what has he done to my horses hoof!?

lovecharles

Visit site
No i know your not
smile.gif

i just wish i'd noticed.

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
that would also explain why you didn't notice when you picked out yesterday.

i think because it's sprung/pulled backwards it makes it look like the foot hasn't been shaped to fit the shoe... but there are defo sanding/rubbing/shaping marks on the wall.

i'd give the farrier the benefit of the doubt, like you say, he's been good til now.

also, i'm not entirely sure farriers cut a place for the clip, i thought they just hammered the clip in to fit snugly and hold it on?

merlinsquest

Visit site
I would be worried that if there are toe clips on the other shoes that the one on this shoe is embedded somewhere in the horses toe!!

Nailed....when you say you dont cut clip bed.....what do you mean?

All my farriers have cut a place out for toe clips..... or do you mean something different??

ets.... place not chunk!!!

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]

All my farriers have cut a chunk out for toe clips..... or do you mean something different??

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure i've never had a farrier cut a chunk out.
confused.gif

ets: or even a small 'bed' for them. how bizarre, there must be different ways to shoe i guess?

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
that would also explain why you didn't notice when you picked out yesterday.

i think because it's sprung/pulled backwards it makes it look like the foot hasn't been shaped to fit the shoe... but there are defo sanding/rubbing/shaping marks on the wall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh i see now!
grin.gif
Okay, i change my mind haha.

Nailed

Visit site
well they shouldnt cut beds with cutters,

Usually they are seared in or use a pairing knife to shave the top (even this isnt encourage)

Lou x

merlinsquest

Visit site
Yes thats it, a paring knife is used to take the burnt bit out.... thats what I mean...... all my farriers have done this
smile.gif

My use of the word chunk was a bit misleading
grin.gif

flowerlady

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
bloody good job he's coming to sort it first thing tomorrow.
mad.gif

i didn't even notice till today when I picked out his feet! (were done yesterday). feel silly and guilty
blush.gif

CIMG1464.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

One this picture you can see the front of the shoe and it has not got a clip on and so has slid back.

If I were you I would insist he personally shoes your horse himself or find another farrier.

My farrier is a training farrier and I have recently had to ask him to come himself and not send the other farriers (fully trained ones) as I was not satisfied with the work.

It does't matter how nice they are we pay enough so they should do the job properly.
mad.gif

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
shoe looks thicker than mine, could do with some that thick!

I would imagine that it slipped slightly due to lack of toe clip if horse was peeing about etc in the field and then been trodden on to pull it and get it to move that much, is that what you are suggesting lou?

Personally our only real issues soon after shoeing is shoes spreading on one of our horses but this has only happened the odd time.

Nailed

Visit site
yes ester, Unclipped shoes actually have habit of stayin gon better.. that shoe has been sprung and it is not down the the fault of the farrier entirely.

Lou x

ester

Visit site
good, am thinking right then. thought we could just do with a summary!

Am never sure that the term 'sprung' is that helpful as it gives images (well at least to me) or shoes pinging off all over the place! a bit like those rubber popper things you invert and stick on the table.
grin.gif

flowerlady

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
she shoe not slipped back, it cant, there are nails in the foot, the shoe has been pulled to get it move that much.

Lou x

[/ QUOTE ]

If the nails come up like they have on this pic the shoe can move especially with no clip. I've seen them move even with clips. Sorry nailed but on this occasion from the photo's they should not be let near a horse until they are more experienced. I know they have to learn but I do not want them learning on my horse. lol I wouldn't want him laming.

ester

Visit site
lol really!!

We had quite a bit of rain here last night and it always makes our 2 run around, field is full of skid marks this morning.

Nailed

Visit site
FL the nails have come out because the shoe has either been stood on or got caught on something..

NOT ONCE, in this post have i defended an apprentices right to practise and im not going down that route cause ill get my hair off..

BUT there is no one on this earth that an apprentice who had been practising even a MONTH would leave a hoof in that state!

Nailed

Visit site
oh and noone suggested the shoe cant slip...

You said that without a clip the shoe can slip.. NO there are nails in the hoof, but if the shoe is pulled, as in this case, then of course the shoe can mve.

LankyDoodle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
well he prehaps isn't an apprentice, but he still needed guidence from head bloke.

brighteyes - i wasn't sure what to do. looking closely at it, it has not punctured and he is not at all lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if he isn't an apprentice, are you saying he is a fully qualified farrier?
blush.gif

rubyrumba

Visit site
If they had left the foot like this then i think someone would've noticed, especially when the horse walked on!