What happens to our horses if there is a WW3?

palo1

Visit site
Disagree. Putin is practically a dead man walking and I don't think he would care about blowing up himself and the world frankly. This is not a rational person, we shouldn't make the mistake of thinking he is capable of rational thinking.

I think the only thing that would prevent it is his miltary.

Putin has said a number of times, and in line with his ideology, that if there is no Russia (as he wants it) there is no need for the world to exist. He is not surrounded particularly by independent or rational voices either. I don't think we are facing nuclear annihilation at this point but I do think he would be absolutely prepared to use nuclear weapons tactically. This is not a safe situation but it is still recoverable.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Putin has said a number of times, and in line with his ideology, that if there is no Russia (as he wants it) there is no need for the world to exist. He is not surrounded particularly by independent or rational voices either. I don't think we are facing nuclear annihilation at this point but I do think he would be absolutely prepared to use nuclear weapons tactically. This is not a safe situation but it is still recoverable.

Rhetoric and action are very different. Again I can pull out numerous examples, even Donald Trump! Rhetoric is a strong political motivation especially if it looks good on TV.

I am not generally an optimistic person on human nature but even in an insane world there will always be someone with an element of sanity. I don't see there being a good way out for Ukraine. I think it will be decimated. Yet, I do not think we need to be worrying about nuclear war.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I have alot of animals at home and the thought of what I'd do during an evacuation terrifies me. Realistically I would only be able to move/temporarily house maybe not even half of them in a rush....it doesn't bear thinking about. The horses are only down the road and live out.
If it was a nuclear war then it's all a moot point really ?‍♀️?‍♀️

Barney_Roy

New User
Visit site
In 1938, Italian-bred thoroughbred, NEARCO retired unbeaten in 14 races. He was sold to Newmarket for £60,000 (then world record) because the owner (Federico Tesio) was worried about the forthcoming war. Newmarket had bombing-proof shelter.

NEARCO went on to become the patriarch of several of the most dominant sire lines in Thoroughbred history. Had he killed in the war time, you would've killed at least 99% Group winner horses today (in the last 25 years at least)

SO1

Visit site
I live in London no hope for me if it was nuclear. Horse in Berkshire so if I was dead and none of my family or friends could get to him I hope YO would do something.

I expect if we were in the mist of a nuclear war there would be nobody available to PTS but that would be my choice. Radiation would mean any survivors may be riddled with cancer and we would not have the drugs to treat vast numbers.

It is a sobering thought.

I hope it never comes to this. I am glad I don't have children and am nearly 50 I fear for the world and young people.

HorseMaid

Visit site
I've got access to drugs at work that could, if necessary, put my family to sleep which is an AWFUL thought but better than the alternative of a slow death by radiation poisoning. I think I know where the farmer keeps his gun so I'd shoot the horses. If it wasn't as bad as that (not nuclear) I like to think my horse could actually make herself useful as a fetcher and carrier of things, message carrier etc but I think I'm being a bit fanciful there, she'd probably be better shot and eaten. All incredibly depressing really.

GreyDot

Visit site
This is a horrible thread. Mainly because it's on a lot of our minds. Horrible that we are thinking this way, horrible because it is a possible reality.
Where there is life there is hope, so I would be keeping myself, my animals and my loved ones alive and in the best situation they could be for as long as. You never know who pulls through in tough times. I don't think I could pre-empt and see the light go out their eyes for the sake of.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Thanks all for your replies,

I wonder how the Ukrainian horses are doing, if there’s any kind of appeal they have going we can support?

I’m not sure they are the same as us, livery yard wise??

I read somewhere that the FEI(?) had sent a sizeable donation to Ukraine to help towards horses in the country.
It is an awful thought, but they would be better off being let free to roam probably, so long as there was grass to eat and water, rather than relying on a human to have to get to look after them.

Coblette

Visit site
I actually had this very question in my head last night, trying to work out what we would do in the worst case scenario and then I told myself, you are mad, surely no one else is thinking about this! Sadly I’m not mad and clearly lots of others are having the same thoughts. What an awful situation :(

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
OH has enough guns and ammunition that i think we could put all of our immediate contacts out of their misery if necessary :confused:
I suppose it's nice to be prepared?!

I did start googling Go Bags last night.. i think i might be slightly losing the plot.

palo1

Visit site
Well I definitely shouldn't have read this thread. My anxiety is through the roof ?
What horrible times we live in. I truly hope nothing in this thread ever comes to be.

I am sorry you are so anxious; I think this thread is sort of helpful because people are voicing their worst fears. I think those fears will really not be realised but somehow it can help to voice those things sometimes. I personally think the worst case scenario will not be remotely applicable. These are difficult times indeed but for the moment we, in the UK are ok and our animals thankfully are oblivious to the fears of their owners! I feel sure we will all come through this too.

palo1

Visit site
Can we change the subject please. This thread is doing none of us any good.

Yes, I think it probably would be good to move on! Sometimes though it is good to voice your worst fears and know that you are not on your own. For some folk I think they do find it useful and reassuring to have a plan for the worst case scenario. We are all a very long way from that and long may that continue. It might be better for some of us though to put this aside having at least had a tiny peep at the subject!! I don't feel particularly freaked out by thinking about it as I am quite interested in the practicalities of disaster planning and management lol.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I am sorry you are so anxious; I think this thread is sort of helpful because people are voicing their worst fears. I think those fears will really not be realised but somehow it can help to voice those things sometimes. I personally think the worst case scenario will not be remotely applicable. These are difficult times indeed but for the moment we, in the UK are ok and our animals thankfully are oblivious to the fears of their owners! I feel sure we will all come through this too.
yeah this. having these thought swirling round in your head, thinking you're daft for having them is not particularly helpful. it's good to share ;)

Snowfilly

Visit site
OH has enough guns and ammunition that i think we could put all of our immediate contacts out of their misery if necessary :confused:
I suppose it's nice to be prepared?!

I did start googling Go Bags last night.. i think i might be slightly losing the plot.

This subject matter aside, a little Go Bag is a very sensible precaution we should all have to hand. Bottle of water, phone charger, some spare pain meds and any drugs, a toothbrush and toothpaste, a list of important contact details, spare glasses / contacts, some socks, some pens / paper, a foil blanket and a spare £50 if you can.

Very useful if you need to leave the house in a hurry - I’ve only ever needed mine for going into hospital with sick relatives but it made it so much less stressful. It sits at the end of the bed, takes up hardly any space and I swap the water / medicines out once a month. But it would also work for floods, fires and running from a dangerous partner.

Ex police friend swears by them.

Gallop_Away

Visit site
Oh gosh sorry guys I didn't mean to imply this thread shouldn't have been made. It's an open forum where people should feel comfortable to discuss any topic they like.
I'm annoyed at myself for reading it when I know I'm struggling with my anxiety at the moment, and annoyed at the mess of a world we are living in, that is causing people feel the need to discuss things like this x

palo1

Visit site
Oh gosh sorry guys I didn't mean to imply this thread shouldn't have been made. It's an open forum where people should feel comfortable to discuss any topic they like.
I'm annoyed at myself for reading it when I know I'm struggling with my anxiety at the moment, and annoyed at the mess of a world we are living in, that is causing people feel the need to discuss things like this x

No worries at all!! I think it is sad that the thread is one that anyone is finding relevant but I do think it can help with those horrible 2am anxieties if you know others are also wondering (with more, less or the same level of anxiety) about things.

TPO

Visit site
Whilst the subject of this thread is doom and gloom I think (could be wrong!) that perhaps people can take some comfort just knowing that they have a plan. Even although this is an extremely unlikely situation. I mean there's next to no chance of me winning the Euromillions but you can bet your house that I have a plan for if I do!

I am a head in the sand type person when it's things like this that I can have absolutely no influence over and I wouldn't say that it's affecting me. However I am struggling to wrap my head around things that are happening in parallel. Like what is happening in Ukraine but one of the bosses has booked a other skiing trip to France in the next few weeks. There's a thread like this and tomorrow there will be a weekend plans one where everyone is off for lessons or competitions. I'm not saying that people should be putting g their lives on hold, far from it, but it just feels surreal what's happening with Russia and in Ukraine compared to life carrying on as normal *

*normal for a forgotten about pandemic anyway