what has he done to my horses hoof!?

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I suspect your horse has trodden on his own foot with his other one and pulled the shoe partly off. It looks as if it's slewed sideways as he did it.
I do hope I'm right other wise your farrier wants shooting.
We received a cheque from Axa insurance today paying for the lost entry fees and vet charges when an incompetent farrier shod my daughter's horse and lamed him to the point of sweating and shaking within half an hour.. He had cut back the foot so far it was pinching him horribly.
His insurance covered him and I know you aren't supposed to make derogatory comments, but guys if you live near Ottery St Mary and your farrier's name rhymes with stew it, avoid him like the plague.. daughter was working near there and used him just that once..
frown.gif

TheFarrier

jamesthefarrier.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
OMG!! thats disgusting.... I thought apprentices were not allowed to shoe horses..? If that was me I would be having a very stern word with the farrier....I would demand the shoeing was done for free.... no excuse for that at all....
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they are allowed to shoe, as and when appropriate and under guidance. The fault here especially if this was an apprentice is the farrier who was not watching him.

How else do you think we learn? Four years watching then an exam and we can go and shoe horses?
confused.gif
If thats the case my wife would make a great farrier

Lonesome_Dove

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
That shoe has been pulled and slipped.. not fitted like that!

Lou x

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I was thinking - my horse did the same thing the day after being shod, and my then farrier was fantastic. The shoe did actually come off before he could repair it, but he was out within 2 days and he fixed it, for nothing.

TheFarrier

jamesthefarrier.co.uk
Are we looking a front foot here? The trimming job isnt the best it actually doent look like it was done yesterday (or at all if i am honest, there are some rasp marks on the outside but the sole has not been trimmed and the shoe hasnt been seated. The foot does not look balanced or level but it also looks like it could just have been a flare that was removed

You say all four feet had clips? Where is the clip now? It could be that its sprung and he has stepped on the clip you need to have the farrier back out!!

If this is just a poor job then you need the boss to come back out and do this foot himself teaching the apprentice where he/she has gone wrong.

what do the other feet look like?

TheFarrier

jamesthefarrier.co.uk
If that is how the horse walked away you would notice it. I doubt a training farrier would not double check himself that the job done was ok. Or he should be.

Its more likely that the horse stepped on the shoe himself.

Pep12

Visit site
nasty job. Can't believe he didn't check the apprentices work during and after the job!! Another point to those of you who are going on about toe clips. With some corrective shoeing there are no clips involved and there is no correct way to go about this, it is apparently tradition that syas 1 clip on front and 2 clips on back. very many horses have 2 clips on front and even no clips at all if their toe is in danger of becoming "loaded"

kick_On

Visit site
I have just seen this - i hope your on phone PDQ to your farrier, i'm hoping your horse has stepped on shoe himself

IF NOT i would be totally hoping about this lack of care and would give farrier chance to sort -PDQ _ if not i would be on the case of going down line of reporting this cr*p work as i can't bring myself to call it workmanship!!!!

Hope you get it sorted pdf and i farrier can't sort 2day and shoe flapping and making horse go lame - i would take shoe OFF!!!!

christine48

Visit site
Are you sure that the farrier did that? It looks like the horse has trod on the shoe, half pulled it off and stod on it again. I only say that cos ours have done the same thing to their shoes in the past when turned out without over reach boots.