easy to find enough food for him.

Visit site
I have also wondered what I’d do. I don’t think I could flee and leave them behind - they would either have to come with me or I would stay. We do have eighteen acres and they are at home so I’d just open all of the gates and let them have the lot if we couldn’t get hay etc. they have water and shelter out there too so would be fine.
I’ve seen the map of where would be affected if London was bombed and we are out of the area thank goodness being in Lincs but if Birmingham was targeted that would be a different story.
Hoping and praying it will never happen!

tristar

Visit site

keeping up normality is where sanity can be found, and do not let anything or anyone take away your source of happiness, you enjoy your horses they are where you go for joy, a part of your day that calms and makes sense in mad world

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
If war broke out in the UK tbh we would just barricade ourselves in our little property. We could grow a fair amount of our own food and the horses would be alright as long as we could still get hay. Given my line of work I'm not sure doing a bunk would be particularly patriotic anyway.

I do often think about what we would do if there was some sort of climate apocalypse though (probably considerably more likely than nuclear war), like large scale flooding etc. I'd like to get a horse drawn caravan at some point and break the big horse to drive. Would like to have the option of us all just hitting the road

Michen

Visit site
If war broke out in the UK tbh we would just barricade ourselves in our little property. We could grow a fair amount of our own food and the horses would be alright as long as we could still get hay. Given my line of work I'm not sure doing a bunk would be particularly patriotic anyway.

I do often think about what we would do if there was some sort of climate apocalypse though (probably considerably more likely than nuclear war), like large scale flooding etc. I'd like to get a horse drawn caravan at some point and break the big horse to drive. Would like to have the option of us all just hitting the road

Hmm, am just thinking back to the beast from the east and my unsucessful attempts to attach a tyre behind Boggle and have him drag us around.

Might need to revist that one.

Xmas lucky

Visit site
It’s a important discussion to have no matter how difficult it is. Russian president is a very unstable mentality unwell he has already threatened Europe with nuclear bombs a few days ago. Op I don’t think we have time to do anything once you get the warning you have 20 minutes or get out of the area as quick as you can. So unfortunately there is nothing we can do for horses.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Apologies if this thread has upset anybody or flared up any unwelcome thoughts or ideations,

Agreed not a nice thread to have made but it’s been on my mind a lot.

i Appreciate the discussion everyone’s had!

Here’s to keeping as safe as can be xx

Don't apologise, nobody has to open it/read it/comment on it if they don't want to, and the title is a bit of a giveaway.

I'm sorry that so many people are so very anxious but maybe it helps to know that the same thoughts are going through others' minds.

HG95

Visit site
I thought being up north we'd have half a chance of being safe but it looks like we're in the radiation zone of a few blast hotspots. There would be no chance of us getting out in 20 minutes to a safe area. I think now more than ever I'm trying to live as care free a life as possible. I want to make the most of the opportunities whilst I can as the whole situation in Ukraine has made me realise just how quickly your life can change.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Such a sickening thought really. I keep having real nightmares of literally grabbing my family and animals and the practicalities of packing them all into our car and trailer and deciding where to go. I consider myself "lucky" (perhaps naively) that I live rurally in Scotland with the nearest city 35 miles away (and not the biggest like Glasgow). We have land so could become pretty self-sufficient and we are also surrounded by farmland. Lots of natural water supplies nearby too so I dont think it would be impossible to stay where we are. Although I imagine we'd be pretty flooded with city dwellers coming out to the country looking for safety.

Ultimately Ive got 3 young kids and I really feel very guilty for what Ive brought them into with this going on. Covid was the worry before, that seems to have gone by the wayside for something which could potentially be far worse for them.

Winters100

Visit site
Whilst the subject of this thread is doom and gloom I think (could be wrong!) that perhaps people can take some comfort just knowing that they have a plan. Even although this is an extremely unlikely situation. I mean there's next to no chance of me winning the Euromillions but you can bet your house that I have a plan for if I do!

I am a head in the sand type person when it's things like this that I can have absolutely no influence over and I wouldn't say that it's affecting me. However I am struggling to wrap my head around things that are happening in parallel. Like what is happening in Ukraine but one of the bosses has booked a other skiing trip to France in the next few weeks. There's a thread like this and tomorrow there will be a weekend plans one where everyone is off for lessons or competitions. I'm not saying that people should be putting g their lives on hold, far from it, but it just feels surreal what's happening with Russia and in Ukraine compared to life carrying on as normal *

*normal for a forgotten about pandemic anyway

I understand how you feel, and I have in the last days even felt a little irritated when someone contacts me to meet for a coffee or something trivial, but there is a reality that life does have to go on. Even for the refugees who we are hosting I see that they do take pleasure in trivial things, and so they should. Our municipality has made most activities free for refugees, and earlier OH took the 2 adults and boys to the the swimming pool - they had a great time. The daughter is pony mad (she landed in the right place), so I took her to the yard to ride my schoolmistress. She already has an equestrian wardrobe about 3 times bigger than mine since I mentioned to some other Mothers that she would like to ride, plus pony duvet covers and pillow cases.

The reality is that all we can do is to help where we reasonably can, while still keeping our commitments to our own family, be aware of what is happening elsewhere, but not controlled by it. This could go on for a long time, so we need to be able to continue helping, but not in a way that makes us unable to enjoy other things outside of this situation.

I would say keep an eye on what is going on, help where you can, but also remember that putting our lives on hold helps none.

minesadouble

Visit site

It's definitely not pathetic to carry on doing the things you love.
All any of us have is this moment. We could be be in a fatal car crash tomorrow or be diagnosed with a life limiting illness next week!
I've never shed a tear over any war and I certainly don't feel bad about it. It's not helpful, if you want to make a practical contribution then do so. Definitely don't beat yourself up about not feeling emotional about a situation because you think you should.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
If I though they would suffer and I had time I would pts if it was spare of moment I would try and keep them with me, but they are probably better left on there own and could survive better than we could.

scats

Visit site
A friend of mine burst into tears the other day, quite unexpectedly. She later admitted she is really worried about the situation in Ukraine and the chance of us being attacked.
I genuinely don’t have any anxieties about it happening here. Obviously I am appalled and saddened by the situation in Ukraine, and I will be forever bemused by the choices that some humans make to destroy peoples lives.
If the worst happened, we’d deal with it. Some of us might not make it, some of us will. You never know what’s round the corner anyway, war aside, so my advice would be to book that lesson, go to that competition, buy the horse… life is for living and you only get one go at it.

Sandstone1

Visit site
While I agree it makes sense to think about it and be prepared if possible, in reality if its comes to nuclear war we are all pretty much done.
We can only hope and pray that it does not come to it.
Thinking its not going to effect us in the UK is a bit simplistic in my view. we are only about 3 hours from Ukraine. Its going to hit our pockets if nothing else.
I find this thread very depressing and upsetting. I fear its quite damaging to peoples mental health and I will not be opening it again.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm going ahead with getting fitter and having lessons etc, and plans to book that ride out with Adventure Clydesdales on Dartmoor in the summer that I have been promising myself for years.

I was doomscrolling for every update, but I've stopped that now. I do keep up by listening to the R4 Today program every morning, and then the evening BBC TV news, but in between those I just catch the hourly news bulletins if I'm near a radio.

tristar

Visit site
Apologies if this thread has upset anybody or flared up any unwelcome thoughts or ideations,

Agreed not a nice thread to have made but it’s been on my mind a lot.

i Appreciate the discussion everyone’s had!

Here’s to keeping as safe as can be xx

we are in this mess just because heads were in the sand, no one wanted to get to the dirty part of what if, well now we are there without a good plan

so its very important to make a plan if possible

NinjaPony

Visit site
If there is a nuclear strike we will have 20 minutes warning, so I’ll be ringing the yard to ask them to give him a huge pile of hay so at least he goes happily, then ringing my family whilst holding my cat. Hopefully v unlikely.

In the more likely event of a protracted and economically painful ground war, I’ll be carrying on as usual with my pony, who is retired and lives very quietly, as far as I possibly can while he is still happy. All we can do really. If things get really bad he would be PTS as he is mid 20s, and has Cushings and arthritis. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that, I’ll do my best for him as far as possible.

Peglo

Visit site
Since we’re stuck on an island I half thought having a boat and somewhere to launch it less than a mile away might be useful. Don’t think I’d get 1 horse, 2 ponies, 3 cats, 7 hens, (not admitting to the amount of) cockerels and OH on it with me though. ?

I’m sorry people are feeling anxious about it all though. I must admit I feel terrible for the Ukraine but haven’t thought too much more other than their war atm. I’m a see what happens kind of person though.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
When the possibility of nuclear war reared its ugly head, my BIL's reaction was that they had better get their narrowboat close to the very long Crick tunnel so they could take refuge in there. My sister told him not to be so daft. If it was to happen she would prefer to go out as quickly as possible. Hiding in a tunnel would only give you a very short respite, not worth the effort.

Parrotperson

Visit site
Tbh I think you’re all missing the point.
If this goes to WW3 then practically no one or nothing survives. If (and it’s a big if) you survive the first strike you’ll be too busy just surviving the second and third. I’ve already decided if it comes to it to have all my pets pts. Far kinder. If I’m around to make that decision.

Nuclear winter follows. The planet’s a goner.

no point in worrying about it.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
If this goes to WW3 then practically no one or nothing survives. If (and it’s a big if) you survive the first strike you’ll be too busy just surviving the second and third. I’ve already decided if it comes to it to have all my pets pts. Far kinder. If I’m around to make that decision.

Exactly

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

Actually, it is clear that most people very much get the point.

But thanks for the reminder, just in case any of us had forgotten …

Parrotperson

Visit site
Actually, it is clear that most people very much get the point.

But thanks for the reminder, just in case any of us had forgotten …

my point being that none of the plans people have are in anyway sustainable or even sensible. People aren't being realistic about it. at all. There's no point in "how do we look after our horses in the event...." because they'll all be dead or we will be. Kindest thing PTS if it all kicks off.

We just have to hope it doesn't happen.

For my part I hope someone within the Russian military does for Putin before he gets to press the button.